Forgotten soaps of the 90's

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Carrie Fairchild, Mar 15, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Medals:
    #LegacyUpdate

Sadly, the "revamp" only applies for the four last episodes, which shows. They clearly tried to shove a plot that was at least double of that into four episodes. It would've been interesting to see a season 2 just to see how they would've developed it from Little House On The Prairie to a full-blown Dallas in the 1800.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +135
    Titans, Models Inc. and Pacific Palisades should have gone on longer. North Shore in 2004-2005 as well.

Titans was NBC but felt like it belonged on FOX.

Pacific Palisades had closure after 13 episodes. Aaron Spelling didn't want to just do a few episodes, but they didn't get a 2nd season. It was a mid season show which premiered I think in April of 1997 and then stopped in May and then started up again in July-August. Had they gotten more episodes or whatever, I think season 1 would have lasted beyond August. It probably would have gone and ended season 1 in winter or early spring of 1998 had it gotten a full season of, back then, circa 30 episodes or more. I could have seen it going off around the same time MP did their stupid season 6 finale in March of that year. Pacific Palisades, even though it didn't get a 2nd season, needed more episodes. It was a good show.

Models Inc., without a doubt, should have been back for a 2nd season for 1995-1996. Even if that's all they got. I bet the show thought they were coming back. I thought they were as well. It really needed a season 2.

North Shore was just too fast paced to come back for more. It was trying to be like Melrose Place but it was too fast. Plus there wasn't enough suspense on there. It aired in June 2004 to early 2005.

Titans, it could have been so much better and ran so much longer. I mean, had it been a success, I would have been recording it all throughout college for sure. I recorded all 11 episodes. The show kept changing around. It also revealed their final scenes in the promos for the following week's episode which was very bad. I remember them showing Heather falling down the stairs and Jenny falling into the pool. Both were big events and they were spoiled in the promos.

3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,321
    Medals:
    It debuted to incredibly weak ratings after Beverly Hills 90210 (90210 got a 8.1/14 rating, while Pacific Palisades fell to 7.0/11 in its premiere episode - and it got worse from there), which is why it got pulled after five episodes when Joan's appearance didn't boost ratings and eventually got a burn-off treatment in the summer.

They were pretty heavily on the bubble - it essentially performed on par with Party of Five that season and improved the ratings a bit when it was paired with Melrose Place, but obviously one got critically acclaimed and one was basically trashed from the start. They knew they were in trouble though, hence why they filmed a quick wrap-up to be used in overseas and reruns. I remember a Chuck Pratt interview where he said they were pretty much 50/50 if they were going to be back.

It was basically their attempt to find a Melrose Place to The OC. The show was never very good, though it's curious they decided not to air the final episode which had a cliffhanger.

Prime time soap promos have always been notoriously bad at keeping big events a secret, so it's not unique to Titans. But it was a confused mess, Casper Van Dien was wood board while Yasmine Bleeth was high on coke during the entire filming. Had it continued I think both of them would've had diminished roles if not written out entirely.

4. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,825
    Medals:
    I've a TV encyclopedia that describes it as "a variation on The Love Boat and Hotel idea". According to the same book, as there were only three regular cast members on the show, the bulk of the action focused on the rotating roster of guest characters each week.

6. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,356
    Medals:
    Funny, I just had a primal childhood flashback from half a century ago (which is doubly amazing as I'm almost 30) regarding a scene I've had in my head from what had to be a '60s western in which the protagonist family is inside their cabin (during maybe an approaching storm) and one of them sees someone or something diving in the brush several yards in the distance.

At the time, it seemed really creepy, and I had the feeling I saw the same scene maybe 6 months later (summer reruns?, like one of those times you see a show only twice and it's the exact same episode) but I had no idea what the show was, and yet it stuck with me all my life. But I could never figure out which show it was, and assumed I never would because it was likely too obscure.

Today, my YouTube algorithm collided with my small screen karma, because up popped a listing for a video of a scene from the series THE MONROES --- but not the William Devane/Susan Sullivan program (which I well-remembered, although didn't watch it much) but an ancient, short-lived show from the 1966/67 season ... I just sat there. And despite never recalling seeing or even hearing about this brief program, I suddenly just knew this was the series with that scene I'd never forgotten with a family inside their cabin and one of them sees someone or something diving in the brush several yards in the distance.

No, that specific scene wasn't on YouTube, but it led me to check the old IMDb and indeed the scene I'd recalled was from THE MONROES' episode "Manhunt" which aired May of 1967.

All the mysteries are now resolved. Go back to your modest duties.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry -- this ultimately has nothing to do with '90s primetime soaps. But that's what got me here. Sort of.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,672
    Indeed!

• Like Like x 1