1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election set for 12 December

Discussion in 'UK & Rest of World Politics' started by Sarah, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    But it was obvious Corbyn was never going to win an election--why did Labour choose him? I mean, if you can't beat Boris Johnson, you can't beat anyone.
    I hope that their next choice is a more rational one--especially since I am sure Britain will soon face unimaginable challenges with Johnson at the helm--especially in 2021 with the provisional deal with the EU over and the UK defaulting to WTO rules with it.

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +19,469
    Boris Johnson is very popular over here, Lord knows why. I struggle to see why so many people like him when he spouts lie after lie, it must be the way he delivers his speeches that they find entertaining. I also struggle to see why anyone would have faith in a Tory government when you look at the state of our country right now.

I'm not saying that Corbyn is the answer to everything, but its the only way forward right now.

3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    I don't subscribe to the argument that "Corbyn was never going to win an election". In the 2017 general election he achieved one the highest percentage general election votes for Labour in recent years: more than Ed Miliband in 2005, more than Gordon Brown in 2010 and even more than Tony Blair when he won in 2005. If any of Mr Corbyn's rivals for the Labour leadership was in charge, I think Labour would be doing worse. The reason that Labour will find winning this election difficult is not because of Mr Corbyn but because people are voting based on their view of Brexit and 52% of them voted to leave.

4. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    I've not given up hope although a Labour win was never going to be easy but I think there is every chance of there being a hung parliament. Labour have been climbing steadily in the polls since the election was called although they are still some way behind.

I saw on the news earlier this week a man whose family who had to rely on food banks to survive and when the reporter asked him who he would be voting for he said "Boris because we need to get Brexit done". I despair at the choices some people make and you are right to say that a Tory win will be a dark day for people who care about others but sadly so many people only care about getting Brexit done.

5. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    In 2005 Tony Blair won his third election in a row. Jeremy Corbyn is about to lose his second election in a row, and likely with a much lower percentage than 2017.
    As for Brexit, if that is the reason for Boris Johnson's percentage, and the majority (52% as you say) of Britain is in favour of it now, then Boris Johnson is right and there is no need for a second referendum: the result would be the same. But if people have changed their minds, then the problem is certainly not that, but we have to look at something else. Or in Corbyn's case, someone.

6. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    In 2005 Tony Blair got the same vote share as Jeremy Corbyn achieved in 2017 (approx 40% in both cases) so Jeremy Corbyn isn't the election liability that some people like to suggest.

Polls are showing that 70% of people who voted to leave the EU will vote Tory in this election whereas the remain vote will be split between Labour, SNP, LibDems, Plaid and the Greens. Overall, more people will vote for those parties than the Tories. I think more tactical voting will take place than in 2017 and some Labour supporters will vote for other parties to keep the Tories out. The result will be a lower percentage vote for Labour but it could still deny the Tories an overall majority.

7. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Well, again, Blair got that after already having been in power for 8 years and 2 previous electoral wins. But as for Corbyn, I do share this opinion:
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...number-10-he-will-have-jeremy-corbyn-to-thank

8. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    Sorry, I was mistaken. Labour under Blair achieved a 40% vote share in the 2001 general election and 35% in 2005.

I disagree with Andrew Rawnsley, if Johnson gets back into Number 10 he will have Jo Swinson to thank because she has been targeting the Labour vote which is splitting the anti-Tory vote and the pro-Remain vote.

9. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I think its a really sad and rather depressing that people would vote Tory. It's ironically Christmas, and the party who steal from the poor, have racist policies etc etc get votes.

I have seen close up what cuts have done inder Torys and yet people still vote for them.

To me it comes down to being kind and inclusive or self centred and wanting people to continue to suffer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    I completely agree with you @Pamela_E. How people could vote Tory because they think the Tories would fix the mess the Tories created during the last 9 years is beyond me.

Whether it be Brexit, the underfunding of the NHS, schools sending begging letters to parents to cover shortages in funding, the soaring crime rate or the 4 million children in the UK that live in poverty, these are all Tory created problems that the Tories aren't interested in addressing.

When I walk down Tottenham Court Road (a main road in central London) at night and see the how many people are rough sleeping there I could weep. We are the fifth richest country in the world for goodness sake, we can afford to be better than this.

Nothing sums up the Tories better than when they cut social security for disabled people to fund tax cuts for the rich. How can that be right?

The Tories are a party who denied elderly Caribbean born Britons health care when they got sick in old age and threatened (and in many cases succeeded) to deport them even though those now elderly people spent almost all their lives here and paid taxes here. This is just plain wicked.

People should be angry about how the Tories have behaved not voting for 5 more years of this devastation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,193
    Well, it sounds like it's done. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,105
    Joy of joys, it appears Corbyn's lights have finally been put out. The country would have been well and truly goosed if Labour under his leadership had been elected, someone who has no respect for law and order, is nothing short of a terrorist toady. But likewise the equally detestable John McDonnell and Diane Abbot are just as bad. An indication of how gormless Abbot is that she turned up at her polling station yesterday wearing two left shoes. The three of them are without the most hopeless yet utterly dangerous individuals ever to sit in Westminster.

Unfortunately one of Corbyn's terrorist allies John Finucane won the North Belfast seat as a result of the pan-republican agenda of Sinn Fein and the SDLP, although on the positive side at least Sinn Fein lost the Foyle seat. Just one seat (Fermanagh South Tyrone) to declare here in Northern Ireland, here's hoping Tom Elliot can beat the awful Michelle Gildernew.

On the bigger scale hopefully this will now allow Brexit to get completed and free us from the shackles of European bureaucracy.

Swami

13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,193
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +332
    sorry but you believed the likes of the Daily Mail. Over the past few years I have seen first hand what Tory cuts have done , especially to the NHS, where people I have know have suffered.

It's a very sad day. I feel sorry for Corbyn, the right wing press went for him, the man who all his life fought for equality. Instead we have a Government backed by racist groups and the likes of Katie Hopkins. You reap what you sow. I just hope you are one of the rich people and can afford private care and never need the NHS or live in an area of poverty.

On the plus side there will be more jobs available for volunteers in food banks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    I think denying how Jeremy Corbyn allowed anti-antisemitism to flourish under his leadership and instead shifting attention by calling the Torys racist has not helped the Labour party.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...poll-triggers-bitter-blame-game-within-labour

At least now maybe Labour will get a better leader.

16. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I really disagree with this, I believe that some have a massive issue with anyone being critical of Israel policies. To the point it becomes antisemitic. Corbyn has a brilliant track record on challenging discrimination but the right wing press and Blairites put it firmly on the agenda.

It's fine to be anti-muslim it seems where there are clear examples or the whole Windrush issue.

But there is obviously a lot more to it with their massive loss. It's very depressing to see areas with mass poverty and huge social issues voting in Boris. I think, in part, people see Brexit as a solution. They have been misguided towards thinking issues like immigration are to blame, where it's actually the cuts in services.

I think the Labour immigration policy scared people in these areas.

I also had friends who I warned aganist tactical voting. But they went ahead anyway and I don't think that helped in some areas.

I do agree Corbyn should have stood down a few years ago, his politics I admire but they will never win during my lifetime. The only alternative, which pains me to say, is a Blair type Labour government.

Interesting but worrying times

• Like Like x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    I'm delighted that the DUP lost ground especially there leader in Parliament losing his seat. Hopefully they will now see sense and compromise to allow a new government to be formed in Northern Ireland.

Sadly, this result means the end of the United Kingdom as the case for Scottish independence is now overwhelming and the Tory Brexit deal is effectively North Ireland leaving the union and Northern Ireland now has more nationalist MPs than unionists one.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Scotland will be interesting as Johnson says he will never grant them a second referendum. So it will mean another court battle to get it through.

At least, thanks to Corbyn and others, we leave the EU with some form of deal, otherwise I think we would have just crashed out. Although I do worry about the whole Irish border issue.

Jo Swinson lost her seat, and she was the one who pushed for this election.

19. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    The way the Tories and the right wing media have used antisemitism to attack Labour has been shameful. There were only complaints against 0.05% of Labour members but it has been portrayed as being rife in Labour. Labour have expelled those who have been found guilty of antisemitism. By contrast, in the Conservative Party antisemites such as Sally -Ann Hart, Lee Anderson and Richard Short were allowed to stand as Tory candidates. Further, we now have a Islamophobic, racist, homophobic Prime Minister. Well done Britain. :mad:

20. Angela Channing

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,852
    Whether people like it or not, we need immigrants because we have an aging population. Our choices are either to have more babies, tax young people more, kill off old people or have more immigration.

Jeremy Corbyn was one of the few realistic MPs who consistently made the case for immigration to support our economy but people weren't willing to listen. As he once said, if you are in hospital, about to have an operation will you really care if your surgeon was born in the UK, India, the Caribbean or Eastern Europe? (I don't recall the exact words but that was the gist of it). I hope people who voted for fewer immigrants are willing to pay more taxes to train more healthcare and construction workers and they are prepared to wait many years for them to have the skills to do the job. Personally, I think they should go to the back of the queue for hospital treatment, behind those who recognise the value that immigrants bring to our country.

Jo Swinson losing her seat was karma. She targeted Labour seats, splitting the anti-Tory and anti-Brexit vote which allowed the Tories to win many seats.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019