Frasier star John Mahoney dies

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Sarah, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    I am gutted. He was amazing. Loved him in Frasier :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42953979

The British-born actor John Mahoney, who played Martin Crane in the US sitcom Frasier, has died aged 77.

He died on Sunday while in hospice care in Chicago.

Mahoney enjoyed a distinguished career in theatre, winning a Tony award, and had a long list of film and TV credits.

But he will be best remembered for playing the unpretentious, blunt father of Frasier and Niles Crane in the hit comedy, which ran for 11 seasons from 1993-2004.

Mahoney won a SAG award in 2000 for the role, and was also nominated for two Emmys and two Golden Globes.

Much of the comic spark in Frasier came from the relationship between the down-to-earth retired police officer Martin Crane and his pompous sons Frasier and Niles, played by Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce.

Evacuee childhood
    Mahoney was born in Blackpool, where his pregnant mother had been evacuated to escape Nazi bombing raids.

He moved to the US as a young man, serving in the US army for three years, which he credits with eradicating his native British accent.

It was only in his 40s that he became a professional actor, after actors John Malkovich and Gary Sinise invited him to join the new Steppenwolf Theatre Company.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    Rest in piece! I love Frasier.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,278
    Sorry to hear about his passing too. I always enjoyed his work on Frasier. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I was very sad to learn about this on Twitter. He was amazing and his timing was impeccable. Frasier was a huge and important part of my childhood (along with Murphy Brown, Friends, Roseanne, Power Rangers, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and many more). I've also seen him in so many great and now classic movies, he was incredibly versatile and highly respected on stage. Started his acting career at the age of 37. Impressive. Another great example of the phrase "follow your heart, follow your dreams no matter what, it's your life". And his was a life well lived. Rest in peace, John Mahoney.

5. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,675
    I was a Cheers fan more than Frasier, however reading all the Obituaries re John Mahoney - they all say one thing

What a lovely man - and you cant ask for better than that

RIP

6. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,285
    Really sad news he was awesome in “Fraser”

Condolences to his Family and Friends.