Grocery store check out lines

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snarky's Ghost, May 31, 2017.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,115
    Probably the best thing she ever did. That voice, those lyrics, that Sax, that choir... It's just amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    Well, it happened again today. Except this was slightly worse. I got into line, placed 6 or 8 inches between the end of my groceries and the big, yellow divider.

While I was in the middle of my stuff being checked out, I noticed that the big, lovely queen behind me had her stuff shoved up against mine and had stealthily removed the divider.

I caused a minor scene. She 'sweetly' explained the complicated logistics of what had just occurred, asserting that, "Oh mah goodness, I guess mah stuff musta fell over onto yours," offering no explanation for how the actual divider was not simply overridden but removed and placed back on that thing they live in beside the check out conveyor belt.

No one died. So I lived up to my responsibility as a human being and citizen.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    Pity that 5-lb. bag of sugar for the kids' lunch didn't "fall over" onto her foot. :innocent:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    Diabetes. She never felt it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mrs. JR Ewing

Mrs. JR Ewing Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Wow...I never thought about the "plastic bar" rule and allowing several inches to allow for spilled items not to crossover and poison my items...
    I think this is what concerns me most when grocery shopping..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    But it doesn't work. At all.

For some, ignoring it is a scam to trick the customer ahead of you to pay for part of your groceries without realizing they ever did so.

But you gotta be all street and whatnot.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,044
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,454
    Amazon's new grocery store Amazon Go doesn't have any cashiers or checkouts

Starting today, you can walk into a grocery store, grab what you want and walk out, without ever dealing with a checkout line.

USA Today reports that Amazon has officially opened its first Amazon Go grocery store, which aims to eliminate all checkout lines, after testing the concept for a year. The location is in downtown Seattle, and it's open on weekdays from 7am to 9pm.

According to the New York Times, walking into the store feels like entering a subway station, since you go through turnstiles by scanning your Amazon app. When you leave the store, you just walk back through the turnstiles, and your Amazon account charges you for what you bought.

A Times reporter tried to shoplift by wrapping a shopping bag around a pack of soda, but Amazon's software caught it and charged them for it.

The technology, called Just Walk Out, works using hundreds of cameras in the store and a brand-new app that you have to download.

Amazon is keeping exactly how it works a company secret, but it combines the cameras with sensors on the shelves to add items to your bill as you choose them at the shop. The only time an employee stops you before you buy something is in the alcohol section, where a worker checks your ID before you take products off the shelf.

There are also no shopping baskets or carts, so you have to put whatever you want in the bag you're going to walk out with. That, combined with the 1,800-square-foot location, about the size of a convenience store, means this place is suited to a quick stop rather than a weekly grocery shop.

That's reflected in the selection at the store too, as there's nothing that would vary in weight, like individual pieces of fruit, and there's a selection of grab-and-go-meals made on site by a kitchen staff.

The store attracted so many visitors on Monday (January 22) that, ironically, there was a line to shop there...

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +813
    No real raucous stories to impart. If pressed, my most notable experience was when some woman on the checkout in Lidl near Wembley said "You're Mo Mouse, aren't you ? Him off that soap forum ? I think you're really funny".

I said "No, you must have me mixed up with somebody else, like Ome".

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    Why would that lady remove the barrier between your lot and hers, and allow her lot to interfere with yours?! I don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    I've come to the conclusion that such strange behavior in public places are attempts by small-minded people to feel a small amount of control over others, as if small manipulations like removing the divider thing will make them feel more powerful. Too often, the recipients of such actions just roll their eyes and allow such things to pass, which would make the lady feel like she'd somehow "won" that small victory, so the lady will likely keep doing it--even pushing the boundary even further to get that same 'kick'. Pushing back like SG did drew the proverbial line in the sand, and will possibly get that lady to think twice before overstepping again. Possibly. I doubt passive-aggressive types like that can totally stop such behavior, but maybe she'll find some other way to get her minor jollies. Lord knows there are a million other ways people can be annoying at the supermarket.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    And it's happened more than once.

Yes, and sometimes more practical goals like getting some of her stuff rung up on your tab. Not that that makes a lot of strategic sense, once it gets discovered, but the low-grade criminal impulse is just always there for some folks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    I don't know about you, but if the cashier rings it up in my purchases, that sucker is MINE. It is no longer hers, not even if she asks to have it voided off my total and wants to pay for it. Nope, you set this in motion, and your lame attempt at trickery now means you will do without. I have no need for a 30-count package of adult diapers, but I'll think of something. You can haul your lazy butt back to aisle 34 and get another one if you need it.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,115
    This is possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever read. Welcome to 1984.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +466
    All I know is, when I go grocery shopping every month, the bar goes between the contents of my mother's trolley and mine, and then when I get done unloading my trolley, if there are people behind me, the bar goes between my lot and theirs. I don't want lots spilling into each other!

• Agree Agree x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)