Gary Collins throws Susan Sullivan under the bus!!!!!

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by TJames03, Jan 2, 2017.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507

Damn!

Edit: Oops, I meant to put COLLINS!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    I'm getting mixed vibes from this interview...could you explain the thread title?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,810
    Nice interview.
    But what does she say at 2:38?
    "Actually .. we happened to get along very well" or "we haven't get along very well"?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,052
    I'm pretty sure she says "Actually .. we happened to get along very well"

It wouldn't surprise me if Robert Foxworth was difficult to work with actually.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,995
    Medals:
    There is a noticeable 'jump' (edit) right after that line, so I hope she said "Do you mind not putting me on the spot like that?".

I would not say he 'threw her under a bus" as much as he made her visibly uncomfortable. Fluff like Hour Magazine isn't a place for Mike Wallace-esque interrogation.

• Like Like x 6
  6. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,915
    What bus? I didn't see a bus.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    So, was it her idea that Richard should fall in love with Maggie, which happened right from the start, I think.
    Richard wouldn't hesitate to destroy Chase, and even slander Cole in his newspaper, and yet he would never do anything to hurt Maggie personally.
    It was a beautiful and complex conflict and I loved the tense scenes between them because at first Maggie didn't know what we knew.
    To me it never felt like the "good woman who redeemed the evil man" - that was Blake & Krystle's story.
    Their relationship struck me as inevitable, rather than a planned plotline. It wasn't meant to be and at the same time it seemed unavoidable.

Anyway, what I meant to say was: could it be that Robert Foxworth didn't like this idea, especially if it came from his co-star? Because their separation also affected his FC character.
    Chase could be painfully stubborn but as a married couple they were still the Good Unit against the wicked ways of FC and Richard Channing.
    I'm not saying that the actors disliked eachother, but maybe there had been a discussion - and wouldn't it be kinda funny if Richard Channing had caused trouble for both the characters and the actors?

• Like Like x 6
  8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,995
    Medals:
    I'm just delighted she mentioned her days as Lenore Curtin on Another World. Though her character appeared long before I started watching, I hear that Lenore was written as a more sophisticated, multi-faceted woman rather than the usual "damsel in distress" that blond women on soaps usually ended up playing. A lot of nighttime stars who started on daytime soaps refused to even talk about their more humble beginnings, but AW was a powerhouse show back when she was co-starring on it.

Watching it again, I just think Gary Collins is a lousy host/interviewer. She covered her displeasure pretty well, but she would have had every right to feel as if she'd been ambushed by that line of questioning. Host duty #1 is to never put your guest on the defensive.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Why would she feel ambushed if the rumours were based on absolutely nothing and there was nothing to tell?

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    I didn't see a bus either, but she was obviously uncomfortable about the Foxworth topic. And, yes, there was a cut in the tape -- and I'm sure that's how it aired.

I'd heard there had been tension there between the two, but they've spoken well of each other since, and it hasn't seemed insincere.

Foxworth comes off as more likeable than Chase in interviews, but even producer Bob McCullough (who was sitting on Foxworth's lap in the Season 3 cast/crew photo) said Foxworth demanded a trailer a few inches longer than Jane Wyman's ridiculously.

One suspects Foxworth did that to make a sardonic power point with the trailer demand, but it's still pushing things pretty far.

And who couldn't get along with Susan Sullivan (whom McCullough called "a saint")? But I guess there must have been some ruffled feathers there, presumably Foxworth's, at some point.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    Hard to say, but I recall Sullivan saying during the third or so season that she'd believed Maggie's and Chase's marriage "was stronger" than the silly slew of roadblocks and fights that the writers threw their way, meaning she wasn't pleased with the contrived conflicts.

But by Season 6, she may have given up on that. I remember Foxworth also said in 1986 he thought Season 6 was going to be the best year yet for FC, but he must have changed his mind.

Too bad that once Bob McCullough was canned the FC writers were no longer listening to nature (as Susan seems to describe going on with her daytime soap).

• Like Like x 5
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    I have to admit that I didn't notice it the first time until it was pointed out be other posters. Although, like Matthew Blaisdel, I was confused about the "happened to get along" vs. the "haven't get along".
    Co-workers disagree all the time, it don't think it necessarily needs to be labelled as "diva behaviour" when it applies to actors or other people working in the showbiz.
    And when the job is done, it's just a matter of being mature and professional about it, and let bygones be bygones. Assuming there had been tension between the two, as most of it is second hand information.
    So I was merely asking myself some questions, and considered the possibilities for the (alleged) animosity.
    Again, maybe I misunderstood her comments, but it seemed to me that she was referring to the early seasons.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but at that time their estranged marriage was already beyond repair, I think. And it was clear from the very beginning that Richard had feelings for Maggie and like I said before it seems to develop naturally, rather than a (sudden) genius plot twist to make them an official couple.
    Therefore I'm not really buying Sullivan's romantic idea of redeeming Richard's villainy, if that was THE reason to make them a couple.

• Like Like x 5
  13. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507
    I found GC to be gunning for SS right away here!

Odd that SS speaks so lovingly about "AW," yet refused to reprise Lenore Curtain for just a cameo when the show had its 35-year anniversary in '89 (Maggie had already died on "FC," so there wouldn't have been a conflict of interest).

• Like Like x 5
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,995
    Medals:
    By 1989, there were only one or two AW characters who would even know Lenore, since there had been so many cast turnovers after her departure. Bringing her in would have been a shoe-horning exercise, much as it was when they had the actress who played Pat Randolph make her cameo. Though I still would have been delighted.

Anyway, it's common practice for chat shows like this one to do pre-interviews, where a production assistant will meet with the guest prior to taping to agree on the topics being covered and to take notes from the guest regarding what they want to focus on (typically to discuss their new film or NOT discuss their divorce, etc.). I can't imagine this whole "do you and RF hate one another?" line of questioning was agreed upon as a topic. The stuff with SS saying she suggested pairing Richard and Maggie likely came from her own observations of how soaps tend to work, but Collins perhaps assumed it was Sullivan trying to manipulate herself out of a bad situation with Foxworth, then used tabloid fodder (which, in that period, changed weekly) to shore up his assumption. I wonder if Sullivan ever went on that show again? :mad:

• Like Like x 4
  15. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507
    As far as I’m aware it was about the time of Maggie’s brain tumour in season 3 when you could see Richard developing more than a brother-in-law affection. If it ultimately was Susan’s idea is another matter. Of course Maggie and Richard's attraction was sealed very much so, when season four ended. Terri being the notable stop gap, in the subsequent season. Although Terri had other ideas.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,663
    Medals:
    I don't disagree with any of that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,052
    Hmmmm...I'm not sure I believe that. I'm sure that's something the producers had in mind early on and it seemed kind of inevititable/unavoidableas you say. So Susan migjy have come along and say "hey wouldn't be cool if..."And they were like, "yeah we know, we're having your tongues explode at the end of the season"

Well this where I take issue with Maggie. She seemed to forgive a hell of a lot of stuff Richard did to her family, and even to her. I'm sure he published stuff about her she didn't want published etc. Anyway, despite all the horrible things Richard did Maggie just came back for more. Maybe she was just that kind of person. She even moved in with Angela of all people in season 8.
    Yeah it was always gonna happen, but was given plenty of time to simmer. Unfortunately it was coming up to being fully coked when the show it self went off the boil.

Maybe, he did leave the show the season that was coming to fruition.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Ha! So much for "redeeming the villain". Perhaps we could say that Maggie was corrupted by Richard.
    Yes well I think at some point most the drama was taken out of it, and we were left with characters trying to deal with all sorts of spectacular events.
    I really missed those Gioberti-kitchen-scenes. It's always a bad omen when they stop using the kitchen, except for The Colbys because they never entered that part of the house - it would be beneath them.

• Like Like x 6
  19. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507
    GC Def passed SO off. Also, he made it clear that she always, basically, brushed off his earlier interviews with her when he asked her about RF....so why does he keep asking her?

Oh well, Maggie and GC are dead now.

Moving on....

• Like Like x 2
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,337
    Medals:
    Then, was she annoyed (was she?) because he asked her about RF or because he asked her about RF again? Perhaps they had agreed beforehand not to talk about RF and he did it anyway?:D
    And why does she keep coming back? The plot thickens.

• Like Like x 3