George Michael Dead at 53

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Ome, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,435
    Medals:
    Heard the news on the radio this morning, such a shock, i liked Wham back in the day
    it reminds me of big hair, white jeans, white shoes, white tights, ra ra skirts, drop waisted dresses and all things 80s
    2016 has been a bad year for Celebrity deaths and 53 seems way too young

He had a great voice and liked his work with Elton John and Queen

RIP George Micheal

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,085

• Like Like x 3
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,086
    Medals:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,956
    Medals:
    I was shocked and saddened to hear this news. wasn't a massive fan of his music but I liked it and I admired his talent. I also admired that he wasn't afraid to show his support for political causes, including LGBT rights and opposing some of the wicked policies pursued by our government.

5. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,447
    Medals:
    Sad news I really liked his music. This has been a horrible year for famous people's deaths.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    There was a band playing in work tonight and they did an acoustic cover of Last Christmas as a tribute. I actually welled up and then when I finished my friend from work was dropping me home and she had Jesus To A Child playing in the car, it's such a gorgeous song... This has upset me more than I could have imagined.

I think it's because you heard little from him. He wasn't attention seeking. He could just be, quietly there creating great music. You don't know what you have until it's gone.
    He really was a great talent. :(

• Like Like x 4
  7. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,889
    Here's something I hadn't seen before. Apparently there was an original Director's Cut of the 'Too Funky' video by Thierry Mugler, featuring a lot more models, some of whom were male. It's quite different from the released version.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,085
    Sarah Michelle Gellar accidentally pays tribute to Boy George instead of George Michael

It can be hard to keep up with the news right now, which might by why Sarah Michelle Gellar committed a pretty big faux pas as she accidentally commemorated Boy George over Twitter, rather than George Michael, who died in his sleep on Christmas Day.

In a now deleted Tweet, the Buffy The Vampire Slayer actress wrote: "Do you really want to hurt me? I guess you do 2016 - #ripboygeorge I was truly one of your biggest fans."

Sarah Michelle ✔ @SarahMGellar
    Just as sad when you get the correct information- #ripGeorgeMichael thank you to everyone who corrected me- it's still so sad
    11:46 PM - 25 Dec 2016

Sarah Michelle ✔ @SarahMGellar
    And for the record yes I completely know the difference between Boy George and George Michael- I heard incorrectly. My intentions were good
    3:53 AM - 26 Dec 2016

After most of the internet tried to correct her, Sarah was very apologetic for her slip up. She stated in a string of further tweets that she just misheard, and pointed out that regardless of the name, it's all very, very sad.

"Lesson learned," she wrote.

Boy George himself has taken to Twitter to join the hordes of celebrities paying tribute to George Michael.

Despite claiming that the two weren't competition rather than close friends, the Culture Club singer wrote: "I am thinking of @GeorgeMichael's family, friends and fans right now. He was so loved and I hope he knew it because the sadness today is beyond words.

"Devastating. What a beautiful voice he had and his music will live on as a testament to his talent. I can't believe he is gone. I hope the Buddha will hold him in his arms."

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,085
    I hadn't seen this either, what a great find.

10. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    I read a number of comments regarding GM's death on the 'net saying that it's a shame celebs don't get to see the tributes paid to them while they're alive. So at least The Boy gets this little gift from Buffy.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,085
    George Michael's £100m fortune may be inherited by his celebrity godchildren

George Michael's vast fortune may be distributed to his celebrity godchildren in the wake of the star's unexpected death.

George was godparent to his cousin's two children, as well as to (Spandau Ballet) Martin Kemp's children Roman and Harley. George's former partner Kenny Goss is also godfather to (Spice Girls) Geri Horner's daughter Bluebell, who may also receive a portion of the Wham! frontman's estate.

As well as his extraordinary generosity and philanthropy, the singer also invested his money into property and prolific British art by the likes of Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin and Banksy.

Roman, son of Martin Kemp and Shirlie Holliman, (Wham!/Pepsi & Shirley) paid tribute to his godfather George yesterday, taking to social media to write: "We love you Yog".

In a separate post, the TV presenter remembered Michael as the "man we all love".

"The man who toured the world with my mum; her best friend. The man who introduced my parents; who forced my mum to call my dad,"
    he wrote.

"The man that took me and Harley around the world; just to see us smile. The man we all love. We love you Yog"

[​IMG]

The news of Michael's sudden death shook fans and friends of the star the world over, with the likes of Sir Elton John, Madonna and Mark Ronson all paying tribute to the pop icon and trailblazer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,149
    Medals:
    Same here, I just couldn't get it out of my mind. Therefore I decided not to turn on the radio (I'm sure it was all about GM and his songs), otherwise I wouldn't be able to concentrate on work at all. Haven't felt this way about a famous person's death since....since Lady Diana, I think.

Tonight I'm gonna take down the Christmas tree. I'm completely done with it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,722
    Medals:
    Funny, I did see George Michael as a little whore-y in his early years, kind of a posing, gonna-get-ahead cynic in a very '80s sort of way. Pretty, energetic, but just slightly contemptible.

But then, so was McCartney twenty years earlier. (Some might say Lord Paul still comes off that way).

It was after George Michael had been solo for a while that it became apparent he was a much more sensitive artist than the image he had deliberately cultivated initially -- that of the vacuous, soulless, über-coiffed pop dispenser.

In fact, he was kind of brilliant. And weirdly honest even when he was lying.

But I don't care what anybody says about privilege and money: fame kills people, especially that type of fame. And most of us don't entirely know why.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Medals:
    okay that was funny as hell her hearing wrong. and i'm sorry but George Michael at some point after his faith tour and everything was done got some really bad hair cuts. he had good hair in the 80's. anyways the funniest thing that came from him was well other than his bathroom episode 10 or 20 years ago was when SNL back in (1988) i think it was? made fun of him i was in the hospital with apendicitis which i just know i spelled wrong but oh well. anyways when i saw Dana Carvey dress like him and be him i about died laughing

so much my side hurt and my stiches were making me itch even more. SNL hasn't done that to me in i dunno how long i think years

15. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Medals:
    Somehow I can't get the song "Last Christmas" out of my mind today. It's always been my favorite song by him.

It's really sad with all the celebrities that has died too young this year. Our celebrity posting board on here is starting to look like a morgue with all the "dead" threads.

Anyway my sympahties to his family, friends and fans. RIP

• Like Like x 2
  16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,149
    Medals:
    YouTube suggested that I should watch some George Michael videos. I liked this one:

My first thought was, where's the rest of Wham! but of course it was a duo, not a group. Maybe it's because there were often so many other people in the videos (unlike, for example, Modern Talking).

George talks about the screamers, who seem to appear at the beginning of every decade.
    Well, after Wham! there was Take That...I can't remember any pop idols from the 2000's (Enrique Iglesias?) and now we're in the Justin Bieber decade. But he tells his audience to stop screaming.

• Like Like x 1
  17. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    Anyone see his boyfriend's odd statement about how he had fallen asleep in his car and had not been with George when he died? Something really off about that. Wasn't it Christmas Eve?

18. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    I think it just feels that way because they were still in the prime of their lives and their deaths were completely unexpected. Plus there's the feeling of an end of an era to lose heavy hitter music icons. Numbers wise, it probably wasn't all that different from other years.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,486
    Medals:
    Late '90s -early '00s was all about the American boybands Backstreet Boys/Nsync/98Degrees and also about the sexy female blonde pop singer. Britney/Christina/Jessica Simpson/Mandy Moore.

20. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +515
    After the 80's,
    Don't worry, the only pop idols worth remembering are from the '70s and 80's . Bieber can't hold a candle to any of them, and his music won't be around 30/40 years from now.