Emmerdale Forgotten characters...?

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by emm1978, Apr 18, 2017.

1. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Can anyone think of any characters that should be remembered more often in Emmerdale?

Sandie Merrick for instance... She's Robert Sugden's half sister, yet she seems totally forgotten about, like she never existed.

If Coronation Street can bring back long lost Barlows, some of whom weren't even around for long after they were born, then surely Emmerdale can come up with the goods and not neglect a character who was in the show for 9 years? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    It is strange that Sandie has been forgotten, but from Robert's perspective he's hasn't seen her for 30 years nearly and he was only three when she left, there's been no hint that Sandie has ever been in contact with any of her Sugden relatives since the day she left, Jack mentioned her years ago when Alan's son Terrence returned to the village after twenty years.

Jack mentioned to Andy and Diane that he never trusted Terrence when he was dating Sandie, and Jack referred to her as his daughter
    Indicating that he held her in very high regard since she was only his step-daughter.

The thing is Sandie could return now, since Robert could be set to stick for a few more years to come, Sandie could return to the village and walks around, she could bump into one of the Dingles or Diane and comment on how the village looks smaller now than it did pre plane crash, she could be a buyer of Mill Cottage since she lived there for many years in the 80s, she could even visit the graves of Pat, Jackie, Jack and Joe, Eric could recognised her and introduce her to Robert

Sandie could have more children at this stage, she may have even reunited with her first child; Louise in the time she's been away, she would be fifty years old, so could have a marriage or two behind her if she's not already married now.

I think in a time where Corrie have reunited its own first family: The Barlow's and EastEnders have been bringing The Beale's back together again, maybe its time for Emmerdale to do the same to The Sugden's, I'm not calling for a return to the Farm era of 1972-89 but A larger Sugden family for the late 2010s and 2020s.

• Like Like x 1
  3. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sandie was reunited with her daughter Louise in April 1989, after her adoptive mother died. Then they both went to live with Sandie's father Tom in Aberdeen.

12795503_10209184176626069_8544536381332988032_n.jpg

Sandie Merrick (Jane Hutcheson) and daughter Louise (Linzi McGuire) in April 1989.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    I never knew this happened, this is why ITV should do more to look into Emmerdale's past pre 1989, because of details like this.

Emmerdale has an excellent backstory, yet there is mention of it, EastEnders still gives the occasional nod to Lou, Angie, Den and Lofty.

It would be good if Emmerdale did this occasionally.

5. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Diane often visits mother-in-law Annie in Spain. I suppose nods to past events and characters depend on who's in a scene. Obviously we can't expect the likes of Aaron, Jacob, Gabby, etc. to talk about the days of Amos and Henry, although it would be nice if we did hear whatever happened to Amos Brearly, Robert Sugden's Godfather.

6. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I think the programme makers are beginning to listen to their long-time fans more often these days, who remember details from years ago, which is why they had Lawrence White reading a copy of Jack Sugden's book 'Field of Tares' sometime ago, and put in more references to the fact that Emmerdale has always had another pub in the vacinity called The Malt (formerly The Malt Shovel).

• Like Like x 1
  7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    It isn't always necessary to keep mentioning characters, after all how many times were Peggy and the twins mentioned in the 1980s?
    Hardly ever, because the family had moved on from their tragic deaths, Jack hardly ever mentioned Pat in the 1990s, because he was married to Sarah at that point, and I don't recall Bob talking about Dawn or Jamie to Carly in recent times.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Bob mentioned Dawn a few weeks ago after he discovered that Carly had lost a baby to SIDS.

Ross and Jimmy, in separate scenes, referred to it as The Malt Shovel this week. I think Jimmy implied that it was located in Robblesfield.

• Like Like x 1
  9. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49

Bob and Jamie didn't part on the good terms if I remember right, as Jamie was going out with Gennie Walker, and she had a brief fling with his father.

• Like Like x 1
  10. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Emmerdale is nothing like it was in the 1970s and 1980s. If any "forgotten characters" want bringing back, it would be Matt Skilbeck and Dolly Skilbeck or some 1970s characters who are still alive and well taking the show back to its roots.

11. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,555
    See this is the problem successive Emmerdale producers have created, since the 1990s various members of the Sugden's were needlessly killed off, so it limits who can return, Dolly, Matt, Sam and Sandie are the best options.

12. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    What soap is the same now as when it first started? Different characters come and go, it's part and parcel of the show, rather like how a football team works... None of the Leeds United players of the 60s and 70s play for the team now, but the current team is still Leeds United.

13. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
  14. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +879
    I can't really remember most of the characters I've forgotten.