1. You Know Nothing Jon Snow

The Final Season GoT: s08 e03 The Long Night

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones on HBO' started by Emelee, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    I think it made perfect sense that Arya killed the Night King. She did all that training for something big.
    Everyone expected Jon to be the hero, so it was terrific that it didn't turn out that obvious way.
    Also, Jon didn't really know what the heck he was doing in this war. Also makes perfect sense: Jon Snow still knows nothing. :D

All major characters need to do something big in the final season. Bran & Arya have now probably done their big parts. I expect the other major characters being more proactive in the last 3 episodes.

2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    Everyone asks who the Night King is.
    No one asks how he is.
    Maybe he's just misunderstood?
    A kind helpful soul who was bullied his whole life because of a bad skin condition, but he only wants to be your friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the bully who turned everyone against the Night King because he was jealous was none other than Jon.

[​IMG]

The Night King - A true hero!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    Did you know that Lady Lyanna Mormont was only gonna be on for 1 episode originally? When the creators saw actress Bella Ramsey on set, they decided to keep her on for longer.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,935
    Medals:
    Well they spent a lot of money on that set piece it would have been nice to see it all.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,935
    Medals:
    Finally got caught up and wow! That was intense! I'm not gonna lie, I actually cried when Arya appeared out of nowhere and destroyed the Night King. My heart was in my mouth the whole episode and I alternated between feeling like I needed to be sick and sitting all around the room in strange positions. On the sofa, on the floor, on the table, on the window ledge... I couldn't stop nervously fidgeting. It was amazing TV!

When the Red Woman was trying to light the trenches I honestly thought I was going to pass out from anxiety! Before she came forward to do that I was screaming like a mad man! Light the f**king trenches!!!

I am so sad that this is all coming to an end. It reminds me of how I felt when LOST was coming to an end.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,550
    Medals:
    I am soothed by the fact that before long we will have the prequel. It's set 5 thousand years before this one so it's a completely new story. I'm sure it's gonna be just as awesome as GOT, so I'm already looking forward to that.

And it's got Miranda Richardson!

Miranda-Richardson-as-Queenie.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,935
    Medals:
    Also I am kind of amazed and proud that that was all filmed in Belfast. Amazing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,935
    Medals:
    And also Naomi Watts too I have read. I'm intrigued by the idea but is it actually based on material by George RR Martin or will it be written from ideas by other writers?

10. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +728
    As far as I'm aware it's an original idea but would be very surprised if GRRM hasn't had some sort of input. He's certainly been kept up to date and informed of the ideas and plans so I'd have expected the writers to consult him on certain things as it's a world he created and may have his own history in his head (much like J.K Rowling did).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    I expect he will be involved. If someone drops a hat, GRRM stops writing "The Winds of Winter" and runs to them.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Well quite. I've not read the books but feel so sorry for the people that have and are waiting....and waiting...and waiting for the next one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The episode was so dark, but other than that I absolutely loved every second. It was fitting that Arya killed the Night King, considering all the little moments that led up to that scene. One thing though, did anyone else notice how useless Daenerys was without her dragons?:confused: (not exactly Queen material:p)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,619
    Yes!! I hadn't thought of that until reading this.

As incredibly amazing as I felt watching episode three, there was sadness in me as I come to terms with the fact it's ending.

During that last season of LOST, I was in TV heaven with everything coming together and I remember how excited I was knowing that we were going to get a conclusion and how soon that was coming. I'm there again with GoT and it's everything & more than what I had imagined the last season would be.

There are only three shows that I've watched from the beginning as soon as I finished the final season, LOST, THE SHIELD and SENSE8. GoT thrones is now going on that list, I'm super excited about watching it all again from the beginning.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    The criticism against Arya saving the day has been growing (and even her own boyfriend thought the moment was stolen from Jon :D) with many calling her a Mary Sue character. The criticism is grounded on the theme of the decade, that unless your central person performing heroic deeds is female, you are considered sexist. But while I do sympathize with the rejection of the latest trend mentioned, my thoughts are
    1. From a writer's perspective, Jon felt so predictable as the one who would kill the Night King. It was a great slight of hand when it looked like Jon would be shattered by Vicerion and Bran by the Night King.
    2. Going to the other extreme where any woman heroine is seen as a product of political correctness run amok is also insane.

But the show still has some 'splaining to do: Was Beric's role to save Arya? Then the Lord of Light does bring people back for a reason. But if that is case, what was the reason he brought back Jon? Surely not for him to simply decide the fate of the iron throne. Petty politics is not a god's business. Since LOST was mentioned (which I thought turned ridiculous the moment they started turning that frozen donkey wheel), GRRM publicly voiced his disappointment with the end of LOST and what a let down it was. I hope his on screen adaptation fares better with its explanations and resolution of its theories and mysteries.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,935
    Medals:
    I mean I just don't get the criticism of Arya saving the day and slaying the Night King. Hasn't this what her entire story arc has been leading to. Isn't this who she is? Since the day she saw her father beheaded she's been turning herself into a stealth warrior. She has mastered so many skills and become a perfect assassin. A while back I finally realised that Jon Snow really does know nothing. So I'm glad it wasn't him. I would have loved if it was Arya or Sansa so I am pretty happy with how it all went down.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Medals:
    I don't get the hatred as well. I was really cheering "Yes Arya!!!" at her when she jumped at the Night King and so did my 2 friends next to me.
    But you'll always find hords of people who like to hate and hate and hate and hate, and many like to join in that canon, when in the moment while watching they actually cheered for Arya as well! ;)
    There are many people who said that it was sooooo much better in the first seasons, but those had their flawas as well, it was never a perfect show and especially the books 4 and 5 are far from being perfect as well.
    I remember some episodes that were quite boring, and you didn't see much else than Dany running around in the tower of the undying in search of her small dragons while others were endlessly bla bla bla bla bla walking in circles in the gardens of Kings Landing, even Southpark made fun of that in an episode.
    Most people only remember the beheading of Ned and the Red wedding and say "wooohooo, it was soooo much better then!". :re:
    I enjoyed it then and i really enjoy it now even more, the only thing i really don't like is that it's all over in 3 weeks already. :(

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,619
    I agree it doesn't make sense. The last thing I want in a show is predictable outcomes and to have Arya be the one was probably one of the last people I would have gone with, even though (like Alexis mentioned) it's been building up over the years - it kinda all makes sense and that's why I find it totally believable.

As Jon was getting nearer to the NK, I naturally assumed this was going to be the final showdown and even when the NK raised the newly dead back up I still thought Jon was going to reach him.

Then when Arya jumped out and he grabbed her throat I still didn't see it coming, I thought this was the end for her. The delight and joy that followed just made the whole episode even bigger than it already was - if that's possible!

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,935
    Medals:
    If I'm gonna be honest. I suspect that it was mostly not very bright people that had a problem with Arya saving the day. Would a show like GOT be as predictable as to have the hero be Jon or Dani? No. Think outside the box.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Medals:
    And it's not like Arya didn't practice exactly these kind of jumps before (jump at 3:32):

;)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1