Has nuDynasty come around at exactly the right time?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Aug 9, 2017.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Medals:
    When you look at DALLAS and DYNASTY and the period they were launched in, the timing was perfect, America and the rest of the world was changing moving away from the liberal, easy going, human 60s-70s era and moving into the faster paced, non stop, conservative 80s.

Now nuDynasty seems to be airing where once again the world is on the edge of a big change, neoliberalism which has dominated since Dynasty aired the first time around seems to be faltering, the left wing is going to have to change itself too.

nuDynasty is almost the reverse of Dynasty, where in Dynasty, Fallon states that the world of 1981 is a straight, white mans world, now in 2017 it's probably still the same but except women and minorities have a larger voice than they did 40 years ago, notice how Blake seems to be pushed into the background in nuDynasty's trailers? While, Fallon, Krystle (I'll never spell it how its spelt now so don't ask me to do so) Jeff and Michael (who are both black now) seem more central, and the fact that we're going to have a prominent gay couple from the get go shows how things have changed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Medals:
    Well, Dynasty came during the Reagan years and that NuDynasty comes during the Trump years seems... appropriate?

While people like @Gabriel Maxwell voiced his distaste for this, there's a focus on the rich WASPs again. I think it's perfectly timed - if it ends up working out for them is another thing.

3. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,889
    One major distinction - in 1981 there hadn't been a show like Dynasty before (Dallas certainly hadn't fully embraced trappings of a luxurious lifestyle). By 2017, we have seen a zillion soap operas focusing on the rich, many of which got quickly canceled. I think nuDynasty will have to have something original about it to succeed and I haven't noticed it yet based on the promos so far.

What's the central premise of the new show anyway? Rich daddy marries Latina trophy wife that his daughter can't stand and the two women battle it out for his affections and/or company? They won't exactly set the world on fire if that's supposed to be the core of the show.

Think what you want about EMPIRE, but a shameless soap opera about a black dynasty set in the world of hip-hop - now that was something that felt fresh in 2015. It may have already fizzled out somewhat, but it was a novel concept a couple of years ago.

The best nuDynasty for 2017 I think is a show about a rich family with shady criminal background that infiltrates the highest office of the land and moves into the White House with the help of a foreign adversary that they got in bed with and battle forces that attempt to expose their filthy ways and incompetence. Now that's a soap opera about an (allegedly) rich family that feels fresh in 2017.

Sadly it's one we're already watching and we're watching it in real life.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,599
    Medals:
    A remake of the Carrington saga?
    I honestly can't think of a current tv show that does.
    I don't expect CWDynasty to set the world on fire, maybe not even my little world. But do we always need to reach for the stars?

But isn't this the first prime time soap remake?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,505
    Medals:
    Yes, in a way, it was all seemingly "cleaner" before, with the original DYNASTY. The backstory harked back to, and paralleled, the perceived Americana of the post-war 1950s and early-'60s, and then the cultural meltdown of the mid-'60s onward (topics which the '80s were also obsessed with, albeit revisionistically) with the show's present storyline occurring in a decade wealth-fixated like the '80s, as the 1960s flower children tossed out their idealism and embraced neo-con pragmatism with an astounding cynicism, worshipping at the feet of the quasi-glamorous Reagans and cooing over the virtues of Trickle Down Economics.

Let's face it: that's a narrative.

Today, it's muddier. While the old Blake and Alexis divorce was roughly simultaneous to the JFK assassination, the new Blake and Alexis divorce was roughly simultaneous to the 9/11 attacks. And they could do something with that, yes.

But oldDALLAS and oldDYNASTY were a new kind of show for TV. Today, rich dynasties are indeed old hat. And while the Eisenhower/Kennedy years were fraught with lots of problems (the Bomb not the least of these) there was an already-established idealized mythology about them. Snapshots frozen in time and legendary almost immediately.

Younger people may now view the '90s and 2000s thru rose-colored glasses, too. But I'd argue it's not quite the same thing, other than the normal twenty-years-prior nostalgia that tends to go on in every contemporary era. So nuDYNASTY is going to have to offer up some kind of clever "spin" if its going to be fresh enough to work (which would likely require excellent casting, which doesn't seem to be the case).

The modern audience is pretty jaded and rightly so, not only because of years of a TV diet of Kardashian and reality and performance competition shows, but the world itself.

Sure, The Bomb seems to have made a comeback. But nobody cares. Planetary annihilation used to cause terror is the minds of the public. Today, it's like "meh... if we die we die".

However, if one accepts my assertions about a 60 year cycle, we're now entering a period which parallels Blake and Alexis original marriage. So maybe they should be doing a prequel.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    "The Early Years" courtesy of @Jay and Der Denver Clan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Medals:
    NuDynasty would need to do something big to make it differ from its predecessor and from what i can see, nuKrystle is a b*tch, could this mean Alexis could be the good one this time around who helps her daughter fight her wicked stepmother?

I think also they'd need to utilise the Blaisdel family more this time, another thing I think is that Blake is going to die at the end of season 1, he really isn't featured at all in the trailers, are TPTB doing this deliberately so we don't get used to him?

7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,505
    Medals:
    Heh. Well, no, that's only "new" in the context of DYNASTY itself. It's just a little different from they did before.

We're talking about offering something new in terms of television today. They audience, many of whom never saw the original show, are not going to say, "Ooooooo, Cristol is a bitch now -- that's really new. I think I'll watch!"

nuDYNASTY has to take a fresh approach to the entire overdone rich dynasty genre overall. We'll see if they do.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,889
    That's not exactly a concept. It should have a simple but original premise, one you can easily explain in one sentence. Something that makes it stand out in the ocean of similar shows.

The CW show does have one -- two of America's wealthiest families feud for control over their fortune and their children -- but I think it's too generic and obsolete.

I love The Mick. It's a sitcom about rich people. In this case - rich children.

Very simple, but easily distinguishable concept -- a hard-living aunt is forced to take care of her wealthy sister's spoiled kids after the mom flees the country to avoid criminal charges.

Add some excellent casting to it and you have a winner.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,505
    Medals:
    And I have to fall back yet again on the original's superb casting over the years (which reflected oldDYNASTY's potential, just as the crappy and endless re-casting represented the reality of what TPTB were actually doing to their show).

Hitchcock said "casting is character". You can save a lot with perfect casting. And despite years of largely dreadful plotting, the first DYNASTY managed to eke out nearly a decade of episodes after only two really great seasons of story lines at the beginning. (S9 happened too late to save it).

It's perhaps the key reason that DYNASTY managed to create a cashmere niche for itself despite the fact that DALLAS, also well-cast, had already proven you could do contemporary wealth in a weekly drama series context (which DALLAS was, more or less, the first to do successfully). DALLAS was very male-dominated and Texas-centric, so the female-emphasized, well-clad, jet-setting DYNASTY had more territory to establish, building somewhat on what DALLAS had done. DALLAS was supposed to be the more vulgar, while DYNASTY was supposed to be more posh.

But neither show would have worked without being so uncannily well cast.

It's also why FALCON CREST managed to run 9 years, even though only the first three were any good: good casting (and being scheduled after DALLAS in the States obviously didn't hurt).

KNOTS outran all of them at 14 seasons because it had both good casting and good writing. (What a novel concept, puns included).

But shows like BERRINGER'S and PAPER DOLLS and others never stood a chance. Not because the audience had necessarily had enough of the glitzy genre yet, but because, despite the odd "star" here and there, their casting was dull, uninspired, uninteresting to the audience. And the writing was mediocre despite being no worse -- or even not as bad -- as most of the puerile scripting on DYNASTY.

So, old or new in tone or approach, none of it will matter if the casting of nuDYNASTY is merely attractive and twenty-first century bitchy. If the audience doesn't want to spend time with the cast, the show won't survive.

I'll wait, with jaundiced eye admittedly, to see if they pull it off.

[​IMG]

10. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Medals:
    Dynasty mk1's casting was absolutely golden, they looked the part also! In fact I would most of the actors cast in the 80s soaps were cast perfectly, I can't imagine anyone else playing Krystle or Pam or Maggie or Valene, Linda Evans, Victoria Principle, Susan Sullivan and Joan Van Ark, were brilliant casting choices, however unlike the latter three, the first former wasn't very well utilised after a few seasons and basically became a reactionary character from
    mid season 6 to early season 9 when she finally had a storyline of her own but it was too late as Linda Evans was on her way out.

The problem I have with nuDynasty is that, where old Dynasty, Krystle was under used for several seasons after coming out of the attic, nu Krystle is being over-exposed, its like even now after 30-40 years they still cannot get Krystle right, granted its 2017 and I know we need to move with the times but, do wd really want to ser Krystle act like she's a long lost Kardashian? Absolutely not, the point of Krystle Jennings Grant Carrington is that she never changes her own outlook because she's now rich, Krystle could've (and should've and this is where season 4 hit the nail on the head) been Able to have had a say in Denver Carrington but for gods sake lets not mix her up with Alexis!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    Gabriel the moment I read this I knew where you were going...too funny.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    "Has nuDynasty come around at the right time?

My gut feeling says no. I want fans to enjoy the series and hope for the best. It has been mentioned by other posters they would have preferred if nuDynasty was set just prior to or just after the marriage of Blake and Alexis. If we're talking about the early to mid-fifties or a little later I believe this could have been an interesting era.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,505
    Medals:
    Although, as I said:

14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Medals:
    Funny but when I think of Trump and his presidency I don't think of rich wasps. I think of hicks in trailers.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,505
    Medals:
    Yes. Although while it's those hicks in trailers placed Trump in the presidency -- it will only benefit rich wasps (well, I guess rich Catholics and Jews and Wiccans, too).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,599
    Medals:
    But I think it's going to be the difference between this and "Oil".

17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,000
    I've never sat down and watched all seasons of Dynasty but from conversations I've had with others it would appear Krystle simply became a punching bag for Alexis and the inevitable cat-fight which would occur once a season to please the masses. One of my best friends loved Dynasty. She really took issue with the Lilly pond fight between Krystle and Alexis. Just another pointless exercise she thought. Alexis arrives, claw's out. Tosses out some stinging barbs to Krystle to entice her to throw a right hook. Both end up in the pond only for Blake to arrive and chastise his wife for acting like a couple of mud wrestlers. While Krystle storms off, Alexis is left standing there acting all innocent in the affair. Even for my friend it all became a little silly.

18. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,022
    Medals:
    Actually, no. Blake told Alexis, "I suppose YOU started this, and she [Krystle] had to defend herself!" So really, the blame was put on Alexis in the end, although Krystle was still mad at Blake for humiliating her in front of his ex-wife.

19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,599
    Medals:
    I think it was a little more than that. Alexis ridiculed Krystle over the fact that she was mourning the baby she couldn't have. And if that isn't cruel enough, Krystle lost that very baby because of her. If Krystle ever had a reason to hit Alexis, that was the moment.
    I love watching villains doing villainy stuff, and Alexis could hate and mistreat people just because she felt like it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,505
    Medals:
    The problem is that it didn't feel like that.

Yes, what Alexis said by the lily pond certainly warranted placing her into the lily pond. But, in keeping with the series' increasing sense of tone-deafery, the exchange wound up feeling silly and lame.

Alexis' comment should have been made with much greater bite, and Krystle's offense volcanic.

But that's not what happened.