Great Double Meaning-- Great Writing

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Lastkidpicked, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    We watched the episode "The Wheeler Dealer" last night, and I noticed how many times Dallas characters spoke a line the sounded like a straight line, but if you knew the background there was a double meaning that made the line great.

The line that jumped out last night was when J.R. was pulling the cartel in on the Asian oil leases. It's important to note here that J.R. mentioned on several occasions how much he disliked Vaughn Leland.

Well, good old Vaughn decided to go in on the deal, not knowing it was a setup. When he told J.R. he was buying in, J.R. gave that mischievous grin.

"Vaughn, the way I feel about you. . . there's nobody I'd rather see go in on this deal."

Bwhahahahaha!

That magnificent bastard!

Have you all noticed any other lines that have a hidden, double meaning?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +780
    That's a great question, and me not having seen any of O-R CBS Dallas in quite a while, I don't know of any similar lines, but from the last part of the one you quoted, I think that J.R. not only wanted Vaughn to be a part of that deal, but for Vaughn to go in over his head (that seems like what the latter part of that line might mean).

3. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    Yes! That is what made the line so great.

I noticed another one that came up a few episodes later. Lucy is first starting to date Mitch, and the family is gathered in the living room talking about it.
    Sue Ellen starts poking right away. "Lucy, I hope this boy works out better for you. Your choices in men haven't been too good lately."

Lucy looks at J.R., "Well, Sue Ellen. We can't all be as lucky as you!"

HA! Great little zinger from Lucy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Medals:
    One of the lines, that was changed as it was deemed inappropriate for the time was,

"Isn't it funny how thoughtful he can be when he is caught with his boots under the wrong bed?" (JR and Sue Ellen)

It was originally "Isn't it funny how thoughtful he can be when he's caught with his choo choo in the wrong tunnel?" :hl:

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    Do any of you remember Larry Hagman doing the BVD underwear commercials?

"My Daddy taught me to be prepared for anything." Larry opens his safe.

"So I put some of my holdings in real estate." Larry pulls out a real estate deed.

"And I put some of my holdings in insurance." And he pulls out incriminating pictures of his enemies!

That magnificent bastard!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Medals:
    Here's another one that popped up while watching Season 5 last night.

J.R. is asking for two hundred million from the Cattleman's Bank. They can't handle that loan themselves so they tell J.R. he needs Vaughn Leland to come in on the deal. Vaughn looks at J.R. and tells him:

"After you cut me in on that Asian deal, I'll see what I can do for you, J.R!"

And the look on J.R's face as he realizes that this statement could go both ways.

I love that subtle writing.