First DYNASTY memories

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Apologies for posting it in a new thread, but my love-for-order self found the other thread spinning in all sorts of directions. Plus I thought this would be a fun topic.

Interesting. I can't imagine what that must have been like, but I am glad you liked it.
    My first DYNASTY memory was when I was 10 in 1981. Season 1 was airing in the state network that did NOT have DALLAS, but it was not really advertised much. They aired it at 11 p.m., and the only reason I could watch was at that time in the summer nobody else was watching TV. In fact, I found out later it was part of a package deal--the Greek state network had bought some other US series and it was thrown in as a bonus. Because it was so cheap, they went ahead and also got the second season and aired it really soon, and then the show took off and the distributors started charging DYNASTY as the main attraction of the packet. They introduced it for cheap like all good drug dealers do. :D

I was fascinated by the Steven-Blake story more than anything, because at that time I had not even realized I was gay, but thanks to DYNASTY and Al Corley it sounded like being gay could mean you were a totally decent guy (sadly I realized it just as Steven swore men off). But at the time I also completely understood where Blake was coming from. I also assumed the story was really the story of Steven and Krystle, two outsiders to the DYNASTY and whether they would find their place in it. Little did I know what would follow.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    I'll be continuing the downward pattern, by saying I was 9 when I watched the pilot of DYNASTY and instantly fell in love with the show. I was growing up in the former Yugoslavia where it was common to air American series (unlike the other communist countries at the time), but we had never seen a nighttime soap before (except for Peyton Place in the late 60s which I was told was also immensely popular). DYNASTY became an instant blockbuster hit. The streets were empty when DYNASTY aired on Monday nights at 9.00pm.

The state broadcaster initially bought only the first season (as they usually did with all shows) just to give the audiences a little taste of the soaps that were all the rage in the west, but people demanded they continue to air the show, so they kept buying more and more. It was a phenomenon, reaching higher ratings than prime-time news. They ended up airing the first 115 episodes (through the Moldavian massacre) non-stop. Later, they also aired some Dallas and Falcon Crest, but they were not very popular.

Everyone I knew was watching DYNASTY and discussing it on Tuesday mornings, including the kids at school. Then every Thursday morning we'd gather around whoever got the latest TV Guide with pictures and spoilers from the next episode. There was obviously no Internet and we had no clue how many episodes had been filmed, i.e. there was no sense of seasons, as we were watching the show non-stop. We thought there were at least 500 episodes.

Every May, however, our TV Guide would publish a special spoiler report about the latest cliffhanger in the US (I don't think I understood it was a cliffhanger, I perceived it simply an update on what was going on in the show in the US), I recall being especially shocked and shaken by 3 reports - the one about Fallon's death, the one about the whole family getting massacred in a fictional European kingdom, and then the one about Blake trying to strangle Alexis.

My family didn't own a VCR, so I couldn't record the show. And they didn't air reruns. I could catch each episode just once. And that's it. There was however a magazine that published the story of DYNASTY in the form of a novel with lots of pictures from the show which I was regularly buying and that was the only way I could preserve the experience of the show and the stories that I had seen. Re-reading it over and over again was the next best thing to watching reruns on tape.

After the 80s ended, I caught the show several times on some German or Czech channels dubbed into the local language. It wasn't until about 20 years later, in the mid 2000s, when the DVDs and the illegal torrents came along, that I finally got to re-watch the show in the original English audio.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,302
    My very early memories of Dynasty would have been of later seasons and I would have been very, very young. I can remember sneaking on the stairs and hearing the opening credits and then being put back to bed. I can also remember being on the floor or maybe in a walker and looking up at the TV and remember seeing those panning shots of the high rise buildings in the opening credits. I can remember Jack Coleman's face. These would have all been when I was very young like 3 or 4 or 5 years old. I was born in 1983!

Of course I remember Joan Collins but I don't remember originally seeing season 9 on TV which is strange as I would have been 7 by then. I always adored Joan Collins and loved her appearing on chat shows in the early '90s. Then in the mid '90s UK Gold re-ran Dynasty and Dallas and I watched as much of both as I could. I really was hooked. Then I was obsessed with Dynasty YouTube videos in the '00s and later started buying the DVDs.

I think Jack Coleman was my first crush before I even knew what a crush was, him and Jason Donovan - Obviously.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It was 2004 and Dynasty was on soapnet. The episode I started with had Alexis being jailed for the murder of Mark. But that’s when I actually started watching the show! Of course I had know for years of the cat fights and Moldavia massacre and krystle perfume. I also knew of it as the most watched show of 1984-1985.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,138
    Before DYNASTY, I recall seeing a TV ad for the Jo Don Baker movie MITCHELL and being stunned at how the Linda Evans being yanked across a room by the hand seemed to be so in-her-own-body and nothing like the preternatural '60s showgirl of BIG VALLEY fame.

Then I saw the TV GUIDE ad for January 1981 pilot for DYNASTY and sneered slightly at the ad's assertion that this post-WhoShotJR? soap knock-off was a show that will "become part of your life". (Joke's on me, huh, Esther??)

For some reason, despite my interest in the changes in Linda Evans (and having seen her in a very good ROCKFORD FILES episode "Claire" -- not the one where she plays a hooker, and a HARRY O episode with David Janssen entitled "Guardian at the Gate" …. she's wonderfully tormented in a pre-Krystle way in both) I somehow managed to miss the first season when it was initially shown, although I had a friend who saw it regularly and hissed: "What is she doing with him..?!?" referring to Blake and his Rapunzel, Krystle.

I can't remember why I kept missing it, but it's so goddess-damned long ago, it could have been anything. (That said, I didn't see the concurrent season of DALLAS, the one which ends with the girl in the pool, consistently either, as so much of it was just so sleepy).

But my curiosity was further piqued when I heard on this brand new magazine show called ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT that British actress Joan Collins had been signed for 22 episode of DYNASTY to play John Forsythe's ex-wife.

I was surprised, and said to myself: how interesting -- they're giving John Forsythe a black ex-wife!

You see, I'd seen Joan Collins is a few movies and TV episodes, but I'd always assumed she was a light-skinned, English black woman. The exotic features, the audacious hauteur, and the '70s outfits solidifying my assumption... Wasn't I startled when, three or four episodes in to her first year, I sat up and gasped: 'My God, that's a white woman!'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Tony

Tony Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    My first memory of Dynasty in the UK was May 1982, when the BBC aired the three hour pilot. I remember the lush score, the mansion, and the serious tone of the show and the press billing Pamela Sue Martin's 'Fallon' as making JR Ewing seem like a choir boy! If only that were true. I do remember Season 1 being a bit dull except for the exciting cliffhanger.

The BBC then aired Season 2 in January 1983 and things obviously took off with British Born Joan Collins joining the cast.

I do think it's hilarious that Snarky thought Collins was a black woman. Given the fact that nobody on the show mentioned Dominique was black, how long did it take you to figure out that Diahann Carroll was African American?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,415
    I lost my soap virginity to Lindsay and Claudia Blaisdel (but the Olesons were my first happy TV family)

We had that too, and I also collected every Dynasty picture I could find.
    upload_2018-7-7_5-40-17.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,138
    Awwww, Linda didn't play a hooker in her second ROCKFORD episodes, but a scammer. I ran across the episode last night after not having seen it for many years....

Funny what a decent actress she was.

9. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +113
    My god, I was 13 years old and such an innocent shy boy, it was in the summer holidays of 1983 and one evening I was alone with my mother...my father and brother were out ...and she asked me at 10.00 pm: come on boy, lets watch DENVER, and I had no Idea what was up to come for me, yet. It was season 1, the episode where Blake murdered Ted, and I was totally hooked and shocked at the end...my mother looked also a little shocked, recognizing, what she just showed me...I wasn`t allowed to watch the show any further because IT AIRED TOO LATE, at 22.05pm. Then came the winter holidays, and suddenly I remembered this exciting show(6 months later!!!) I tuned in at 21.25 because the TV magazine showed this time slut. But DYnasty had already started and I remember a weird woman on a roof-top with a baby in her arms...everyone of you knows, how this episode ended...and I was in a terrible shock. The next day I went to my best friend, who collected Germanys most popular teen-magazine BRAVO. And there were so many articles to find about Dynasty...I read them all, and from now on I missed not a single episode of the show...till the end...every wednesday night I nearly crawled into the TV, my family thought, I was crazy. One day, my brother wanted to watch sports instead of Dynasty, so we had such a big fight, we nearly destroyed the whole living room. My father came in too late, he threw us out...it was the only episode I missed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    I know this so well! My family thought the same way about me and we often had fights because on many occasions there was stupid soccer on the other channel on Wednesdays and everyone of them was (and still is) crazy about soccer, so i nearly always lost that fight.
    But then later we had a VCR (thank god!!!) and i didn't have to fight anymore. :lol:

Wow, John James looks really very sexy there!
    I also watched some of the later seasons on Veronica, because we had NL 2 in our cable in Germany! I think it was on on Saturdays at 4 or 5, usually Veronicas first show to start their program with.
    The only thing i didn't like were those subtitles all the time! :D
    I wish they had done the subtitles with videotext, because that way they wouldn't be hardcoded into the picture.
    But Veronica was mostly very quick with the new seasons, so they had them MUCH earlier than German TV, probably because they didn't used to dub them, so that was an advantage for me. :cool:
    I think i still have some VHS tapes of Season 9 recorded from Veronica in the basement...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,415
    I've watched Falcon Crest season 5 to 9 on a German channel (ARD, or was it ZDF?) and I wish there had been subtitles instead of fake voices:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +113
    In 1988 I was on holidays in Kroatia and there really was a pure Dynastymania, I couldn`t believe my eyes when I saw the magazines about every single episode of Dynasty and COLBYJEVI(The Colbys). Reading it I coundn`t understand a single word, but I didn`t care, of course buying them because of the pictures and the nice cover...

• Like Like x 3
  13. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    Those were the days! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    That's actually the summer Michael Nader came to Croatia on holiday (Dubrovnik I believe) and the Croatian television had him on their very popular late night show (Dynasty cast had an extended break that summer, because season 9 didn't begin filming till September due to the writers' strike). We were all very excited about that. Too bad the central troika didn't visit at the height of the show's popularity in 1985, they would've been welcomed as gods (as were PEYTON PLACE stars when they visited Belgrade in the late 60s).

Yes, THE COLBYS also got the bi-weekly magazine-novel treatment. In fact that was the only way we could follow the story of The COLBYS, the broadcaster never aired the spin-off, I guess they thought one long-running saga was enough. I assume it was based on VHS recordings of the show from the US, they took the pictures from that, plus they had a writer come up with a novel.

But it drove me mad when they occasionally (and obviously) skipped an episode. The most jarring was THE COLBYS magazine where they went from episode 1 to 6, skipping 4 episodes in a row. One second Jeff recognizes Fallon as she enters The Colbys mansion with Miles and in the next scene Miles is carrying her unconscious body in his arms, while Jeff and Adam and running behind them. WTF!

It wasn't until years later that I finally saw those episodes when they re-ran them on Saturday afternoons on German satellite channel SAT1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Regarding the Yugoslav fandom of DYNASTY, let's add that unlike those fake Moldavians, Catherine Oxenberg (a Serbian national--she has dual nationality) was real royalty, the daughter of Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia. In an interview Catherine Oxenberg had said that for some reason her post-suicide scenes were a trigger, because Blake and Alexis fighting even at such a dire time reminded her of her mother's and father's (Howard Oxenberg) real divorce mess.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    How could I forget about that. We got to Amanda episodes in the spring of 1986, but the press went wild with constant articles about Oxenberg and her royal ancestry as soon as she joined the show and especially after her character's wedding ended in that massacre. In fact, the media in Serbia still love to write about her to this day. Her sister Christine even wrote a book about their Karadjordjevic family aptly titled 'A ROYAL DYNASTY'.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1