Forrest Gump

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jan 14, 2020.

?

Do you like the film "Forrest Gump"

1. Yes, I like it

33.3%
  2. No, I don't like it

33.3%
  3. I'm undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I never saw it

33.3%
  1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,767
    Medals:
    Do you like it -- why and why not...?

[​IMG]

2. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +775
    Oh, I like it. I really like it.

Aside from being a extremely quotable film, Forrest Gump registers with a wide audience primarily because of its titular protagonist. Brilliantly portrayed by Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump, the character, proves to a variety of people that the underdog, showcased here as a mentally challenged man with a low IQ, can succeed beyond measure. Audiences can identify with Forrest, whether or not they have a lot in common with him. America likes the underdog succeeding story. It's been successful many times over.

Like I said, this is a very quotable movie. Outside of the "Run, Forrest, runs" and the "I'm not a smart mans", the dialogue here is cluttered with lines you'll probably walk away with tucked in the back of your head. Hanks' delivery, naturally, fuels the depth to these lines, and usually the more quotable bits come from the film's more serious moments. Some, as we know, have become comical in popular culture, but in hindsight, their purpose in the movie was pivotal and scene-driving.

I've watched Forrest Gump many times. However, I've rarely watched the movie in its entirety from start-to-finish in one setting. Usually, I'll catch it on TV, and I'll watch it from wherever it's at until the end, or until something else comes up and takes my attention elsewhere. My brother is a BIG fan of the movie, and he usually watches it every single time he finds it on. Why he hasn't bought it yet, I couldn't tell you. He was beyond giddy when it was briefly on Netflix, and he watched it twice I know before it was axed.

I think sometimes the depth and personality of Forrest Gump is left out, even among its more avid fan base. Many, I feel, have rendered the movie a straight comedy, partly because of their memory of Forrest's quips, but some simply because of word of mouth leading some to said conclusion. In translation, sometimes, I think the heart of the film gets sidelined. There's a genuine, down-to-earth guy here that just wants his girl Jenny on his arm. Nothing more. Everything else that happens he seems rather oblivious to, even though his details are usually on-point.

It's a good movie. And it's probably better than many give credit for.

[​IMG]

3. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I think it's a very "by the numbers," manipulative movie. It hits all the right buttons. I can see the writers and directors piecing it together, saying, "Ok, the third scene should be the comic one, the fourth will be set up how nice and innocent the temporary friend is sonwgen we kill him off in the 9th scene it will the right impact." When they're done they begin writing the actusl script and discuss casting.
    I know more than a few movies are done somewhat similarly, but they don't have to seem so obvious.
    I'm not saying it's an absolutely dreadful movie, but there's an underlying falsity to it.
    Woody Allen's Zelig had a similar premise, which I thought was done better.

• Winner Winner x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)