Haven Hill (2020)

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by stevew, Jul 1, 2018.

1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    just trying an idea for Dallas which is not Dallas, if that makes any sense:

Television news panel:

“Florida’s close. If Bo Ewing can pull this off the Republicans will hold onto the Senate.”

“With a net worth of thirty-one billion dollars he’ll be by far the wealthiest member of Congress.”

“A trend we’ve seen in politics.”

“His assets, most likely including twenty percent of Ewing Industries, have been in a blind trust controlled by his brother, John Ross Ewing the third, since his election as Florida State Senator.”

“The Ewing brothers founded Ewing Industries with assets of the Texas Ewing Family of Texas, starting with Ewing Oil. There’s been a lot of talk of their unscrupulous way of doing business, including accusations of cheating other family members.”

“Well there’s the famous court case where their sister, Ellie Wentworth, took John

Ross’s x-wife to court, stripping her of her shares in Ewing Global, which she said came mostly from her mother, Katherine Wentworth. The two are cousins.”

“The Family has known more than its fair share of scandal. We could talk about the brothers’ father J.R. Ewing all day.”

“To be fair they’re given away more than their fair share of money as well. The Ewing Family Foundation, set up by the brothers’ grandmother, Ellie Ewing Farlow, and added to with ten percent of Ewing Industries, is one of the country’s most well endowed.”

“And Bo’s wife, Robin Luce, is the President of that foundation.”

“This could be a D.C. power couple we’ll be talking about for a very long time.”

Miami, FL Ritz Carlton:

Inside the grand ballroom a crowd gathers awaiting the election results. A small group off to the side talks among themselves.

“Isn’t that Jack Ewing?” One of them asked looking at a devilishly handsome, twenty-year old man.

“Yeah, he’s been working on his Uncle Bo’s campaign. Just graduated from Texas in economics.”

“Wow, he’s good looking.”

“And a very eligible bachelor. Not only is his father John Ross Ewing, his mother’s Amy Anderson, the New York socialite, you know the niece of Carlos DelSol.”

“Everyone’s heard of Amy Anderson. She’s in all the tabloids. Her father’s senator Marv Anderson from Texas. Her mother runs Globe Media in New York.”

“Which DelSol owns.”

“Oh is that Senator Brown?”

“Yeah, you know she’s thick as thieves with John Ross.”

“Yeah the two of them put her son, Harris Ryland, away for life.”

“Well you know those Ewing’s. They’ll stop at nothing to get what they want and John Ross must have wanted Ryland Transport.”

“Well you know Carlos DelSol set up a lone to John Ross’s mother and Uncle Bobby and then called it in, nearly bankrupting them both so John Ross could get his hands on control of family company. And then West Star. The stories go on and on.”

“Is that Lady Sue Ellen?”

“It is. Isn’t she still beautiful. Can you believe she divorced Don Lockwood? He’s done everything, made movies, designed cars. His racing career almost got him killed.”

“And he inherited the title Lord Maitland.”

“And she was married to J.R. Ewing. Twice.”

A man in his thirties takes the podium. “Please may I have your attention. Please. Thank you. I’m Matt Cullen. Campaign manager for Bo. We just got word. It’s too close to call. While Bo is in the lead the small margin requires an automatic recount under Florida state law.” The crowd boos. “I know. I know. I’m in complete agreement. Bo’s headed upstairs with his family and will be down as soon as we know more.”

In a lavish hotel suite the Ewing’s gather. Sue Ellen takes a little, eight year old girl aside. The girl says, “If daddy doesn’t win will we still be staying with you grandma?”

“You can stay with me anytime you want, at Haven Hill, and no matter what, your horse will be there waiting for you.”

The little girl hugs Sue Ellen.

A handsome, blond man, about thirty approaches. Thank you for looking out for her Sue Ellen.”

“Of course, Bo.” She hugs him. “You and Robin are busy. Don’t worry. I’ve got this. Come on Susanna, let’s go get Steven and get ready for bed. Your mom and dad are going to have a long night a head of them.”

John Ross takes Bo to the side. “Marcos told me he came across a reporter for the Washington Herald compiling a lot of stuff for once you’re elected.”

“Like what?”

“Like Steven’s mother is in prison.”

“What’s that got to do with my election?”

“I said the same thing.” John Ross waves a Hispanic man about the same age as him over. “Marcos, tell Bo what you found out about this woman and digging into Steven’s past.”

“She’s got copies of everything. Steven’s birth certificate. By the way, I didn’t know his middle name was Clayton.”

“He’s named after my grandmother’s second husband, Steven Clayton Farlow, Jr.”

“Oh nice. Anyway. This girl has got public court records and not so public records on Ellen’s trial, on her collusion with Nick Trevino to launder money for the Mendez-Ochoa Cartel.” Looking at John Ross he says, “And she’s got notes saying you got ahold of the cartel’s money and have it stashed down in Mexico.”

“She’ll never prove anything, but she’s thorough. Too thorough,” John Ross says.

“How do you want her handled?”

“We can’t go about a full frontal assault with this one. But like my granddaddy use to say, ‘if you can't get in the front door, just go around to the back.’”

Cue Theme Music:

Haven Hill (2021)

Lady Sue Ellen Ewing Lockwood (70’s)

John Ross Ewing, III (42)

Eleanor “Ellie” Rebecca Wentworth (35)

Marcos Hasani Ramos (42)

Boaz “Bo” Harper Ewing (30)

Charlotte “Robin” Luce (30)

John “Jack” Ross Ewing IV (21)

Steven Clayton Ewing (11)

Susanna Calpurnia Luce-Ewing (8)

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    [​IMG]
    Sue Ellen

upload_2018-7-1_10-1-15.jpeg
    John Ross

[​IMG]
    Ellie

[​IMG]
    Marcos

[​IMG]
    Bo

[​IMG]
    Robin

[​IMG]
    Jack

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,011
    Well who's to say it ain't Dallas?

I mean the original show did have elements of politics as Bobby was elected a state senator.;)

I'm a bit a confused about the family though. Is Susanna Bo's or John Ross child?

4. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    True but it’s based in DC and just Sue Ellen and John Ross from the original. Potitcal and business. Good bed partners. Susanna Calpurnia, Bo’s daughter but they’re all pretty close and she calls Sue Ellen Grandma too.

5. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    [​IMG]
    Haven Hill

[​IMG]

upload_2018-7-2_23-34-52.jpeg

upload_2018-7-2_23-35-29.jpeg

upload_2018-7-2_23-36-7.jpeg

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
  7. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    Television news panel:

“Republican control of the Senate is down to the Florida race and Bo Ewing is still in the lead, predicted to win by a very slim margin.”

“He’s portrayed himself as an outsider to Washington. But of course that’s not entirely true. His Aunt Donna Dowling is a former Secretary of Energy and his cousin Margret Kerbbs is one of the beltway’s most influential lobbyists.”

“And the brothers have been heavy campaign contributors through a network of non-profits backing a multitude of business friendly, Republican causes and candidates.”

“Rumors still run high that his father, J.R. Ewing was behind the lobbying effort which lead to no estate tax in 2010, the year he happened to die.”

“Interestingly enough, his mother, Sue Ellen Ewing Lockwood, tends to back Democrats. In fact she’s often seen attending functions with Senator Joe Fischer.”

“Lady Sue Ellen is not Bo’s mother. His mother is JR Ewing’s second wife, Cally Harper.”

“Oh, I just assumed. She’s known for those big parties at Haven Hill where she includes just as many Republicans as Democrats.”

“And foreign nationals as well.”

“How much do we really think Bo Ewing is going to impact the Senate. He’s a moderate Republican. More libertarian. In Florida he sided with Democrats twenty-eight percent of the time.”

“Boaz Harper Ewing isn’t gonna be bought off by sone bully commander and chief. He put his money where his mouth was in this campaign. The whole family did. He’s not some bloviating wonk talking about financial prowess based on television marketing. He and his brother built Ewing Industries, yes out of pieces of family businesses, but those were in bad shape. Ewing Oil wasn’t even in family hands when the two went into business together.”

“What about forcing their mother and Uncle Bobby into bankruptcy?”

“But that wasn’t them filing bankruptcy. The Ewing boys never filed for bankruptcy protection, not even close. They’ve assembled one of the nation’s largest privately held business in family hands. With their sister, Ellie Wentworth, they control sixty percent of Ewing Industries. Ten percent they gave to the family foundation. And thirty percent remains in the hands of various family members. Including Sue Ellen Ewing Lockwood and Bobby Ewing.”

“What do we know about his wife?”

“Charlotte Robin Luce, she goes by Robin. Named after her father, media mogul Charles Robin Luce, who’s father was a Texas oilman. Bo calls her Lady Bird. She’s a lawyer by trade, top of her class. A Baldwin girl, then Byrn Mawr, then Penn. Her godparents are the late Senator and Secretary Dowling. And, Secretary Dowling is Bo’s Aunt Donna. One big happy family.”

A polo match on the grounds of Haven Hill with Jack taking an aggressive lead. The family watching. John Ross in his Texas Stetson and wearing the watch handed down from Jock. A pretty woman about his age steps up behind him.

“We certainly made a pretty baby, didn’t we?”

“Amy. Last person I expected to see here.” John Ross does not turn to look at her.

“Our son invited me.”

“He is a good looking boy.”

“We going to be seeing more of you in D.C. now that Bo’s in the Senate?”

“It’s not official yet.”

“Your daddy would be proud. The two of you getting along so well.”

“My daddy was proud when I was seeing you. Doesn’t look like I’m all that concerned with his pride.”

“Lie to a lot of people John Ross, but I know you better than that. When I was gonna name our boy Marvin after my grandpa you begged me. Told me how proud your daddy would be to see John Ross Ewing the forth, for him to be the great grandson of Punk and Mavis Anderson and the grand nephew of Carlos DelSol. And you begged me to marry you. What were we married, day and half?”

“Something like that. And I never had to beg you darlin’.”

“That’s true. I embellish. We were kids weren’t we?”

“His age.”

“I could never say no to you.” Amy’s hand slides down his back and grabs up his butt.

In his bedroom in Haven Hill John Ross and Amy kiss, tearing off each other’s clothes while making their way to the bed.

Jack, in his tight riding breeches, is handed a trophy by a pretty girl who kisses his cheek.

In a bedroom at a cottage at Haven Hill, Jack and that girl kiss, tearing off each other’s clothes while making their way to the bed.

Bo takes to a platform outside the Capitol building. “We’ve been going round and round counting ballots. And they’re not gonna give up until they come out ahead. It’s that simple. So it’s time to be done with it. I call on Florida’s Secretary of State to do her job. Certify this election and let’s move on.” There’s a big cheer from the crowd.

John Ross and Amy get dressed. “What are you going to tell your son about missing his match?”

“I’m gonna blame you for fighting with me.” Amy turns to look at him. “You still pining over that Barnes girl?”

“Who’s that?”

“You never could lie to me worth a damn. You fell for her the moment you meet her, before you came after me.”

“And she went for Christopher.”

“Did you ever tell him when she was pretending to be Rebecca that you knew she was Pamela Barnes?”

“I tried. He wouldn’t listen. Said I was just trying to sabotage his relationship. Believed me when I took him to her daddy’s office.”

“For a smart guy, he was always pretty stupid.”

Jack gets out of bed with two girls and walks toward the bathroom. They watch his butt.

A young pretty girl walks into a tiny, dark apartment and is startled by Marcos sitting in a chair waiting for her. “Who are you? What do you want?”

“You know who I am and what I want.”

“Marcos Haddad.”

“See that wasn’t so hard. You’re very good at what you do.”

“Write?”

“Dig. You should be working for me.”

“Whitewater’s not exactly very patriotic. More a gun for hire for anybody with money.”

“Not just anybody.”

“You’re own military, or should I say the Ewing’s military?”

“I wouldn’t say to much, if I were you. We also do a lot of digging.”

“I bet you do.”

“With a great many on our payroll.”

“I’m sure.”

“Miss Tennyson, I think you’d be better off joining us then whatever it is you hope to accomplish by sticking your nose into the Ewing’s private affairs.”

“I can take care of myself. Thank you.”

“Your camera? They’re not as hidden as you think. Not nearly as hidden as mine are.”

She turns a bit pale.

In the elegant living room of Haven Hill John Ross serves up cocktails handing a scotch to Bo and gin and tonic to Robin. The kids come down stairs with Sue Ellen and into room next, a long room with a Wedgewood fireplace, a large bow window in the front and two French doors in the back. A beautiful thirty something blonde walks in from one of those sets of doors. Wearing sun dress which barely covers her bottom, John Ross claps his hands together, “What’ll it be sister dearest? Your usual?”

“Sure why not? It’s been a lovely day. The birds are chirping. There’s a crispness in the air. Tomorrow I’m off on a business trip. My brothers about to be sworn in the Senate. And my mother gave me one of grandma’s rings.” She twirls an enormous emerald-cut aquamarine-and-diamond ring.

Sue Ellen says, “It’s stunning. I remember Rebecca wearing it.”

Ellie admires it on her tiny hand. “And best of all she’s headed back to Switzerland.”

“Well she didn’t even stop in to say hello,” Sue Ellen adds with sarcasm.

She hands John Ross a box. “And she sent this from Christopher and Aunt Pam.”

John Ross reluctantly takes it, opens the small box and takes out small leather bound books and a note card. “She found these in a box of Christopher’s stuff but she says they’re actually mine. Whinny The Pooh.”

“Oh she bought those for you as a baby. She use to read them to you when you were just days old.”

Susanna says, “Grandma will you read them to us tonight?”

“Of course.”

Walking across the entry down a wide Hall Sue Ellen assures Robin there’s no hurry to find a house in D.C., there’s plenty of room at Haven Hill and that Susan will be close to her horse. She says she talked John Ross into putting Steven in the best school in Washington. “So, he’ll be here a lot too.”

“I don’t know. It’s a lot to ask, us all living in the same house.”

Bo says to John Ross, “She’s not gonna give up is she?”

“Of course not.”

“She’s got you spending more time here than in Texas. Especially with your sons here now.”

“Uncle Bobby’s driven everyone away from Southfork. Christopher’s in Switzerland with Aunt Pam. Ray and Lucas are in Kansas. Lucy’s in New York. Aunt Anne’s on England with Emma.”

“It’s a-shame. All the stories I’ve heard of everybody living there.”

“It is. But we’ve got bigger things to deal with.” John Ross pats Bo on the shoulder. “Like bringing down a President.”

On a cargo ship the middle of the ocean a helicopter lands. A group of Chinese businessman exit and walk towards Ellie standing next to Marcos. She says, “I’d like you to meet Marcos Haddad Ramos. An old family fiend. Marcos this is Long Dia and his associates. I went to school with Dia’s sister at Le Rosey.”

The two shake hands, “You’ll find everything to meet you needs. Old Soviet weapons but we’ve gone over everything with a fine tooth come. It’s all in perfect order. The question is how will you get it into China?”

“That’s easy enough. Through India and Tibet.”

Ellie adds, “There are three to four providences with enough hatred for the central government in China to help out.”

“Miss Wentworth knows my nation very well. And I’m well aware there’s no one better at sewing the seeds of discontent that she is.”

She speaks to him in Chinese, “A very high compliment. I am honored.”

A dinner party at Haven Hill. Sue Ellen introduces Bo to an older bohemian looking man. “This is Missouri Edwards. This is my son’s younger brother, Senator Bo Ewing.”

The two shake hands. “Not yet. We’re still fighting it out in court.”

“Please call me Michael. Your cousin Lucy just raves about you.”

“Well she raves about you as the greatest playwright since Shakespeare.”

“She does go on.”

Sue Ellen laughs, “I do think you captured her in your character Blanche Delaine.”

“Thank you. I warned her I wasn’t just her for the all the beautiful men she attracts. Though that was a bonus.”

John Ross approaches a tall, sour looking man. “Mr. President. Welcome to Haven Hill. Mr. Talbot. I swear you are the most beautiful woman on the Eastern Seaboard. Can I get either of you anything? Club sodas?”

“Yes please. It’s a beautiful place you have here,” the charming First Lady says in her heavily accented English.

“Thank you. My mother’s doing, really. I must introduce you. The two of you really have more in common than you could imagine.”

Jack walks up to a pretty blonde In a night club surrounded by her friends and filled with the beat of techno music. “Imagine finding you in Monaco at the same time.”

She turns and looks at him, stuttering, “Jack Ewing?”

“Why yes darlin’. And you’re Athena Talbot.”

“Oh yes. Yes I am.”

He kisses her hand. I’m in town for a polo match. It would be a great honor if you joined me.”

“Me. Oh yes. Yes that would be nice.”

Ellie walks through a private booth at a race track. “Tell Her No Lies.”

An older general man says. “You’ll loose your shirt on that be.”

“I never loose my shirt.”

The announcer says, “Tell Her No Lies is pulling up from behind. Oh my god. I can’t believe it. She’s fighting for the lead. Oh my god. She’s in the lead.”

“You’re pretty good that miss.”

“It’s just a matter of paying attention and looking them in the eye before the race. I can always spot hunger.”

“I’m ...”

“Let’s not pretend. You know who I am and I know who you are. You back losers. You try and pretend you know how to pick them and some how you know what’s best. A lot of bravado. But you know as well as I do what you are.”

“You’re a bold little girl.”

“You’re a usurper in a world you don’t belong. I can sell it on you.”

“Smell what?”

“Desperation.”

“You’re over your head Miss Wentworth. You’d go lame in this race.”

“See that’s were you go wrong. You think there’s a race. There’s no race. You lost before you left your momma’s womb.” She turns, pats his shoulder and leaves.

8. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    John Ross meets with President Talbot over shooting skeet at Haven Hill. “I want to thank you for your tax scheme. It’s going to allow Ewing Industries to bring home a few billion dollars.”

“Just a few?” the President asks.

“I’ll leave the details to my accountant.”

“I could use a favor from you in return.”

“Doesn’t hurt to ask.”

“You’re a damn good shot.”

“Well Mr. President my daddy use to say, always know what you’re shooting at, always aim to kill, never miss.”

“I need three more votes on my education bill.”

“That piece of shit? You’re only three votes short? I’ll be damned. Like you got some cult over these candy ass Congressman.”

“If Bo gets in, you get him to vote with me, and your friend Senator Brown, she’s been holding out on me. And you must have some influence over Senator Anderson in your home state.”

“We think for ourselves in Texas, Mr. President. I don’t see Marv or Judith buying into that hog shit you call legislation.”

“You’re not an expert on education Mr. Ewing, let’s leave the assessment to brighter minds.”

“You ain’t got a brighter mind on your team. Mind you the Democrats don’t have any answers either. Getting about fed up with the crap coming out of Washington for education reform.”

“I got a man from Michigan ...”

“Why nit just pick some partisan wonk from Texas? Why can’t you find someone from Massachusetts? How about South Korea, Finland?”

“That’s sort of comparing apples to oranges.”

“I’m talking results Mr. President. Basic skills. STEM course work. Bachelors degrees and income. You go around talking about getting back these labor jobs, which aren’t gonna happen. You need to tell these kids, stay in school, work your add off, because if you don’t well cut you loose like dead weight from a sinking ship. I’ll tell you what. I’ll give you your education bill, it’ll be your own undoing. Not like anything better’s gonna come out of Washington. You give me those fracking subsidiaries. Senator Hopson out of North Dakota has a bill. You pass it, we’ll talk.”

“I’ll have every environmentalist on my ass over that one. No. We need high oil prices to promote alternatives. Besides, what would Ewing Industries want with low oil prices?”

“Why are high oil prices so damned important to you?”

“Good for American business. Besides I’ve talked to the Saudis. They’re willing to help.”

“Bull. I want those fraking subsidies or you can kiss your education bill good bye.”

“This is to benefit Wentworth Tool and Die. A Ewing Industries subsidiary.”

“How about I tell you who’s bitch you are so we can stop pretending why you need high oil prices.”

“You’re not gonna like crossing me. I ain’t been made yet. But when I am.”

“My daddy use to say if you threaten a man it’s only because you don’t wanta have to do it. You won’t hear me threaten you. Get me those fraking subsidies Mr. President and we can play nice again.”

Bo rolls over in bed, apart from Missouri Edwards. Both sweating, out of breath, naked.

Robin meets in her office with two native tribal elders. “I’m sorry Chief Chambers, the foundation really has no sway with Ewing Industries. Yes it’s a significant share holding but that’s in trust controlled by my brother-in-law. There’s nothing I can do to fight the pipeline.”

“We’ve appreciates your great help over the years, school buildings, supplies. You’ve fixed a water filtration issue. We by no means wish to put your good works in jeopardy but you can see our issue, can’t you?”

“Of course I can. But neither me nor my husband have anything to do with the running of Ewing Industries. My brother-in-law doesn’t even run the day to day operations. He’s the non-executive chairman of the board. My sister-in-law does run the day to day operations of Ryland Transit, which includes a share of this pipeline project, but according to her she doesn’t control a stake large enough to shut it down. She always doesn’t want to. She’s shown me statistics which show shipping by truck is far more environmentally hazardous.”

“Not to our ground water.”

“But the equipment we’ve installed will monitor the situation.”

“For those hooked up to it but what about most of the houses using their own well? The thousands of acres of crops? What then when this pipe line leaks?”

“I’m sorry. I don’t have an answer.”

“We appreciate your hard work for us. You’ve helped a lot of people. I truly hope our protests don’t put an end to that.”

“I give you my word they won’t.”

John Ross sits on a park bench. The older man sitting behind him says, “There are worse things than death.”

“Yes there are,” John Ross responds. “You and your friends have my county by the balls and you’re about to find out what that is.”

“Well you’re family or your country Mr. Ewing.”

“I’m keeping both. And you’ll wish to God every night you hadn’t asked me to choose.”

The man stands. “Bold words.”

“Pain and the fear of pain. It controls each and everyone of us. Mental and physical pain.” John Ross stands and faces him.

“Let’s see who can inflict the the most.”

“And who is the most battle hardened.”

“And you think you are?”

“My father’s dead. My mother actually looked at me in a drunken stupor and said she hated me. My wife hasn’t spoken to me in countless years. And my sons . . . I’d kill you and every man woman and child on this planet if anything happened to them. So I’d suggest children, and grandchildren, are off limits.”

“That’s probably best.”

9. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +431
    [​IMG]
    Old man in the park.

10. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings: