Fire in Seaview Circle - Which Season cliffhanger could it have worked?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Julia's Gun, Mar 5, 2018.

?

During which season cliffhanger could a fire in Seaview Circle have worked best?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2018.
  1. Season 3 - Val knocks over an electric heater as she leaves the house and Gary - flames ensue...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Season 4 - Richard's dodgy wiring causes the Avery house to explode - Laura: First Ciji, now this!

12.5%
  3. Season 5 - St Clare left a bomb in the McKenzie's house as well - Karen shot and house explodes too!

25.0%
  4. Season 7 - Val trashing Ben's beach house: orchids catch fire, Gary arrives and flames trap both...

25.0%
  5. Season 9 - Frank & Julie confront Jill at Val's - she shoots both and torches the WIlliams house...

37.5%
  1. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Knots Landing avoided the obviously silly fire/exploding house cliffhangers (well apart from early Season 12). But if they had included a blaze in seaview circle, which season could it have worked best?

I'm thinking of the end-of-season cliffhangers. I give 5 options above, but feel free to add your own season/cliffhanger if you want! Dallas had the famous Southfork fire, Falcon Crest blew up Richard's house and later the Geobertis... But could a Knots Landing fire have spiced things up here too?

(I know Ben's beach house wasn't in the cul-de-sac, but seeing Val & Gary surrounded by flames would surely have enhanced that lame season 7 cliffhanger?)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,401
    I don't know which season but I'd have liked Linda Fairgate to catch fire.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,999
    I would have tuned in to see Linda catch fire at the close of every episode, if they could have. Maybe like how they killed Kenny in every episode of the early seasons of South Park.

I would also have enjoyed (more than I ought to) Joshua setting fire to himself as he jumped/fell off that roof, to go out in a sort of "Susan-Flannery-in-The-Towering-Inferno" blaze of glory.

I'm leaning toward the season nine option, though I would have had Jill set fire to Val's house rather than the Avery/Williams house, since the stakes would be higher with the twins supposedly asleep in another room. I'm just reluctant to torch any house on the cul-de-sac because I'm sure the real-life homeowners would have had a cow when the producers ran the idea past them. At one point in the series they built a replica of "Val's porch" in the studio--perhaps they could have set that thing on fire, since it looked so fake nobody would have missed it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    And at the end of season 12 it looked as if something like that was going to happen. Why didn't they do it?

Anyway, I'd probably replace it with a cliffhanger I didn't like: season 13.
    Place: the Galveston ranch. Possible victims: Anne and Paige. Whodunit: Vanessa! Done!

5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,401
    Fixed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    I think Meg should have killed Mary Robeson (and no-one would suspect her).

Incidentally, did we ever find out who killed her? It may have been Meg after all!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,999
    I believe her brother Joe Robeson killed the old battle-axe by hitting her over the head with an ashtray (?). Smoking kills, indeed.

Sweet little Meg would never kill anybody. I never did trust that shifty-eyed little Betsy Gibson, though....o_O The fact that she knew Val wasn't dead all that time....I'm guessing the "JR genes" in that family had to pop up somewhere else. She might also have had a penchant for playing with matches.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    Yeah, she could have accidentally set the Galveston ranch on fire. Those who were near the ranch at the time it happened could have been "suspects" (but I guess that would be too similar to Danny's death).

9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,999
    Maybe Lilimae could have had another 'psychotic break' during season eight and set fire to one of those ugly scarves Jean Hackney always wore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    A "cliffhanger in flames" would´ve been right for any season finale post-Season 10. No matter how over-used the plot device had been, sure the KL writers would´ve given it the best use. Though fires were used in other seasons though not for the finales: Karen being roasted by her kidnapper in S. 8, for instance, and I seem to remember that the Reunion Miniseries also featured an intentional fire. Anyway, I´d have loved a big fire in the penultimate episode to get rid of all the new characters that never really worked and / or were a pain in the ass (imagine the fire: Vanessa, Claudia, Kate, Pierce, Joseph, Jason and also the corpse of that old b*tch Mary Robeson!! Epic!!)

[​IMG]
    Die b*tches die!!​

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,999
    Daytime soaps typically write in fires when they want to get rid of a particular set, not necessarily characters. I can rattle off a half-dozen or more instances where a show had the local restaurant catch fire and burn to the ground, leading all the characters to suddenly start visiting a "new" restaurant we never saw before that becomes the new hangout.
    House fires tend to be more dramatic and may feature the harm (or death) of a character or two...but again, it's usually about getting rid of an old set more than the characters.

With this in mind, they could have written a large-scale brush fire that destroys Lotus Point when they opted to "close the place down" in season ten. California is prone to such fires, so it would have been a logical choice. The show had obviously lost interest in setting plotlines there, what with Donna Mills leaving and The Sumner Group taking center stage. The place seemed to have been cursed from day one anyway, so why not send it out in style? If they could hint that Abby actually burned the place down just to clear a path to that oil underneath, all the better!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    How about a disaster that hasn't been done in the other soaps? What kind of disaster would be suitable for Knots Landing? A tsunami caused by the Tidal Wave Energy Project? Lotus Point attacked by mutated killer plants?
    Gary was so clumsy, anything could have happened!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    On Brookside, another '80s cul-de-sac based soap only set in the UK, a hole suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the street. There was never any explanation for it and no-one ever fell down it, but I suppose they could have done.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Maybe Diana might be possessed by the devil and return for the Series Finale. She undoubtedly looked and acted as such...

[​IMG]

15. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,139
    I voted for season seven since the point with a TV fire is to have characters you really care about trapped in it!
    Of course they'd surive it though...

Ugh I have forgotten about some of those characters and others I don't like either. *sigh*

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    Or one of the floors in the Sumner Group Building could have collapsed, it happens sometimes.

Or they could have shown how Ben fell off his chair. During the rescue they discover a nazi treasure buried underneath his chair.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    Yes! If they ever do a KNOTS reboot, it should all be about how Ben fell off his chair. The first season is Ben insane in whatever jungle he's been in for the last thirty years with flashbacks to the day he fell off the chair. Then the second season is him coming back to Knots Landing to get revenge on everyone (and their children, of course) who played a part in what happened on the day he fell off the chair. #PayBackToTheCulDeSac .

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,999
    Sorry to say, Sunset Beach (a daytime soap) already did a tsunami, in concert with an earthquake. Since Aaron Spelling was bankrolling the show, it was quite well done by daytime standards. They even flipped a yacht (their homage to The Poseidon Adventure).

The mutated plants, I'll give you...maybe Ben's orchids at the beach house decide to go on a rampage after being exposed to toxic waste a la Empire of the Ants (the epic tale starring Miss Joan Collins in all its mid-1970s glory). It would of course be up to Val to burn that sucker to the ground.

No one in the big four-and-a-half (Hi, Colbys!) ever did a really good salmonella outbreak....but would ML hold JVA's hair while they worshipped at the porcelain temple?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    The one and only soap jungle. Let's see....who's still there? Jock Ewing, Lindsay Blaisdel, Peter De Vilbis (probably), Dream Pam...did I forget someone?
    Of course, the orchids! It has to happen!

Should Ben return as a mystery person, say, Mr. De Culcas?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +122
    This thread is going off on wild tangents... Love it!

I remember that well, and it went on for weeks! Channel 5 used to show it here in the UK. Kathleen Noone was great - I preferred her in that more than as Claudia in Knots.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1