Forgotten soaps of the 90's

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Carrie Fairchild, Mar 15, 2018.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    #LegacyUpdate

Sadly, the "revamp" only applies for the four last episodes, which shows. They clearly tried to shove a plot that was at least double of that into four episodes. It would've been interesting to see a season 2 just to see how they would've developed it from Little House On The Prairie to a full-blown Dallas in the 1800.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Titans, Models Inc. and Pacific Palisades should have gone on longer. North Shore in 2004-2005 as well.

Titans was NBC but felt like it belonged on FOX.

Pacific Palisades had closure after 13 episodes. Aaron Spelling didn't want to just do a few episodes, but they didn't get a 2nd season. It was a mid season show which premiered I think in April of 1997 and then stopped in May and then started up again in July-August. Had they gotten more episodes or whatever, I think season 1 would have lasted beyond August. It probably would have gone and ended season 1 in winter or early spring of 1998 had it gotten a full season of, back then, circa 30 episodes or more. I could have seen it going off around the same time MP did their stupid season 6 finale in March of that year. Pacific Palisades, even though it didn't get a 2nd season, needed more episodes. It was a good show.

Models Inc., without a doubt, should have been back for a 2nd season for 1995-1996. Even if that's all they got. I bet the show thought they were coming back. I thought they were as well. It really needed a season 2.

North Shore was just too fast paced to come back for more. It was trying to be like Melrose Place but it was too fast. Plus there wasn't enough suspense on there. It aired in June 2004 to early 2005.

Titans, it could have been so much better and ran so much longer. I mean, had it been a success, I would have been recording it all throughout college for sure. I recorded all 11 episodes. The show kept changing around. It also revealed their final scenes in the promos for the following week's episode which was very bad. I remember them showing Heather falling down the stairs and Jenny falling into the pool. Both were big events and they were spoiled in the promos.

3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    It debuted to incredibly weak ratings after Beverly Hills 90210 (90210 got a 8.1/14 rating, while Pacific Palisades fell to 7.0/11 in its premiere episode - and it got worse from there), which is why it got pulled after five episodes when Joan's appearance didn't boost ratings and eventually got a burn-off treatment in the summer.

They were pretty heavily on the bubble - it essentially performed on par with Party of Five that season and improved the ratings a bit when it was paired with Melrose Place, but obviously one got critically acclaimed and one was basically trashed from the start. They knew they were in trouble though, hence why they filmed a quick wrap-up to be used in overseas and reruns. I remember a Chuck Pratt interview where he said they were pretty much 50/50 if they were going to be back.

It was basically their attempt to find a Melrose Place to The OC. The show was never very good, though it's curious they decided not to air the final episode which had a cliffhanger.

Prime time soap promos have always been notoriously bad at keeping big events a secret, so it's not unique to Titans. But it was a confused mess, Casper Van Dien was wood board while Yasmine Bleeth was high on coke during the entire filming. Had it continued I think both of them would've had diminished roles if not written out entirely.

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,955
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,036
    I've a TV encyclopedia that describes it as "a variation on The Love Boat and Hotel idea". According to the same book, as there were only three regular cast members on the show, the bulk of the action focused on the rotating roster of guest characters each week.