Gordon Thomson comes out and trashes nuDynasty

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by tommie, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Gatsbyesque

Gatsbyesque Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +442
    That triangle is irreplaceable. I would've given it a lovely death in a reboot and then just let co-matriarch's Alexis and Krystle glide in and out of supporting roles every few episodes to war over the fates of their brood and sometimes the memory of Blake.

The female rivalry, though, has a place. It's essential. In Dynasty, two women need to fight. It is law. And replicating an undoubtedly lesser, but still captivating degree of the glittering anti-chemistry that was Joan and Linda would be easier to try to "fake" "make" than the accidental alchemy of all three. The best bet at keeping the original "rivalry" energy moving forward would have been to cast the living daylights out of Krystina and Lauren and place it between them. They could fight over any and everything including men, position, power. They don't need their own "Blake" because vis a vis the latter two things, they would essentially be waging their own rivalry over his legacy and their respective places in it.

That's the gag... Blake's unseen but palpable presence in everyone's lives even after his death. In a way, he'd have been the Roger Grimes of a reboot. All the best moments haunted by his memory. Because Blake was part of everything of value in their lives, whatever it was, he'd always be symbolic of the thing they'd all be obsessed with, fighting over, or unable to escape.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Gatsbyesque

Message Count:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +442
    It will be very interesting to see what Bellwood and "J.J." say to The Daily Beast about the reboot. If he's seen it, they have. And they're all social with each other. Bellwood is going to be the most respectful out of the bunch. JJ may trash it worse than Thomson did, depending on how he's feeling that day.

I get the feeling Thomson would adore my reboot ideas. :kiss:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,448
    Medals:
    Alan Dale (70) , Grant Show (55), Nathalie Kelley (32) and James Mackay (33) will be very flattered if they ever read this interview, as Gordon assumes they aren't over 30. :D

He didn't feel attracted to JJ as he said, but i wonder how he felt about Maxwell Caulfield or Ted McGinley at the time.
    Death ill Rock Hudson couldn't be the only one he found attractive from the cast back then - or was he only into much older guys? But if so, then what about Charlton Heston or John F.? :D Or maybe he had a crush on Lee Bergere? :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    In essence it's a great idea, but I don't really recognise it in original Dynasty.
    These characters never had any emotional or strong on-screen scenes or relationship, and post-season-1 "Blake" never had that strong and charismatic "legend" appearance, let alone a "business legend".
    After all, once they started to focus on the female rivalry, he became a Dynasty man like all the other Dynasty men. There was only one king and that was Nolan Miller.

So it would take one hell of a brilliant writer to make that a convincing and entertaining angle.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    Also, Kirby didn't have all that much potential -- I didn't love her nor hate her, and thought the actress well cast in the role. (Although the show typically didn't do the right things with her, even when she was there). But I don't think I'd find Kirby compelling enough even under the best of circumstances to warrant her ever winding up at the top of a Dynastic pyramid.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,027
    Medals:
    Kirby should have been named Rose, or Lily or Daisy or any other flower name and she should have been a nanny/governess who turns up and causes a little drama between Jeff/Fallon/Adam. End of arc.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    But what if the sequel focusses on the legacy of the queens?
    What if Lauren idolizes/becomes obsessed with the imago of her deceased grandmother, and decides to crown herself as the new queen of Denver?

In the early years after season 9, Krystina became very successful as a beauty pageant, but she had an accident (was it?) caused by Lauren and she could no longer do the competitions - in other words it was the end of her career.
    And then she started to eat and eat and eat and she became very obese. And eventually she wanted to "eat" America and own every independent oil company. Mine! Mine! Mine!

So there the story starts with the Fabulous Bitch and the Greedy Monster, with a tragedy and Alexis' legacy in the background. Accompanied by lots of sexy hunks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    JJ already trashed the reboot, the article with his reaction is in a thread in the dynasty reboot forum.

9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,027
    Medals:
    I can not wait to read Joan Collins' views on it and in particular on nuAlexis.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    Perfect. Her connection with Joseph never really worked for me. And she looks like a beautiful governess.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    How about focus on a different kind of queen?

Steven and Miles and Adam (who have all come out since the '80s series)... could nuDYNASTY truly avoid homo-incest?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,027
    Medals:
    And her Victorian buttoned up to the throat costume choices and gothic look would have made sense in a vaguely hinted at subconscious level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    Special Guest Star
    [​IMG]

14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,027
    Medals:
    Ohhhh look! It's Count Vin Diktiv!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    American Dynasty Story, that's how it should look like. And yes, they should use our fabulous names.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. kitkat1971

kitkat1971 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Reading Thomsons interview and this thread seems there are a few different discussions so might do a post for each rather than one long one.

Firstly

This revelation was hardly a surprise. There have been rumours for so long, combined with no official denial or lawsuit threats that it seemed obvious.

I'm glad he finally feels able to publicly come out and hope he finds some peace and support by doing this.
    It's awful to think how much.of his personal.life and fulfillment has been stolen from him by society's laws and attitudes and that even though he clearly has friends that care about him (he mentions Al Corley, Jack Coleman, John James and he at least used to be very close to Linda Thorson) he didn't feel able to confide in them.

As he says, if anybody cared enough, they probably would have known and I suspect that is true. His friends, especially Hollywood friends, are going to have known but not raised it as they knew how damaging it could be professionally, plus it was his life, so up to him to tell them.

I've had friends and colleagues I've been sure were gay but left it to them to tell me. And at least when one did, she saud she'd thought I might have guessed and me being so nice, not directly asking her, or gossiping, gave her the strength and trust to cone out to me and talk about the problems she was having with her secret girlfriend.

Back to Thomson, I'm sure his cast mates knew and just understood/respected his decision to stay quiet.

I remember Thomson talking about planning his suicide when in his early 30s because work was so hard to find. I wonder how much his sexuality (or having to deny it) had to do with it as well?

It brings home just how difficult it was for people of his age group. Not that I'm saying homosexuals have it eAsy niw but compared to growing up in a society where it was illegal and religion was much more dominant also saying it was a sin.. if it was even talked about at all.

• Like Like x 2
  17. kitkat1971

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Secondly

I've always thought that John Forsythe was a little bit in love with Linda Evans as she was with him.
    Not in an adulterous way or even lustful way. I don't suggest for one minute that Forsythe wanted to cheat on his wife physically or emotionally but I do suspect he 'fell' for Linda as a colleague, friend and woman and was protective due to that.
    We know Evans had a crush on him when she was a teenager which didn't seem to go away but it was light hearted.

With McGraw I think Forsythe was probably trying to be nice. Welcoming her to the set but also apologising in advance that he'd do everything he could to stop Blake cheating and if that meant her going, so be it.

I always got the impression Thomson liked both Beller and Hunley. Interviews from 87 to 90 on British Tv he'd regularly refer to Leann as the most beautiful woman on television and seemed to genuinely adore her. He and Beller apoeared together on GMTV unexpectedly when he was hosting for a week and she was promoting The Bronx Zoo and they seemed to get on really well and be pleased to see each other after a while.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. kitkat1971

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I would be interested to know what scene was the filler and.if.it ever cane to air.

His saying he wasn't attracted to John James doesn't mean much. He recognises he was handsome but didn't fancy him. Nothing wrong with that.
    I as a child/teenager recognised Jeff was good looking but so was every one in the show in different ways.
    Never fancied him. Or John James though he is much more attractive and very likeable when interviewed as himself.

19. Gatsbyesque

Message Count:
    Comms Manager
    Ratings:
    +442
    I am starting to think Thomson wasn't looking at people in that way, in general...

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,191
    Medals:
    I wanna see that!

• Agree Agree x 1