1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haunted house movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Snarky's Ghost, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,110
    She was bitching about the wardrobe?

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,959
    Maybe she didn't like her own designs.

[​IMG]

3. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,959
    Here's 1986's DARK MANSIONS starring Joan Fontaine, produced by Aaron Spelling, directed by Jerry London, filmed at Greystone-Doheny, and written by FALCON CREST's Robert McCullough, with an excessive score by Ken Harrison (which sounds a lot like COLBYS' and late-DYNASTY's compositions) which McCullough thought had a lot to do with mediocre audience testing results for the pilot:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,959
    Is the original CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) a haunted house movie? Well, the entire pavilion seems to be haunted.

Directed by Herk Harvey, Candace Hilligoss is in a seemingly fatal accident when her car goes off the side of a bridge. Her carmates all drown, but she wanders up onto a sand bar, mysteriously alive. She drives across Kansas and promptly loses her new organist job when she veers from the hymnal in favor of some dancing demon selections more appropriate for a church of satan. Her lecherous boarding housemate wants a piece, but she's not giving it up, despite being chased by a goblin through most of the picture.

Eventually she winds up back at that pavilion she finds so entrancing (although it's actually in Utah).

[​IMG]

There, a party awaits her, and she's the guest of honor.

Filmed in that twilight zone of the early-'60s where creepy is effortless, the shoe-string budget only served to enhance the effect... It's the end of the world, bitches..!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    i dunno if it is, honestly i liked the remakes of Haunted House i think it's called? and the remake of 13 ghosts was pretty good too, not among my favorite films but not bad either,

i'm not one that loves remakes at all but at times they do get it right, house on haunted hill the (1999) film i really loved. in fact 9 times out of 10 you will get me saying how much i hate remakes but than The Maltese Falcon (1941) version is a remake as it had been done 2 times before so they can get it right at times, it's just rare when they do that's all. and most of them do in fact suck but thankfully not all of them

with Carnival of Souls for example the original is a decent movie where it's watchable at least for me, but the remake WOW is that one awful that one is painfully bad. has anyone seen that one? and if not make sure you get a keg and than watch it you will enjoy it more if you do it that way

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,959
    1958's low-budget THE SCREAMING SKULL, with an illustrious 3.7 rating on IMDb.

Incredibly pristine print, creepy in that effortless, end-of-the-world way from the late-'50s/early-'60s. Not much plotline.