Four Game of Thrones spinoffs are in the works.

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones on HBO' started by Ome, May 4, 2017.

1. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381
    Game of Thrones fans have been hoping against hope that they'd get a spin off or prequel once the main series wraps up in 2018. You're actually getting way more than just one!

Ahead of the penultimate season of the Emmy-winning fantasy series premiering this summer, HBO has started development on four spinoffs to hit the air in the years ahead. Yes, you read that correctly — four!

According to Variety, the Song of Ice and Fire book series' author George RR Martin is working right now with four sets of writers to develop shows each set in different Westeros time periods.

Those writers working with Martin include Kong: Skull Island's Max Borenstein, Kingsman: The Secret Service's Jane Goldman, L.A. Confidential's Academy Award winner Brian Helgeland and Westworld's Carly Wray. Pretty impressive, right?

At this current stage, Game of Thrones co-showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss are apparently not attached to write for any of those spinoffs but will be involved as producers along with Martin.

There is, of course, no guarantee that all four of these shows will eventually make the air once Game of Thrones officially calls it a day.

But since HBO depends on Game of Thrones more than any other show to drive up subscriptions, it seems at least plausible that most, if not all, of these spinoffs will eventually reach our screens in one form or another.

Responding to the breaking news on Thursday, a spokesperson for HBO said: "We'll take as much or as little time as the writers need and, as with all our development, we will evaluate what we have when the scripts are in."

It was HBO programming president Casey Bloys who first broke the news about a possible spinoff series while promoting his channel's spring line-up at the TCA Press Tour in January.

"All I can say is that we're exploring it. We don't have any scripts, we're not even close to saying 'Oh, let's do this'," Bloys explained at the time. "But it's a big enough property that we would be foolish not to explore it. It's a really rich world. We'd be foolish not to look at it."

However, Bloys also clarified soon after that HBO was more interested in a prequel than simply spinning off Jon Snow, Dany or Tyrion into their own show.

"A prequel feels like it has less pressure on it [than a spin-off]," he explained to Entertainment Weekly. "George RR Martin's history of Westeros] gives you areas in which to say to a writer, 'If you were going to do this, then go flesh it out,' and we'll see what comes back. But I don't feel any pressure that we have to have something."

Game of Thrones season 7 premieres on Sunday night, July 16 at 9pm ET on HBO in the US, and simultaneously at 2am on Monday, July 17 on Sky Atlantic in the UK. Watch a trailer below:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
    I love it! Already 4 ideas and the series still has a year left. I need for life in Westeros to continue!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381

I'd like to see something that surrounds Ned Stark.

4. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    I want "Lady Stoneheart - Revenge without remorse", starring Michelle Fairley! :dance::D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
    I would like to see the Targaryens ruling Westeros. Before the Mad King became a mad king. Like 40 years before GoT started.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381
    Yes, that as well.

Hell there's so much they can still do when the show ends.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
    I could also get into a show that is about what happened beyond the Wall before GoT got started.
    When it was just White Walkers vs Children of the Forest vs Wildlings.

Maybe they could also do a show that sets 100 years in the future, after GoT ends.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,878
    Yes let's milk the franchise as much as possible!:rolleyes:

Can anyone imagine how many Dallas spin-offs that would have happened if Hollywood had been of the same mindset in the 1980's as it is today? :lol:

I mean just think of it, Dallas was the number one show in the world in the 1980s and although Game of Thrones is popular it can never compare since the TV landscape has changed too much in 30 years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381
    Not really, GAME OF THRONES is completely different to DALLAS.

DALLAS aired over 350 episodes and it only really centred around a couple of families, whereas GAME OF THRONES is much deeper, spread over lands and seas and still only aired 60 episodes.

If GAME OF THRONES did release more spin-offs it probably wouldn't be as many episodes in total compared to DALLAS

Very true, yet here you are thinking about it :lol:

10. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
    I can easily picture many GoT spin-offs because it's set all over 2 continents and the cast is huge. Many characters have never met, or will ever meet. There are many different families/houses. The Starks, The Targaryens, The Lannisters, The Greyjoys, The Martells, The Tyrells, The Mormonts, The Tullys, The Tarlys, The Cleganes, The Freys etc etc. Plus the slaves & tribes of Essos, Wildlings, Children of the Forest & White Walkers. And they still haven't done many different relationships or marriages. Very few, in fact.

GoT also has a very rich history. Thousands of years back in time.

Fantasy series also has the advantage of not havung to keep things worldly realistic.

There are like a hundred ways they can take.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381

Yes! That too :D

12. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
    News from George RR Martin:

• 5, not 4, spin-offs are being written
    • They will all be prequels, not sequels (as GRRM is far from done with the novel series)
    • None of them will be about "Dunk" & "Egg" (Aegon V Targaryen --- brother of Maester Aemon, grandfather of "The Mad King" Aerys II Targaryen and therefore also great grandfather to Daenerys). Dunk was Ser Duncan the Tall, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. (Before becoming King, Egg was squire to Dunk.)
    • None of them will be about King Robert's rebellion, because when GRRM has released his final novel in the "A song of ice and fire", all details about the rebellion will be known. There won't be more questionmarks about that story.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381
    :clap::clap::clap:

14. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    BUT:

http://winteriscoming.net/2017/05/14/george-r-r-martin-reveals-new-details-game-thrones-spinoffs/

15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381
    Don't ruin it for me, let me believe it's all going to happen....

16. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,421
  18. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    I hope for one at a time. Then we can enjoy it longer. :D

19. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,381
    Oh hell no, I can't wait years and years - what if I die before they finish??

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Get in. Bringing lots of work to the movie industry in Northern Ireland :)

• Like Like x 1