Gap between 13th and final season

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Grangehill1, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi all

In the U.K. was there a longer gap between of transmission between penultimate and final scene?

I remember season 13 ending around the time of the 1990 World Cup so June time? And then the final season started around May 1991? Is that right?

At this point we always got the new series in the new year so what was the delay?

2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,262
    By the time the final season was broadcast the Dallas audience figures in the UK had gone down the toilet and I remember wondering if the BBC was going to screen it at all. I suspect the delay was because there was no great demand to show it and the BBC were just contemplating where they could dump it in their schedules. In the end, when it was broadcast in was give a timeslot so rubbish (Sunday afternoons) that even fewer people tuned in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +765
    Yeah.

Normally Dallas was shown Wednesday's at 8pm, but when it came back for it's final season they showed it Sunday's at 3 pm I think.

The hey day of the big American super soaps was well & truly over. :(

4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,558
    And just think a decade earlier, Dallas Fever was all over the media, and by 1991 it became a Sunday afternoon event, airing when most people would be sitting down to a roast dinner

5. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +765
    Yeah it was very sad but the show itself was a shadow of it's former self. A lot of the core cast members had departed the show & they'd brought in a lot of younger actors to replace them which I think in hindsight was a bad idea.

The worst decision was turning JR into a buffoon who rarely had any power any more. He was great when he was being evil, but they diluted his character down by mellowing him.

Mind you no show will last forever, although in saying that Coronation Street has managed to move with the times even though it's cast has changed over the years. Maybe if Katzman & the Producers of Lorimar had tried to keep their stars from leaving the show might've ran for about fifteen or sixteen years instead. Who knows! It's all academic now. Let's just enjoy the show as we know it, because it was a helluva ride watching it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,653
    I think the key is in planning ahead with possible replacement characters rather than suddenly introducing them after the stars have left. Except for Lucy they never had a younger generation who could have grown into adulthood as the original characters aged and departed (one way or another).

• Agree Agree x 1