Greta Garbo

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Emelee, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,644
    She's quickly become a favorite of mine, after having watched both Anna Karenina & Queen Christina this week. I am captivated with her strenght and her ability to steal any scene. She was fierce! She appears confidant and strong, certainly not someone who would allow anyone to control her. And so beautiful on top of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,136
    I've only seen her in Queen Christina. But she was great in it. :clap:I think she's one of the reasons I am proud to be Swedish! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Gemini Risings -- they're such good actors.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ginnyfan

ginnyfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +68
    It has been said many times,but it really is the truth, she was the actress that photographed best and the camera just loved her and when she was filmed some sort of special magic was created. Her movies always have that one iconic shot of her where everything is perfect, like the ending of Queen Christina or the ballerina dress in Grand Hotel etc.

Bette Davis summed it up nicely: "Her instinct, her mastery over the machine, was pure witchcraft. I cannot analyze this woman’s acting. I only know that no one else so effectively worked in front of a camera.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,644
    She has that "thinking acting" that I love. When they zoom in, it's not just a blank stare out into nowhere where the focus is to look good while ending a scene. You can see that there is a thinking process going on in her head, and you can almost tell what she is thinking. It's in her eyes. Some actors do that so subtly and brilliantly. Greta Garbo was one of those actors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,401
    Yea I'm a big fan. I love Anna Karenina and Queen Christina but my favourite is probably Camille. This has long been my reply to compliments given.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,644
    I've tried to look around the internet for more of her movies. There are only 5 available to buy (from the usual Swedish online dvd-selling companies) ; Anna Christie, Mata Hari, Queen Christina, Anna Karenina & Grand Hotel.
    I want more!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,136
    Well I know she's Swedish but I would recommend doing what I did when it comes to Elizabeth Taylor - look for her DVD's abroad. By shopping a lot of my DVD's from England, Germany and the USA I have more or less been able to complete my Elizabeth Taylor collection and have almost all of her movies on DVD now.

I did a quick search on one of my usual websites and found the following Garbo movies:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=dvd&field-keywords=Greta+Garbo

9. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,644
    Lots of "this item does not ship to Sweden" on Amazon. :rolleyes:

I have the Greta Garbo collection dvd box featuring 4 of her movies, the same box that you can order from Amazon.

I hate that they have divided dvds into regions, so we in Europe can't watch dvds from America, Africa or Asia. :mad:

10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,136
    It's annoying for sure but at some electronic stores they can help you unlock the region code when you buy a new DVD. So I can watch pretty much any region I want on DVD. :)

Oh yeah "this item doesn't ship to Sweden" sucks. I've noticed a lot more of those since "Brexit". :(