Gregory Harrison DID like his Falcon Crest role!

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Piggy It's Kermit Outside, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,177
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    A new interview with Gregory Harrison aka Michael Sharpe. And surprise, unlike other former stars of the show, he DID like his stint in it and his character:

You stepped in to play the villain role, Michael Sharpe, on Falcon Crest in its final season. Fans would have loved to have seen that series revived as Dallas was a while back.

Wouldn’t that have been fun? Michael Sharpe was one of my favorite characters, my first evil guy. Michael was charmingly evil and that was a fun job. I didn’t really get to cross paths with Jane Wyman (Angela). She was pretty much off the show when I came on. We might have shot something [together] that aired later on in the season. I also did a mini-series, Fresno, with Carol Burnett, which was a satire of all those primetime soaps.

The complete interview here:

https://www.tvinsider.com/735753/am...N9Jb_IAGvpc8Q-Z3sH8sKwlhRqF4DcSnPP8yIrhZ52tNQ

• Like Like x 5
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,362
    Medals:
    I always assumed he liked it, Sharpe wasn't just a stupid villain, he was a very thought through multilayered and very interesting character, the best FC came up with in ages, i liked him a lot as well.

Plus, Harrison was hot a.f.! :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,657
    Falcon Crest had an even bigger ratings dive than the other soaps, even bigger than The Colbys (!) in its final year, but I think it had one of the most dignified endings thanks to Jane Wyman. Somehow I gave up on FC by the end of season four, yet circumstances led me to watching it again in its final season. While I did not find the plots of the season dull, they did not remind me of the Falcon Crest I had watched in previous years.

Testify, testify!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,959
    Medals:
    For me, it wasn't that Michael Sharpe was a bad character it was just that he contributed to Falcon Crest ceasing to be the same show that fans were used to and loved. He would have been great in a Falcon Crest spin off or in a completely different show but he wasn't right for Falcon Crest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,079
    Medals:
    I view season 9 as a sort of standalone part of FALCON CREST. It is a bit like reinventing the wheel and putting Michael Sharpe into the driver's seat. A slick bad guy, who enjoyed ruffling feathers Gregory Harrison acted the part convincingly and together with Andrea Thompson they were the best of the new wave of characters, in the final year.

Angela is back in town; after recovering from her coma, at the hands of evil Charley St. James. It seems her return comes in the nick of time, as Richard and his intended seek to run the business. A meeting is set up with the new bad guy Michael Sharpe, (a scene from season 9, 1989 - '90):

Chao-Li drives Angela to Sharpe, who is waiting in his own limo.

Michael: "Well if it isn't the incomparable Angela Channing. I was delighted to get your call. I've heard nothing but good things."

Angela: "Spare me the chitchat! You and I have some very important business to discuss."

Michael: "Fire away lady!"

Angela: "You know that your sister intends to marry my son and together they want to run Falcon Crest."

Michael: "Right."

Angela: "I also know that you can't stand the thought of Lauren spending the rest of her life with Richard and I want Falcon Crest, for myself."

Michael: "So?"

Angela: "So I think we have something in common, to see to it that the wedding never takes place. Yes!"

Mr. Sharpe smiles at her. Angela then smiles back. Freeze frame on the grape granny. Fade to black and the closing theme begins.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,315
    Medals:
    Yup! I think viewing season 9 as it's own entity is the way to go - honestly, when you look at the story structure and the way it was written it was a good season, just not "Falcon Crest"-y. Maybe looking at it as a spin-off of sorts would make people softer to it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +948
    Medals:
    I don't think there was a scene at all between Sharpe and his second cousin Maggie, since her horrific departure happened at the end of the first season 9 episode. Still could have been interesting to see, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Medals:
    The scene towards the end of season 9 when Angela meets Sharpe in his office was a master class in the newcomer having met his match. The looks they gave each other and some verbals put downs meant the real star of the show was back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brian Kinney

Brian Kinney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I enjoyed Sharpe and I think it was because he reminded me of Richard ca. Season 2. I couldn't stand the St. James villains but was okay with Sharpe because he wasn't a caricature. He embodied the notorious Wall Street guys of that time perfectly and together with Genele they made at least two good additions to the cast (I think I liked Danny Sharpe also but he was written too whiny). I wonder why Gregory Harrison isn't seen as a guest star in current TV shows? He's old but he ages well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,362
    Medals:
    Yes, and if Susan had stayed around, they could have given Maggie a lot of the Lauren material. Sharpe could have been Maggies cousin and felt drawn to Maggie and she to him ... for a while, to then at the end get together with Richard again, leaving a heartbroken Michael behind.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. juschill

juschill Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Michael Sharpe was the sole bright spot of season 9.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1