1. You Know Nothing Jon Snow

The Final Season GoT: s08 e04 The Last of the Starks

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones on HBO' started by Emelee, May 4, 2019.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    3 episodes remain. The final battle, the game of thrones, will be the focus. Who will end up sitting uncomfortably on a chair of pointy swords? Current Queen Cercei? Determined dragon-mother Daenerys? Her nephew Jon who actually has the bigger right to the throne? Surprisingly sensible Sansa? The newest kingslayer Arya? The original kingslayer Jaime? Or everyone's favorite dwarf Tyrion? We will know in about 2 weeks. But first, there's episode 4. Time to prepare!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    Apparently, HBO is 4 for 4 on episode leaks. This one was leaked as well (including some twitter users posting a short video clip from the episode).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    "The Last of the Starks"
    This episode was actually well paced; it had moments that it showed you things, as it used to, and they actually did stop to mourn the dead. For instance, Daenerys is looking at the Lannisters brothers together, Jon with the men from the North, and she feels all alone. Gendry got a nice title, but not the girl, and I did not expect anything more. But if Arya kills Cercei in addition to the Night King, then the twitter will actually be right about the show's creators.

Sansa is getting to be monomaniacal with her hatred of Daenerys. She did, after all, come all the way up North to help Winterfell, and lost a shitload of men in the process.

I am not sure if Jamie left to be with Cercei, as he suggested to Brienne, or to kill her, which I either hoped or surmised.

Bronn actually taking on the task of killing Jamie and Tyrion is one of GoT's ridiculous moments (kinda like the whole Dorne storyline).

Tyrion and Varys are getting too worried over Daenerys too soon. Cercei blew up her own people already. Why is she less dangerous than the potential harm they fear Daenerys might do? Although frankly, after killing one of her dragons, I think I do want to see her burn a lot of people. Like, a whole lot. But Euron I would rather leave to the hands of someone like Grey Worm.

Based on the trailer and narrative logic, I'd expect the King's Landing battle next week, and all the roman/medieval court shenanigans to take place in episode 6.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,290
    Medals:
    I have a bad feeling Daenerys and Jaime aren't going to make it after this episode.

It was good to see Tyrion and Varys strategizing again as we are in the last hours of the series. I did miss this and wish we would have seen more if it in the last few seasons.

• Like Like x 4
  5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Medals:
    Wow. What a rollercoaster of emotions. So much great stuff in the post-battle - the funeral, the dinner, the humor with Tormund and the Hound, Gendry becoming a Lord.

Poor Gendry didn't see that wedding proposal rejection coming! But I don't think it's over for them just yet.

Bronn's scene was another standout.

Brienne and Jaime were the emotional center of the episode and it was so, so good. I wasn't sure if they'd ever go there, but I am so glad they slept together, even if it wasn't an expression of romantic love from Jaime but instead platonic love and gratitude (at least that's my reading for now). I found Jaime's continued guilt over his crimes extremely touching, and a natural continuation of his redemption arc, and of course, what can be said about Christie's heartbreaking reaction to begging Jaime to stay and him leaving? EMMY for Christie!

And then the dragon being killed out of the blue! What a twist. What a scene.

The final scene was phenomenal. Cersei at her coldest, evilest, bitchiest. Poor Missandei.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Medals:
    They killed another Dragon, noooooo! :sad::sad::sad:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    Daenarys is progress. She brought Starbucks to Winterfell, and God knows the North needs hot drinks in their long winter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    I am traumatized!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved the episode though. I especially loved how Jaime decided to free Brienne of her virginity, since she was obviously ashamed of it, poor thing. Well, it looked like he took it twice. :D They have such good chemistry.

What on earth is Jaime's plan? To die with Cercei because he feels too guilty to forgiven for his sins -- or to do the world a favour and kill her? I am desperately hoping for the ladder, but who knows. Twins coming to the world together, leaving the world together. Sounds poetic. I do wish he'd forgive himself, cause he hasn't done much worse than many of the others. Most characters have killed.

Then the murder of Rhaegal (I think it was that dragon that was killed, as Daenerys often rides Drogon). Only one dragon left. How incredibly sad!!! Kill Euron Greyjoy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never expected this to happen: I no longer want Daenerys to win the throne. I am siding with Varys. Daenerys is too hot-tempered. Jon would make a much better ruler. As Varys said, maybe the best ruler is one that doesn't want to be king? Tyrion agreed with Varys, you could tell, but he's already sworn loyalty to Daenerys and doesn't want to go back on his word.

At this point, I think even Sansa would be a better queen than Daenerys.

Cercei killing Missandei was obvious. Of course, she'd do that, anger her enemies and provoke them to make bad and hasty decisions. Well, I don't think Cercei will be victorious either way. The villain never wins in the end. Not even on Game of Thrones.

Let the games begin, again.... Episode 5 will no doubt be epic.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    Realistically, my first choice would be Sansa, followed by Daenerys. Sansa was actually planning for provisions for the people for the winter--a practical ruler is the best kind. Daenerys is idealistic, and idealism can turn into ridiculous absolutes. Jon is so clueless, he did not realize his own comrades were plotting to kill him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Daenerys becomes more and more The Mad Queen with every episode. I LOVE EVERY SECOND OF IT.:p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    A king or a queen doesn't have to be brilliant on their own, that's why they have a hand. ;) Jon is IMO a better option than Daenerys (and Sansa) because he's both fire and ice. Half Targaryen, half Stark. He gets people to want to follow him and to fight for him. He is a natural leader and his end goal is not to sit on a throne, but people working together. He would be a fun king, but he'd be just and he'd be willing to listen to everyone and carefully weight all options.

Sansa has grown so much. As you said, she is practical. But she's also sceptical and level-headed. She knew it was a mistake to charge against Cercei so fast after the battle against the Night King. Daenerys didn't listen. And now another dragon is dead.

I just can't bring myself to root for Daenerys as Queen of the 7 Kingdoms. She should go back to Essos and rule that continent. She did good there. Not so much in Westeros (so far).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,619
    This is all just too much!

I literally die another few minutes as each episode ends. I want them all to air right now! Then again, I don't think my heart would cope if I had the last season all at once.

My WTF moment came when I saw the mighty army of Cersei and then the camera shot around to see this little blob of an army standing there.

sm.jpg

One question bothered me. Cersei is as evil as they come, so why didn't she just blast Daenerys and those stood with her? Why would she spare their lives?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,290
    Medals:
    I just don't know how Daenerys stays sane after losing Jorah, Rhaegal, and Missandei in such a short time in addition to her issues with Jon Snow.

[​IMG]
    All of Cersei's enemies have fallen for what Olenna Tyrell once said was "failure of imagination".

• Like Like x 3
  14. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,550
    Medals:
    Which one of you cowards shit in my pants?? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    Probably because she gets aroused by wars and bloody battles. And she loves to torture her enemies. Killing them right then and there would have been too easy after all her preparation for a grand battle. Go big or go home. Cercei isn't afraid to die afterall. She's lost all her children and her brother/lover. There aren't many joys left in her life. She must be very bored, having waited so long for this battle.

That's my take on it anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,128
    Daenerys used to be about breaking the wheel, and now she just wants to be the spoke on top, forgetting its circular nature. But I don't know if her deterioration is not a result of the writers having to do it without a book to fall back on.

The killing of Rhaegar disappointed me because it was such a big moment, yet it was dealt as a quickie--oh look, dragon, poof, gone! For instance, how did Euron's fleet became such experts in Scorpion marksmanship? Usually when the show has a big twist, it gives you some hints and makes the whole thing gain depth and expanse, like the red wedding with the violins and the direwolves crying outside the halls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Medals:
    I was glad that it was over so quick, i looked away anyway and started crying. I can not see Dragons die. :(

Happier times:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,619
    That was all I could think of too, that and her sheer arrogance with it all.

19. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    Medals:
    And her sadistic nature. All in a good combination of hatefulness.

Many people on Twitter seem to think that Jaime went back to King's Landing to protect Cercei or to save her. I'm not sure why they think that. GoT has spent 7 seasons for his redemption story, with temporary setbacks where he has been lured back to the evil side. At the end of season 7, he finally seemed to break free for good. Why would they have him go back to the dark side? It doesn't make much sense. Unless they want a story that doesn't make much sense.