Forgotten Faces of Hollywood's Golden Era

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ClassyCo, Sep 21, 2018.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    The Golden Age of Hollywood is typically gathered in the years ranging from the early 1930s to the early 1960s, albeit roughly. Some people's opinion on the "Golden Age" (or "Golden Era" as in the thread's title) might certainly vary, but I'm not wanting to get in a heehaw debate about that here.

As you can clearly tell from this thread's title, I want to discuss the once-famous actors and actresses that were legends in their day, but aren't on the tip of noses in modern society. And, of course, I know most classical actors and actresses aren't too well-known among average citizens today, but some aren't even recognizable to film buffs.

Who's, what I'm calling here, a Forgotten Face of yesteryear that doesn't garner much attention in our forums and studies today?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Here's one:

Constance Bennett (the older sister of Joan) was, according to one book, second only to Garbo in box office popularity polls in the early 1930s. She was married to the wealthy Henry de La Falaise (former husband of Gloria Swanson), and starred in a string of tearjerkers at the hark of talkies: Common Clay (1930) and What Price Hollywood? (1932). She was the undisputed Queen of RKO Studios before Katharine Hepburn (and later) Ginger Rogers took over that title, and was briefly known as Hollywood's highest-paid performer. Eventually, she found a niche for her husky-voiced persona in a string of feathery, yet sophisticated comedies, such as Topper (1937) and Merrily We Live (1938). Later, she sidelined her movie career for a healthy stint as a real estate agent.

I've always had a soft spot for Constance Bennett, and have ever since I purchased what I believe to be an authentically signed portrait of her from an estate some years ago.

upload_2018-9-21_18-7-58.png

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Another:

Thelma Todd, lauded as a great beauty and fine comedienne, is perhaps best-known today for her mysterious death back in 1935, when she was just 29. She acted primarily in slapstick comedies, making a name for herself, acting opposite famous faces in Monkey Business (1931), Horse Feathers (1932) (with the Marx Brothers), and Speak Easily (1932; with Buster Keaton and Jimmy Durante). Her long-term affair with filmmaker Roland West resulted in her attempted rebranding as "Alison Loyd" for Corsair (1931), which was a box office dud. Producer Hal Roach paired her up with ZaSu Pitts in seventeen comedy shorts between 1931 and 1933, resulting in the emergence of female Laurel and Hardy-type outings. Her death in 1935 still leaves questions of murder, suicide, and accidental as causes to her demise.

I became interested in Todd following my viewing of the 1991 made-for-TV biopic I have on DVD that stars Loni Anderson as Todd.

upload_2018-9-21_18-25-41.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,880
    Ann Blyth

[​IMG]

On loan to Warner Brothers, Blyth was cast as Veda Pierce, the scheming, ungrateful daughter of Joan Crawford in the 1945 film Mildred Pierce. Her dramatic portrayal won her outstanding reviews, and she received a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Blyth was only 16 when she made the Michael Curtiz film.

After Mildred Pierce, Blyth sustained a broken back while tobogganing in Snow Valley, and was not able to fully capitalize on the film's success, although she was still able to make a few movies. She played the part of Regina Hubbard in Another Part of the Forest (a 1948 prequel to The Little Foxes), and achieved success playing a mermaid in Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid. Her other films include: Our Very Own (with Farley Granger), The Great Caruso (with Mario Lanza), One Minute to Zero(with Robert Mitchum), The World in His Arms (with Gregory Peck), Rose Marie, The Student Prince, Kismet, The Buster Keaton Story, and her final film role, The Helen Morgan Story (with Paul Newman).

From the late 1950s into the 1970s, Blyth worked in musical theater and summer stock, starring in the shows The King and I, The Sound of Music, and Show Boat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    Paul Muni never gets the attention her deserved. One of the greatest Hollywood actor ever but rarely talked about these days. He is the only actor ever to be nominated for a Best Actor In A Leading Role Academy Award for his first film (Valiant - 1929) and his last film (The Last Angry Man - 1959). He was nominated for the award 7 times in total, winning once for The Story of Louis Pasteur (1936). He was the only actor ever to be billed above Bette Davis in a film in which she also starred (Juarez - 1939).

In my opinion, his best film and best performance was in I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ginnyfan

ginnyfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I always wondered about Ann Blyth. After such an impressive debut, playing an iconic movie villain, she kind of disappeared. I only saw her in some MGM 50s movies, playing bland romantic interests to musical stars and swashbucklers. Seems like she did not get typecast as a villain, based on Veda, but in this case that might have been the problem. Would have been better if she got more similar, meaty roles.

Sad to hear about the injury that derailed her.

7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    Maybe not a forgotten star but Irene Dunn never gets the recognition these days that she deserves. When there are any programmes on Hollywood's golden age they always feature names such as Bette Davis, Lauren Becall, Barbara Stanwyck and Joan Crawford but Irene Dunne never seems to get a mention. When she died in 1990, I remember she got a small paragraph buried away on an inside page of the newspaper I read that day which in no way reflected her stature as one of the greats of Hollywood.

She made her first film in 1930 (Leathernecking) and her final film in 1952 (It Grows On Trees). Her most famous roles were as Anna Leonowens in Anna and The King of Siam (1946) and starring as "Mama" in the 1948 film I Remember Mama in which Barbara Bel Geddes had a supporting role.

She was nominated for 5 Oscars but never won and is widely considered to be one of the greatest actresses never to have won the award.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)