1. Show your support for DYNASTY in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

George Peppard initially cast for the role of Blake Carrington.

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Swami, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Original Member Since:
    April 2006
    Quite inadvertently I stumbled on information today I had never previously known - that George Peppard had originally been cast for the role of Blake Carrington as Dynasty was about to air for the first time but from what I have read, due to a combination of clashing with the producers and feeling that the character was too similar to JR Ewing in Dallas, he turned it down despite his initial acceptance.

Interesting to wonder how it would have worked with him in the lead role.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  2. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Blake probably wouldn't have softened, for season two, since it was John, who wanted to have Blake become more mellow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,571
    But wasn't that Peppard's take on it too. He just didn't want to play the bad guy even in the pilot? He wanted to change lines and stuff? John Forsythe probably saw that he could eventually soften Blake, but Peppard just didn't want to play a bad guy at all.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Both actors wanted the character softened, but apparently for different reasons. Forsythe wanted Blake to mellow out, preferring a combination of "kindness and cruelty" complexity. But Peppard signed on to play a villain, said he was fine with playing a villain and being part of an ensemble and not being "the star," yet as soon as they started shooting the pilot and Peppard thought he was safe, he wanted the role switched from villain to hero, made sure people knew he was the star, was rude to folks, tried to take over from the director, and attempted to sabotage his costars' performances.

He was the creep he always seemed to be. Peppard was fired when the producers threatened ABC with quitting, and was replaced with Forsythe whom everybody liked.

Also, Joan Collins had done a movie with Peppard about 10 years earlier and -- surprise, surprise -- they couldn't stand each other. So she either would have refused to take the role of Alexis had she been offered it, or Peppard would have gone to great lengths to steal Alexis' thunder once the character threatened to take off as she did in Season 2, out of his own petty narcissism, I'm sure.

Even Joan, for all her flaws, understood being in good company making a production better. Peppard seemed to be trying to pull that Old Hollywood (although he was too late an arrival for that) game of acting as badly off-camera as possible as quickly as possible to establish "this is my set!"

But thank goodness he did. They had to go back to Filoli that fall to re-shoot the scenes with Forsythe now in as Blake.

Director Ralph Senensky, almost 94, goes into the experience of shooting the pilot and Peppard's behavior on his website:

http://senensky.com/table-of-contents/

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Original Member Since:
    April 2006
    I suppose he was relatively fortunate in that The A-Team came up not long after that, otherwise he might have had difficulty getting other big parts.

Even at that, he didn't speak to Mr T for periods of time on The A-Team, seemingly jealous of how Mr T - in his view - grabbed the publicity.

Swami

• Like Like x 3
  6. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Original Member Since:
    I had read that George Peppard was chosen for Blake Carrington first but never knew why he was replaced.

7. Zara

Zara Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I pondered this issue the other day - Peppard vs. Forsythe. Thank god Peppard was replaced. JF is the perfect Blake. The chemistry between JF&LE is very rare on screen, and hard to find.

JF is the only man I know who was sexier in his 60s than in his 40s. The man was so good looking it should be illegal.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017