The Final Season GoT: s08 e06 The Iron Throne

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones on HBO' started by Michael Torrance, May 14, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,744
    Medals:
    This meme says it all:

[​IMG]

He can see the past and the future. He sits back for years, relaxing, as everyone around him does the job. He says nothing. No heads-up, no warnings. Then he swoops in and takes the throne.

Devious but clever.

At least he let the North be independant. Queen Sansa of the North.

I am glad the show ended here, cause King Bran with only reasonable people around him would make a boring series.

Bran........ who would have guessed it during seasons 1-7?????

Well, at least the Mad Queen was killed and Jon was reunited with Ghost. And Sansa as queen. 3 good things. Not 100% bad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    there was also this funny tweet:

TYRION: People love stories. And no one has a better story than Bran

ARYA, WHO LEARNED SHAPE-SHIFTING AND MURDERED THE INVINCIBLE ICE KING OF DEATH: Bran has what now?

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    To me, the whole finale felt so anti-climatic after 8 seasons of hell. The best scene was Daenerys' death but Drogon should've burnt Jon to death with that iron throne.

Most of all, I can't believe they chose the kid named after a breakfast cereal to be King:confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Medals:
    After what I felt were a few missteps last episode, I was nervous that I wouldn't enjoy the finale but I loved it. My only criticism is that perhaps it was a bit too much of a happy ending, but it all felt right. Considering the journey the Starks have been on since we met them in that first episode there was a real sense of things coming full circle. There were some truly stunning scenes, especially with Drogon, and him burning the iron throne was really spectacular. I also thought Tyrion finding Jamie and Cercei's bodies was a really powerful scene. And actually I'm glad we got that. It didn't seem right their last moment on screen being everything collapsing on them, but this beautiful scene was more like the closure I needed for those two. The scene were Dany touches the iron throne and then her an Jon's exchange, and him killing her was also really good.

I liked the optimism of Bran, who is now almost a buddha like figure, rising to become King, perhaps heralding a new age for the 7 kingdoms. Overall, a great finale, and although this season has had it's flaws, and not every character got the end we may have wished for them, for the most part it has been pretty damn good, and amazing TV.

Roll on the prequel! It can't come soon enough.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Medals:
    Oh, I also thought this scene was beautifully done:

d.JPG

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Medals:
    I want a season 9! :frustration:
    I would like to know what these remaining people do now and what new problems they encounter.
    I wanna know where Drogon took Dany and which mysteries are there still in those woods beyond the wall. And i'd like to see what Arya finds in the west.

I don't want to let go with GOT. :cry:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    Agree totally, though I have to admit I did wonder with a little hope that he might have found them alive. Especially when we saw him walking through plenty of areas where the collapse had missed.

Throughout the whole show, I was always hoping it wouldn't end up being Bran, but as it played out in the finale, I couldn't have agreed more with it all. That shocked me, but I felt it was the best way to move forward and then to have no heirs to the throne but to elect each leader as and when the time is right. I also thought it was a lovely touch making Sansa the queen of the north.

It was a truly satisfying end to see the Starks, not only survive all the battles but to move on to their next chapter in their lives.

It would have been nice if Daenerys had survived, but the way she was fueled by power, it just didn't feel right.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,744
    Medals:
    House Targayen will die with Jon. He's the last one standing, and he's sentenced to having no children. That was pretty huge. A house with such long history.

House Lannister could still survive with Tyrion. It would have been nice if Brienne had gotten pregnant and given new blood to the house.

What about House Stark? Bran can't have children. Arya is unlikely to suddenly want a husband and children. That leaves Sansa. Much more likely to have a family, but if she marries a Lord of another house, that baby won't have the name Stark. The name will disappear.

I think the final episode told us that all 3 big houses are on their last generation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,658
    Medals:
    This was my biggest issue with the past season or two. I had really grown to like Daenerys but her turn to being power-hungry seemed too rushed and a little out of character. One rarely saw Varys or Tyrion giving her great council when she was in the north. I think those two could have kept her grounded. I just think she is a tragic character and if she did turn evil I would have liked to see how she would have ruled for a little bit of that time.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,870
    Medals:
    Hehe, the only prediction that came true was mine.

12. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,744
    Medals:
    I feel the opposite. I really liked her in the first 3 seasons. But when she started conquering more and more land, she turned colder and colder. I didn't root for her anymore and I started liking other characters better. It felt like she enjoyed killing her enemies. Not just killing them because she had to, but also getting a kick out of it. Suddenly burning people was the answer to every problem, until finally she burned people without there being a problem to begin with.

IMO, the signs have been there all along. Started small, growing bigger with each season.

Just like smirking Queen Cercei.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Medals:
    I think my main criticism of the finale was that it wasn't dark enough. Considering the tone of the overall show such a happy ending was maybe a bit out of character. I had hoped for something a little more bittersweet. And in the last part at times it felt a bit like a sitcom. I could have done with less jokes and more drama.

And also the final montage with Sansa on her throne (which was beautiful), Arya on her ship and Jon in the north really needed a scene on a grand scale for Bran. Perhaps a kind of coronation or him addressing the people of Kings Landing with a speech. Rather than his last scene be him wheeling off to look for a dragon. I felt he needed a grand moment as part of that montage.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,150
    Medals:
    All hail the Queen in the North! Yea, I'm good with that.
    I thought the finale was just fine. I was never the biggest fan of Daenerys, as far back as I can remember. She was always the least interesting or least fascinating character for me. I actually really liked the tragedy of it all. The sneaky betrayal of it, Jon plunging a dagger into her heart, in a lovers embrace as he tells her she will always be his true queen. Yea, that's pretty much Game Of Thrones in a nutshell so I was pleased.
    These people who are all up in arms about her "sudden" descent into madness. Just go back and watch it from the start. It was ALWAYS laid out like that. All she did was ramble on and on about raising cities to the ground and burning her enemies to ashes. She was always power mad. She always had a ruthless/emotionally reactive side. She was destined to be the mad queen.

Jon's venturing into the wood beyond the wall with the wildlings is fitting too. He's not the sentenced, condemned man he first thought he was. He's a free man beyond the wall.
    Arya's new adventures are perfect. She will always be out there, exploring, learning and adventuring. I agree that this idea would make a great TV show. I would watch.
    Sansa being queen in the north is probably my favourite part of the finale. It's what I always wanted for her. She wasn't a born queen, all the manipulations, tortures and horrors and machinations that she endured in her young life melded her into a queen.

If there's something I didn't quite love, but at the same time, I know why they did it. It's that Drogon burned the iron throne. It's, I guess more poetic and symbolic, but it seems perhaps even too fantastical for Game Of Thrones. Although, there was obviously meant to be some strange empathic connection between Daenerys and her dragons. The Dragon instantly knew when she was dead. It would seem it also knew that although Jon actually stabbed her, something much more powerful had destroyed her than a just a mere man. And so Drogon destroyed that.

Brienne adding those entries about Jaime was also very touching. Saying really only good things about him, right down to the next to last entry, then adding "Died protecting his queen" and then closing the book.

I enjoyed it all! I just wish it didn't have to end!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Medals:
    I've heard someone in a review ranting about this, saying, c'mon it's a dragon!, But really who's to say that the dragon isn't a highly intelligent creature? Just because it's an animal and not a human doesn't mean it can't be highly evolved. So I was fine with the scene. It's open to interpretation, but I like to think Drogon knew exactly what he was doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,150
    Medals:
    Drogon and the other dragons could do Daenerys' bidding, swoop in to save her and lead her to safety. They could outsmart the huge weapons aboard the Iron Fleet's ships. They could sense danger to Daenerys.
    Yelling "Dracarys!" wasn't really how she was getting these creatures to do all of that. There was some other connection there. It would seem the Targaryen's (maybe Valyrians in general) and their dragons were like the Stark's and their Dire Wolves, but on steroids.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,870
    Medals:
    question for the fans: when I read these threads (it's mostly the GoT hype that fascinates me) it's all about the Starks and the Lannisters and Daynares.
    But how about the other 6 families, were they still relevant in the last season? Were any of those family members considered a strong candidate for the throne?
    Or was it really only about the big 3?

18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,714
    Medals:
    The only family (that I can remember) really being in the running was the Tyrells, with the wonderful Diana Rigg as it's scheming matriarch Olenna. But they were wiped out by the Lannisters with Olena being the last one to go. She was poisoned early last season.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,150
    Medals:
    ICONIC!
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,870
    Medals:
    Did the fans consider Daynares' bodyguard to be a suitable king? I really liked him in the first seasons I've watched.