Heavy comforters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mrs Emelee Newman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Mrs Emelee Newman

Mrs Emelee Newman Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,645
    I am considering buying a heavy comforter. There are those with chains sewn in, those with tiny balls and other kinds. They can weigh anything between 9 to 35 pounds.

For those of you that are going o_O, these bad boys are good for restlessness, adhd, anxiety, chronical pain and other conditions that can lead to sleep problems. But also - they are comforting.

Anyone have a heavy comforter??

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Well, I dunno 'bout all that...

But science says that even during the summer you should keep you feet thoroughly covered (and your hands) because as long as they stay warm, it permits your core to cool down and facilitates sleep.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I remember these things becoming fashionable in the early 80s. Didn't know they were still available.

[​IMG]o_O

4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    My cousin in North Carolina "re-gifted" a king-size down comforter to me, having decided it was too heavy. I was the only one she knew who also had a king-size bed. :) It's a good thing it was a freebie, because I ended up rarely if ever using it. It was not only heavy, but you ended up roasting under it, even if it was legitimately cold in the house.
    To quote Sophia Petrillo (speaking of her electric blanket), "It's on 9. On 10, you could cook a Lean Cuisine under here." Indeed, that comforter would have allowed you to survive in an igloo. Obviously I did not bring it with me when I moved to Florida, but it's packed away in case I ever move north again. Waaaaay north. Like...Greenland.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,033
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about and even reading your post a couple of times it didn't register.

Not until I saw Willie's picture did I realize you were talking about something to sit on. I thought what you were talking about boots for your feet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Yeah, I guess I totally misunderstood the meaning as well, since a comforter in the US is a fancy (or otherwise overdone) bedspread/quilt thing that you sleep under.
    :bag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,033
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Well, that confused me more and I was thinking how uncomfortable it would be to sit on something that makes you really hot and sweaty.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Don't knock it 'til you try it. [/laughs uproariously]

I know, I know...naughty me [/slaps hand]

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Mrs Emelee Newman

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,645
    Comforter was the word that came to mind. I should probably have written duvet instead??

Too many options come up when I type in "täcke" (the Swedish word) at different translation sites. That is a word that I don't really know how to translate.

The one I was referring to is the item you crawl under in bed at night, consisting of two large pieces of fabric sewn together, usually stuffed either with duck feathers or fibers. The one you often put a cover on, like a pillow case, but for this duvet/cover/comforter or whatever it's called.

[​IMG]

Which word is correct of the following:
    Cover
    Blanket
    Quilt
    Coat
    Comforter
    Covering
    Doona
    Mantle
    Sheet
    Duvet
    Coat

:confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mel O’Drama

Mel O’Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,826
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    I don't have a duvet with tiny balls or anything, but I suspect I may like it as I cannot sleep unless my lower half is somewhat weighed down with blankets.

I'd say "duvet", Emelee.

When I read the thread title I seriously thought it was relating to people who hug too much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,988
    Original Member Since:
    Havent any idea what you meant!

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,033
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    Growing up we always referred to them as "quilts" and now it's "duvet".

13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    That's heavy petting. :) Like others said, a duvet is rather plain and typically ends up in a "duvet cover" to dress it up, whereas a comforter/quilt/bedspread is designed to be used as is (just tossed over the bed).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Original Member Since:
    April 2002
    I thought these things had replaced the classic blanket + sheet (although I've never seen them on a hotel bed).

15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    These bedding companies seemed determined to sell us too much stuff for a simple bed.

The "bedspread" I grew up with typically was large enough to cover the bed and drape to the floor. Bedding companies developed comforters that go about half-way down the sides of the bed, just so they could sell you the "dust ruffle," which is also known as the "bedskirt" since it's basically a piece of cloth that skirts the bottom of the mattress and blocks dust from getting up under the bed. Duvets also have that "goes down half the side of the bed" look, demanding the dust ruffle--otherwise you see the bare mattress. Quilts, typically being hand-made, can vary in size and use.

Good rule of thumb: never, ever stay in contact with the hotel bedspread/comforter if you can help it. The first thing I do whenever I stay in a hotel is to strip the cover off the bed and put it on a chair or in the closet away from my clothes. Hotels routinely launder the sheets, but those spreads usually don't get cared for because they are either dry-clean only, or take up so much space in their machines that they get washed infrequently. Most chain hotels have phased them out (because of the unclean-ness) in favor of a colorful drape-like thing that goes over the foot of the bed that looks good but has no real purpose. It reminds me a bit of those old "sanitized for your protection" strips hotels used to put across freshly-cleaned toilets. Anyway, your life-pro-tip of the day: avoid the filthy hotel bedspread and just crank up the heat if you're chilly.

Don't even get me started on that germ factory known as the TV remote control. :eek:

16. Mel O’Drama

Mel O’Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,826
    Original Member Since:
    28th September 2008
    :D

Ah. Well, in that case I'd use "quilt" or "blanket" for the item that goes on as it is. But "duvet" for the one that has the cover on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mrs Emelee Newman

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,645
    Duvet it is then. Thanks for clearing it up.

Duvets with duvet covers have been standard Swedish bedding for at least 50 years. I've never slept with a sheet on top of me (together with a quilt, blanket or bedspread). It's always been either a duvet+duvet cover or only a duvet cover (for warm summer nights).

These heavy duvets that have become a thing lately are quite good, science say. And I like the idea of feeling embraced when I sleep. Not by another human, as I would still want to kick it or lay on top of it all night. So a duvet is a better idea. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    I love my duvet! :kiss: I just hate sleeping with just a sheet and a blanket! :hair:. Whenever I travel for longer periods of time, I always bring my duvet. If you put the duvet into an air tight bag of some sort, it's possible to "suck" out the air inside the duvet with a vacuum cleaner, thus temporarily shrinking the duvet into almost nothing (since the duvet has tons of light feathers inside)!

I've only heard positive things about the special heavy duvets that you (@Emelee) is probably talking about. Especially people with autism, ADHD, etc. seem to benefit! They seem to be able to handle their anxiety and stress about various things much better, when they are either strapped inside a tight vest or being tucked tightly under a heavy duvet.

When I was visiting my grandmother as a young child, I remember sleeping with her homelade and incredibly heavy duvets made from feathers from animals on the farm. I've never slept as good as when I was sleeping under one of her heavy duvets.

When I was 18, my grandmother passed away, and I asked if I could inherit her homemade duvets! The best thing ever! Unfortunately, some years later, I had to replace her old duvets with new ones, but I've never been able to find any quite as good as my grandmother's. :(

God luck with buying a heavy duvet, @Emelee! :) I think that some shops allow you to return it within 30 days or so, if you're not satisfied! ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,877
    Original Member Since:
    February 2005
    10.5 Tog... MAX

(even in Scotland) o_O

• Like Like x 1
  20. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +698
    Original Member Since:
    Feb 2007
    I need 13.5 Tog. Minimum. King size. Any lesser Tog ones get contorted, twisted into unusual shapes and thrown off the bed and across the room during the night, while I fall off the bed. Preferably 15 Tog Hungarian White Goose Down. I’m not fussy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)