1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guns on Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Sarah, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Did anyone actually know how to use one?

I'm asking because I was thinking about the amount of guns around Southfork (Bobby and JR both had ones squirrelled away), Sue Ellen brought one into the house and Miss Ellie of course had hers in the hall closet.

Miss Ellie threatened with one but didn't actually use it.
    JR pulled one on Clayton but didn't use it and had one when he went to meet Calhoun (but took lessons AFTER he pulled it on Clayton)
    Bobby had one during the Range War - and both he and Ray fired a couple of shots into Calhoun, very professionally
    Christopher (not expected to be able to use it as he's a child) fired one at John Ross
    Kristin used one on JR - and did a good job so she obviously was quite competent or else she just took a lucky guess
    As did Katherine when she shot Bobby
    Sue Ellen shot JR (badly) but seemed to be aiming in the right direction.
    Jessica had one when she kidnapped Miss Ellie.

Was it a given in Texas at this time that people carried guns? Maybe some of the characters just used it to threaten rather than do any damage? Jock would have taught the boys how to use one but I always wondered then why JR had to take lessons when he was threatened by Calhoun.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Dream Maker

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,892
    Hi Sarah...good questions, for sure, as the questions relate directly to the show, without getting into a goofy ping-pong political match.

I've had a carry license for years as a resident of DE, and an out-of-state license for PA, combined good for maybe 35 states around the union. And I occasionally hunted with 12-gauge shotgun as a kid with my father and older brother. I've never fired a rifle. I'll take a crack at your question. One of our favorite Texans, LastKidPicked, I'm sure can chime in with more info.

1. Miss Ellie for sure knew how to use one, growing up as she did on a cattle ranch in her day. BBG? Don't know. But the professional actress would've been shown, then practiced, the scene with Ray to give the appearance of confident handling of the shotgun.

2. JR knew how to handle also. Didn't he get a bird in Haleyville with a shotgun? Regarding professional mercenary Calhoun and training, it was a prudent step. We can always learn, and with Calhoun as an adversary, honing skills was a good move. Over time, we humans develop bad habits in just about everything we do. This type of focus is important to improve, and also to clean up where needed.

3. Didn't Bobby, after receiving the rifle from Ray, also shoot the steer with ringworm or anthrax with a rifle, and shoot trap or skeet at the range in another scene? No questions here. And we know Ray would've had the skills, having been taken under Jock's wing if not before.

4. Regarding Christopher as Bobby's son, it's for drama only imo. The character knew better.

5. Kristen? My assumption at the time was sure, she was Swellen's sister from Texas. And if she didn't know how to use it, the character would've practiced first. She was a planner in some ways. And she despised JR for what happened between the two of them, giving her the motivation to learn and/or practice first. And Patricia, in developing the "perfect wife" in TX, may have determined firearm handling as important as piano lessons and etiquette in getting a quality husband.

6. Katherine? Growing up in TX, could've learned early on. If not, again, she would've acquired the skills at the time to pull off what she felt necessary.

7. Swellen? Like Kristen maybe. Or could be she learned on the ranch. In her state of mind you mention, and handling the firearm that Kristen used, I would say the character didn't have much in the way of firearm skills.

8. Rambunctious Jessica, from TX, would've known how to handle a firearm for sure.

When I was living in Houston TX around '82, I bought a small 38 revolver for indoor range practice, walk-in & walk-out with the firearm. At that time, as I recall, TX handgun carry was permitted only by law enforcement and licensed security personnel. But, I don't recall any issues of police hassling those who carried one. One carry incident involved a convenience store patron in a store that was being held up at gunpoint. When approached by the robber, the patron reached around back to get his wallet, he pulled his firearm and killed the armed robber on the spot, eliminating the threat to everyone in the store. The police questioned the patron and others about the shooting, and the patron was released at the store with his firearm still in his possession.

Hope this helps. And I enjoyed the "trip down memory lane". I'll be curious to see others' input. And don't be bashful about countering any of my thoughts above. This can make for fun discussion.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,210
    Digger: She was a sweet little thing, Ellie was, with a great big laugh. She had a way about her. She would be sweet as sugar one minute and come at you with a shotgun the next.

JR: It was my grandfather Aaron Southworth’s favourite gun - an 1892 six-shot Colt, a double-action 38 service revolver. The president of the company presented it to [him]. My grandfather was dying. He wanted my daddy to have it.

JR to John Ross: Your granddad gave me that shotgun. Taught me how to shoot on that.

Bobby: I remember how mad I was because Daddy wouldn’t let me carry a gun.

Bobby: There’s nothing wrong with guns. I grew up around guns.

Scotty Demerest: You were raised on a ranch. You must have fired a gun.
    Jenna: I’ve shot a rifle and I’ve shot shotguns.

Gary on his gun: It was my grandfather’s. I inherited it.

Bobby to JR: You taught me how to use these guns [a hunting rifle, an over-and-under shotgun] when we were boys. I never thanked you for that.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 6
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    Nice, informative post. My favorite saying about guns is: "A gun is like a tourniquet. You may never need one, but when you do, you need it very badly and very quickly."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Actually dont forget JR, Ray and some of the hands shot those goons that kidnapped Bobby.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Addict EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    I agree, and thank you for sharing your experience, Bill!

Speaking of a trip down memory lane:
    The above quotes show how much guns are a part of our culture and our heritage in America, and in Texas specifically.

Back in the day a person, no matter how poor, would own a gun. And if that person had nothing else to hand down to their children, they at least had that gun.

To put a finer point on it: If you want to know the most prized possession a Texan can own, it would be a gun that was handed down by their grandparents.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,289
    Michelle Stevens was a good shot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I enjoy the insights you give us on Texan culture! That sounds like an old, old tradition. Nice to see some traditions stay with us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    Get ready for this--
    One of my buddies is an insurance agent. The insurance company had some sort of a sales contest last year. The prize?

A Henry Rifle.

You read that right. An insurance company. In 2019.

Of course, this is Texas we're talking about.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat Dream Maker

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,892
    Back around 1982 I worked for an organ/piano company in Oak Cliff, outside of Dallas, a block down from the Texas Theatre. The company had an annual sale; the giveaway was a brand new shotgun with the purchase of an organ or piano.

upload_2020-1-24_9-23-53.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,186
    [​IMG]

Indeed and she was from Ohio.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    Ooo nice one I forgot about her. Yes she was bang on (pardon the pun)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    BWHAHAHAHAHA! That's great!

• Like Like x 1