1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Gary & Valene Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Hi Everyone,

I figured it was about time that the last Ewing brother also get a shipper thread where the fans can discuss all things Gary & Valene and also share videos and photos. :)

Anyone who posts in the Dallas section of the board must be familiar with the JR & Sue Ellen, Bobby & Pam and Donna & Ray couple threads so the idea is to create a similar type of thread for Gary & Val who were in my opinion just as iconic as these other couples.

Ironically they were also the only couple out of the four that actually ended up together in the end. :)

DAL_001133.jpg

Anyway to get the discussion going I am wondering what is it about Gary & Val that you love?

Take care,
    Love:
    Karin.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    It's difficult to describe. There's just something a little mystical about them, from the moment of their first meeting which we see in flashback. Even the fact that it's two other actors in the scene doesn't detract from the magic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Found this nice little tribute to them on youtube.

It contains one of my favorite scenes between them - at Val's wedding to Ben, when a tearful Gary says he is sorry things didn't work out between them and hopes Ben will make her happy... It gets me every time.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Oh I love that scene too. Their emotions are written all over their faces and it's all so sad. Despite how much they still love each other they simply can not be together and I think that's a part of what I love about this couple. It's so obvious that they belong together even when they are apart.:love3:
    Also they always have each other's backs. Even if they are divorced and we think they have moved on when shit happens there is always one other person in the world that they can always rely on and that never fails. A couple of examples would be when Gary is arrested for Ciji's murder and wants to be punished. It takes Val to make him realize that he didn't do it. Another example is when their babies have been kidnapped and Val loses her idenity and becomes Verna and runs off to Shula, Tenneessee. It takes Gary to bring her out of her shell and make her remember who she is. I love that scene when they are dancing in their wedding clothes. I used to think it was a fantasy scene that was meant to show Val that it was really Gary she loved and not Parker, but I have recently realized it's meant to be a flashback scene of what actually was.

@Seaviewer I know exactly which scene you are referring to too and I agree that the fact that it's two other actors who portray a younger Gary and Val in that flashback scene doesn't take away the magic. I love that moment too when she remembers Gary for a split second before she goes back into her shell as Verna. It just shows how strong their connection really was.

So what's your favorite Gary & Val scenes?

One of the scenes already mentioned or something else. Let's keep the discussion going!

Finally let's end today's post with a couple of screen caps from the scene @Julia's Gun mentioned:

uvs180224-001.JPG

uvs180224-002.JPG

uvs180224-003.JPG

uvs180224-004.JPG

uvs180224-005.JPG

uvs180224-006.JPG

uvs180224-007.JPG

Yes this scene gets to me too. So that's some great acting by Ted and Joan. I think their chemistry is great. :clap:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Julia's Gun

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Another classic Gary & Val moment is from the end of the episode 'Encounters' from Season 4, when Lilimae forces them together in a parking lot to get them to speak to each other again. Val is actually the stronger and really brave one here, and her rejection of him marks a turning point in her character from the sweat-pea downtrodden Valene of the early seasons, to the successful novelist and career woman she became later that year.

On one level this was Val stamping her authority at last and refusing to lay down and take back her man after yet another of his infidelities. But we know that despite the anger Val was still in love with him and really wanted Gary to just beg a bit more, promise to drop Abby and she would take him back once more.

The heartrending bit comes at the end of the scene, in a last moment of weakness when Val turns round again. Calling out meekly to Gary she turns round to find he has already driven off and left... It's a bit like when Gary marries Abby later in Season 5, and Val finds out from a phone call to Olivia that they have just eloped, after he stood her up at the coffee shop. Just when we thought they might get back together, they were driven apart yet again. Those writers knew what they were doing to us!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Mrs Bobby James Ewing Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Karin, I love your new thread dedicated to Gary and Val.:) They are my favorite couple on Knots Landing next to Karen and Mack. :)The writers kept them apart way too long.:( They should have been put back together much earlier than they were so they could have raised Bobby and Betsy together from birth since they didn't get raise their daughter Lucy. :) :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Thank you Sanda. I am glad you're loving this thread already. :)
    Val & Gary is my favorite couple on Knots Landing too. I like a lot of the couples but they are my most favorites, probably in part because of the Dallas connection. So naturally I've also made the most fan videos about them. I haven't made any new ones in years but I just added an old one to youtube the other day that some of you might have watched many years ago. If not enjoy:

That's another really great scene @Julia's Gun . I agree with pretty much everything that you said about the scene and how it marked a turning point for Val. It was so sad at the end when she caves in and turns around calling out his name and he's already gone. :(

You know "Encounters" was actually the first episode of Knots Landing that I ever watched. It was in the 1990s and I had just finished watching all of Dallas when my dad mentioned that there was another show where we got to follow Gary & Val so naturally I wanted to watch it. So he looked among his old videotapes to see if he had any recorded and he found that episode. So my sister and I watched it and at first the idea of that Gary & Val had split up or could have had more children after Lucy seemed odd to me. Then Knots Landing came on in reruns about a year later and we watched it from the beginning and it all made sense. ;)

Which was the first Knots Landing episode you watched?
    Also which is the earliest Val & Gary scene you can remember?

For me it was that scene in the garage. So I'll post a few caps of that one as well:

uvs181111-004.jpg

uvs181111-001.jpg

Basically watching that episode made me want to watch the rest of the series. :)

Then here's a few caps from that scene at the coffee shop that you mentioned as well:

uvs181111-008.jpg

uvs181111-010.jpg

uvs181111-009.jpg

uvs181111-011.jpg

Yeah the writer's sure knew what they were doing! :hat:

Also I think it was Laura who had told Gary to stay out of Val's life if he wasn't serious about starting over again since it would hurt Val less that way. I remember I was a bit annoyed with Laura for her meddling when I first watched this episode. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 9:58 PM
  8. Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Mrs Bobby James Ewing Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Karin, I rewatched several of your Gary and Val music videos on YouTube over the weekend and I fell in love with them all over again. :) Your music videos are wonderful and I look forward to watching new music videos from you in the future. :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Julia's Gun

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Well, interestingly like you I first started watching regularly during Season 4, when it was repeated here in the UK on BBC1 in the late 80s, during the school holidays. I think it was the episode where Karen caught Sid's killers, 'Catharsis' I think. Very soon I got addicted, but Gary & Val were already apart then, so they had few scenes together that year.

I do remember the fireworks after Ciji was murdered, and Val marches down to the police station to confess to her murder. There is a scene where they both meet in Ciji's apartment and Gary goes berserk at her. Val thought Gary moved the body to protect her, and she had accidentally killed her by pushing her over. It would have been ridiculous on another soap, but on Knots it was all so gripping, and made me see all this history that they had between them, prior to their break up. I hadn't seen the earlier seasons and so it made it all the more compelling to keep watching, to see if they would rekindle that spark, as they still cared so deeply about each other.

After that, I remember well that lovely beach scene at the end of Season 7, when Val trashes Ben's apartment, and Gary finds her on the beach. It was another of those rare moments when it looked like events were conspiring to get them back together again - Gary divorcing Abby, Ben running off with Cathy, and the two of them comforting each other and laughing together on the beach. 'We deserve each other' Val said, and they did. Sadly though, the writers kept them apart yet again, and it was another 4-5 years before they finally got reconciled.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  10. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    That's an interesting interpretation. I never thought of that.
    I watched both series from the beginning so my earliest memories of Gary & Val are as Lucy's parents and her desire to see them reunited which became a fifteen-year saga.
    That's the scene I was going to nominate. The police have arranged for them to be there at the same time but they don't know it. That moment when they see each other is just electric.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    Thank you Sanda. I am glad that you still love my music videos. :)

Good point about how it was Lucy who brought Val and Gary back together on Dallas. Just too bad she didn't visit them more than once after they'd settled down in Knots Landing...

@Julia's Gun and @Seaviewer I agree with you both about that scene at the apartment after Ciji's murder. That was in deed a great Val & Gary scene that was very emotional. Although they were apart it was obvious how deeply they still cared about each other...

I would post some captures of that scene if I had it captured but at the moment I don't think I do and I am waiting for my new capture card to arrive with the post.

uvs181114-001.jpg

The beach scene is a great one as well. I love the way they just start laughing and keep laughing even though it's not really funny. There's such a bond between them. :)
    Like you I also thought they would reunite soon at that point.

uvs181114-001.jpg

In fact have anyone else noticed this, but it seems to me that whenever a season of Knots Landing is about to come to a close they give us a Gary & Val scene where we think they might get back together again the next season to keep us watching...
    And yet it took years before they were properly reunited. Coincidence?
    I think not! ;)

So how do you interpret this scene?

uvs181114-007.jpg

uvs181114-008.jpg

uvs181114-009.jpg

uvs181114-010.jpg

uvs181114-011.jpg

uvs181114-012.jpg

Was it a fantasy or a flashback?
    Or maybe a dream...

I'd be interested in hearing your interpretation of it.

Also to everyone who has read this thread but haven't commented anything yet. I would love it if you could join in the discussion. :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018 at 10:21 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,702
    I thought that Gary's appearance in Shula had begun to stir her memory and her subconscious was telling her that it was Gary she belonged with and not Parker.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,577
    So basically we both interpret the scene to mean that Valene knew subconsciously that she belonged with Gary and not Parker. ;)
    What's your interpretation of the scene @Julia's Gun ?

Also I have another question for discussion that I hope more people can join in on as well. How many times were Gary & Val married?

The reason I ask this is because I always thought it was three times. But then I read a post by @Seaviewer on the Dallas board where you said that they were never divorced between the first and second wedding, which would make the second one a renewal of their vows. So now I am wondering which one was it?:think:

Also if Gary and Val never divorced between the first two marriages doesn't that mean that Valene also cheated on Gary when they were apart?

I think it was implied in an episode of Knots Landing that Valene had had a relationship with Rusty in between her marriages with Gary. Rusty was the guy with the daughter that Gary beat up on after Valene had found him with Abby in case someone doesn't remember his name. So maybe that's why I thought they were divorced since I just don't see Valene as the cheating type. :confuse:

Gary unfortunately was the cheating type as we all know since he cheated on Val with Abby and with Jill and Cathy when he was married to Abby and with Val when he was in a relationship with Jill and of course with Val when he was in a relationship with Abby...does anyone see a pattern here?

Seems like whoever Gary was with he always gravitated back to Val! :)

Finally some photos from the second and third wedding:

uvs181114-004.jpg

uvs181114-002.jpg

uvs181114-003.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018 at 10:51 PM