1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Has Cidre ever published those first 2 scripts of season 4 she wrote?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by MarkSinacori, May 3, 2019.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Of course now as an adult I find it laughable but when I first watched Dallas I never questioned those number of people living under the one roof. I just went with it. I also thought Southfork (the house) typified a mansion...again proven wrong. That's the magic of television.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    Grrrrrrr...at time jumps. I remember Cynthia stating in one of her interviews continuing the story from a cliffhanger was too much work. Really? Those brilliant writers of Lorimar Dallas didn't appear to have any issues continuing on from a cliffhanger. If we're left with a brilliant cliffhanger we will return to watch the aftermath of said cliffhanger. It's what drives a series forward. I enjoy a good payoff....except well Pam's dream :eck:

A time jump can seriously let a series down. Look what occured on Peach Dynasty when Season 2 returned. Prior to this we're left with a stunning final episode in Season 1 with Cristal/Celia bleeding out. Steven missing in action as flames erupt andAlexis running up the stairs screaming out for Cristal..as if she cared.

Return episode? The Carrington family enjoying another soirée complete with a parrot sitting on guys shoulder.

All was lost :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Medals:
    IMO, many modern day shows care too much about being fast paced. Members of the cast of nuDallas used to brag that they did an entire season of original Dallas in just five episodes. However, I never saw this as a good thing. When the pace of a show is rushed liked that, you often lose precious character development. IMO, Cidre was a lazy hack who wanted to take the easy way out. She didn't want to put in the work of writing how the characters got from point A to point B, she just wanted to jump straight to point B. I've made this comparison before, but Breaking Bad is an example of a modern show that managed to be entertaining, while moving at a slow enough pace to allow for incredible depth and character development.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +960
    Except Pam isn't dead.

I had dinner with Pam & Mark last night.

Christopher & I had an arm wrestling competition right afterwards. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    How many rooms Southfork was supposed to have ? I don't remember everything (and I'm not a Dallas expert)
    - JR/Sue Ellen
    - Jock/Ellie
    - Bobby/Pam
    - Lucy

4 rooms seem stretched, yet plausible. But the house was also supposed to have at least 1 or 2 guests rooms. So it would make 5 to 6 rooms, which seem impossible.

6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    Even as a kid I was not able to buy it, and it was one of the reasons I did not watch Dallas until it rerun on TNN. At the beginning of Dallas, two married offspring were having sex with their wives under the same roof as their parents. Ew!

7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    I now understand the icky factor but back then I was only 13 years old. But this raises another question. Is there a broader reason why the Ewing boys - except in the case of Gary - decided to remain on Southfork. Could it be argued the Ewing family especially in the case of Miss Ellie felt protected by Southfork from outside influences, that is, people wishing to harm the Ewing family; physically, emotionally or financially.

8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,220
    Medals:
    It may be as simple as neither of them wanting to give the other an edge in claiming the family fortune.

9. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +638
    I might be misremembering but didn't Bobby and Pam try to leave and Miss Ellie got all upset? They only came back because JR was shot.

Then remember when it was Gary's birthday or something and Miss Ellie was moping around the house looking at old drawings and listening to a song he liked when he was little. She wasn't just sad he wasn't in Dallas, she likely wished he was there like her other two sons were.

When Sue Ellen left with John Ross and moved to Clayton's ranch in San Angelo JR was upset because they had left but also because Jock would be disappointed his family wasn't at Southfork.

I think it could have been as simple as things were "easier" when everyone was at the house. Easier as in it caused too many hurt feelings to broach the subject of living separately like other people of their age and status.

From a practical production of the show standpoint too, everyone in one house = convenient. No need for explanation for dinner scenes, easy to have people overhear conversations, fighting family members can't easily avoid each other, marital issues are magnified when everyone is watching and has an opinion etc. Also less sets required.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Medals:
    I honestly don't mind time jumps when they're used accurately and to be fair, in this case I can see why it would be justified - mourning the death of a loved one, much less a child will take a long time in real life. With a limited set of episodes, do you really want to have Bobby in grief mode for most of the season? Elena having her child would also push the story forward rather than putting her on the backburner for 90% of the season while she's pregnant.

11. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    That's like Cliff's Notes bragging that they're better than the original versions of the novels they cover because they let you know what happens without needing so many pages to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1