Homeland

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Emelee, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    The 6th season begins on Sunday January 15.

Register or to view Spoiler content!

Basic plot of the upcoming season: Season 6 picks up several months after Carrie Mathison thwarted a terrorist attack in Berlin and is back in the U.S., living in Brooklyn. She has begun working at a foundation whose efforts are to provide aid to Muslims living in the U.S. In a real-life parallel, the sixth season will tackle the after effects of the U.S. presidential election, with the entire season taking place between election day and the inauguration. It’s a strange, transitional time in the halls of government filled with anxiety and competing interests, where a very fragile and complex transfer of power takes place between the outgoing president and the incoming president-elect.

Guest stars this season include Hill Harper (Limitless), Robert Knepper (Prison Break), Patrick Sabongui (The Flash) and Dominic Fumusa (Nurse Jackie).

• Like Like x 2
  2. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    This looks awesome. I can't wait for the new season to begin. But I will probably collect the episodes this time, I can't watch just 1 ep. per week, it's too hard!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    A bit of a lack lustre series for me and Carrie is quite annoying at times

Didnt like the ending, RIP Peter Quinn, you will be missed, still loving Saul and Dar Adal

I see Claire Danes is now an Exec producer, not a good thing in my book, (Larry Hagman and Power in Dallas as my example! - it went downhill)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    I liked most of the season with the conspiracy within. The season ending was heartbreaking.

But as long as Saul is still around.... he brings the heart to the show.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    oh I agree, he is such a charismatic actor, id love to see him on Broadway stage

Carrie /Claire over acts and hams it up at times, her chin trembling when looking at Quinns photos reminded me of eyes a rollin, lips a tremblin early Sue Ellen on Dallas lol

not quite sure what game madam president is playing at the end!

6. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +523
    I watched the whole season over the Easter weekend. Loved it all. I suspect this season plays better watching it all together rather than week by week. Danes was as mesmerising as ever. Carrie going through Quinn's pictures nearly killed me. A great pay off to the last 3 seasons which have been the show's best IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    this is the first season Ive watched in real time so to speak ie an epiosde a week
    I bought the box sets before and binge watched which i think i preferred with Homeland
    I see the box set isnt out here til ?? July according to Amazon

I still think its lacks something wthout Damien Lewis - have really enjoyed S1, 2, 4 and 5
    3 and 6 less so but will definitely watch S6 again - but as a binge watch

8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    I must say that I honestly don't miss Brody (Damien Lewis) one bit on Homeland. I don't think the show could have lasted successfully this long if they didn't move to different locations and brought in new cast members for one season only.
    Something about Homeland that feels like they only need Carrie and Saul - and guest appearances by people like Max and Dar Adal.

PS: Still annoyed that Mandy Patinkin wasn't Emmy nominated for season 4 (when Saul was kidnapped by terrorists and wanted to die).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    I bingewatched the sixth season last week and while it wasn't bad at all, I must say, I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two (but those were outstanding, so it's hard to come up with something like that again). It was just all a little bit too tedious at times and I didn't like the whole Franny stuff very much and I hated that fake news guy. The politics surrounding the new President and Iran/Israel was very interesting though and Mandy Patinkin was yet again incredible. He's by far the best part of the show.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    It's strange how Homeland seems to tell us that Carrie is a good mother. Cause from what I've seen, I don't think she is. She's far too egoistic and borderline sociopath. Obsessed with her work, and I don't know how many times by now that Franny has been in danger or shoved away to the nanny. :lol:

It would have been better if Carrie had given up the kid to her sister. Both for the kid - but also for the TV series.

11. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    Bought my box set at weekend
    Enjoying it more on 2nd watching
    but i know i wont like the ending!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    New season, same setting. The President seems like a real witch, I find myself suddenly rooting for O'Keefe the vlog guy. Or?

I better keep on rooting for Saul and Max. Too bad there's no Peter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    Im looking forwards to the start of this in UK although I dont know when it starts to be honest

I am so sorry Peter Quinn will not be in it, I really liked him. And didnt Saul end up in Prison at end of last series?

I hope Carrie is less annoying this season and less mouth a quivering, lips a tremblin school of acting

I could watch Mandy Patinkin read out of the phone book and love F Murray Abraham too

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    We get the new episodes 18 hours after they are broadcasted in the US. I love it. :D

I think and hope that Mandy Patinkin will be on until the series finale. Last season will be the one after this current one. He just seem too important to let go. It's him & Claire Danes.

15. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    Glad to see Homeland is back on C4 at 9pm tonight
    Will be nice to catch up with Carrie, Saul and co.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    Enjoyed the opener last night and OMG Linus Roache looks like a young Ken Barlow (UK soap) aka William Roache who is his dad in real life

This review from Daily telegraph

Much like the political career of Donald Trump, CIA thriller Homeland (Channel 4) appeared to be on a terminal trajectory until it pulled off a sudden resurrection. The turnaround began with the belated exit of Damian Lewis’s Nicholas Brody – a charming imposter whose ambivalent loyalties were a driving force early on but who soon became a conduit for ever more ludicrous storylines (turning triple agent, helping bump off the Vice President via dodgy pacemaker etc).

With Brody dispatched in series three, the focus has swung back towards Claire Danes’s Carrie Mathison, the CIA operative whose professional paranoia – in her line of work they really were all out to get her – was complicated by her bipolar disorder. Even without Brody she’s had a lively time of it, most recently saving newly-elected President Elizabeth Keane (Elizabeth Marvel) from assassination by radical right-wingers only for the Commander-in-Chief to go rogue and wrongly incarcerate 200 intelligence community employees for their non-part in the conspiracy.

Vindictive at the best of times, the President had shifted gear into full avenging angel as season seven got under way. It wasn’t, for instance, enough for General McClendon (Robert Knepper) to be sentenced to life imprisonment for his role in the plot. When a military court declined to impose the death penalty the Pres arranged for her Chief of Staff David Wellington (Linus Roache, last seen on this side of the Atlantic in Kate Brooke’s Bancroft) to have the General poisoned by toxic glove – we shall gloss over where the glove went before McClendon keeled over. If the episode had a political message it was that there are worst things a Commander-in-Chief can get up to than a Twitter tirade.

No longer with the CIA, Carrie was living in Washington DC with her sister and her sister’s annoying family and working from a distance to expose Keane as megalomaniac who had just cast off her training-wheels. For her opening gambit Carrie cultivated the conditional trust of a sympathetic senator (Dylan Baker), promising to deliver a CIA agent who would testify as to the innocence of the imprisoned suspects.

[​IMG]
    Elizabeth Marvel as Elizabeth Keane and Mandy Patinkin as Saul Berenson
    Actually the agent, an old pal from Mathison’s days in Kabul (Morgan Spector), had no intention of putting himself in the firing line, as he angrily explained after she’d hoodwinked him into a face-to-face with the senator. In a further snag, the meeting was taking place in the medical practice of Mathison’s unsuspecting sister – prompting her sibling to later wonder whether Carrie was off her medication again. Carrie insisted she was taking her meds – but do we believe her?

Among those behind bars was CIA honcho Saul Berenson (Mandy Patinkin). Somewhat improbably – Homeland has never placed a huge stock in plausibility – Chief of staff Wellington arrived to dangle before Berenson the job of National Security Advisor. Relatively upstanding by the standards of the show, Saul refused to consider the offer without the release of his incarcerated colleagues. A further layer of intrigue came courtesy of Jake Weber as Alex Jones-esque conspiracy theorist Brett O’Keefe, whose assertion that the President was a dictator-in-the-making hinted at a potential alliance with Carrie.

From the outset O’Keefe, along with everyone else, was dashing about flaring their nostrils and declaiming melodramatically. Danes, especially, remains the doyen of exquisitely pitched over-embellishment. Were this any other prestige drama, the episode would thus have rated as horribly overwrought. Homeland fans, though, will have been gripped by a warm, fuzzy sensation as their favourite spy caper confirmed it has lost none of its manic momentum. After seven seasons, Showtime has refined the art of bringing us just the right sort of bonkers.

It was, moreover, a welcome break from the brutalising inanity of real-life American politics. Refractions of Trump’s combative persona could – if you looked really closely – be gleaned in Keane’s single-mindedness. Yet, however unsympathetic a figure she cut, her frosty demeanour was too far removed from Trump’s human volcano deportment to qualify as a genuine critique. Homeland season seven bad is mad and bad. But, existing, in its own airtight universe, it also offers what some viewers might regard as much-needed escapism from the Washington we see on the news each night.

17. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    Just two scenes into the latest episode of Homeland and the motivations of two of its main characters are notched down to what viewers are essentially told is a transcendental calling, an antidote to last week's concerns surrounding the integrity of Claire Danes' lead character.

First up, there’s Brett O’Keefe (Jake Weber) who opens the episode with an address to his followers in which he brands President Keane “Hitler in the White House” following the suspicious death of General McClendon at the climax of the season 7 premiere. For the first time since he was introduced, this character becomes the source of an episode's success with Weber being handed more to do than just unbearably bark his way through the running time. Forced on the run, he finds himself among a ragtag bunch of “gun-toting crazies” who rather terrifyingly have his face inked on their arms. Later, he’s led to their firing range in which they use posters of Keane as target practice. "That's hilarious," he exclaims.

He doesn't find it hilarious at all. In a matter of scenes, we see O’Keefe's silent concern sparked as he meets the formerly faceless crowd he addresses, his ignorance of the situation placing him in increasing danger - not least because he’s officially considered a wanted terrorist by the Keane administration. The danger he’s cooked up without realising is clearly going to shape the season ahead no doubt numbering his days in the process - something that's spelled out in a series of interactions which reek of foreshadowing: "The great defender of the second amendment never fired a gun in his life,” his girlfriend teases, all but confirming he will likely fire one at Keane in a future episode.

[​IMG]

The glaring problem with Homeland season 7 - review

Then there’s Carrie (Claire Danes) who, after being told by her therapist (Sandrine Holt) that her lithium medication is probably now redundant, becomes silently concerned that maybe - just maybe - her sister is correct and she's losing control. The moment in which she discovers Saul (Mandy Patinkin) has been carted out of prison and directly onto television as Keane’s National Security Advisor in a matter of hours (and you thought your life was exciting?) has all the hallmarks of conspiracy that this series should embrace. It will no doubt lead to an enticing showdown between her and her mentor - always the most beguiling relationship in this series - but just don't go expecting it soon; Homeland has more sense than to unleash that card early on.

But for now, Danes - who once got to act out scripts which saw her preventing terrorist attacks in Islamabad - must settle on performing stripteases in front of laptops. As Carrie finds herself losing grip in the middle of a head-scratching yet admittedly entertaining hacking subplot, it becomes clearer with every passing minute that Homeland is now full-blown the kind of ridiculous series which will end an episode with its central character almost murdering lecherous hackers in abandoned warehouses in plots that don't seem to have any bearing on the overarching story.

The sooner you become comfortable with the fact, the sooner Homeland becomes more watchable than ever. Buckle yourself in.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...claire-danes-saul-keane-spoiler-a8217756.html

• Like Like x 1
  18. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    [​IMG]

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...and-recap-season-seven-episode-three-standoff

It’s safe to say I’m not as risk-averse as I should be’
    Carrie shows up at Dr Meyer’s office in a desperate state and together they make the decision to switch medications. It’s a risky, lengthy process that begins with taking Seroquel to break the manic cycle. The sedative takes her out of commission before she is roughly dragged back in by Dante who has ID’d the mystery woman from Wellington’s home. French NGO worker Simone Martin can be placed just three miles from the West Virginia prison where McClendon was held, the day before he was killed. You don’t have to be Alex Jones to think that’s significant.

[​IMG]

Saul always thinks people can be reasoned with. It’s his biggest strength and biggest weakness. He can talk amicably with O’Keefe, discuss his terms of surrender and feel like he’s making progress. There are women and children in the compound after all. The problem is that O’Keefe’s protectors are not big on reason. They use the distraction of the negotiations to muscle up and soon there’s an ever-growing hick militia facing down an ever-more pissed off FBI. He narrowly avoids being taken hostage and the humiliating failure of his strategy pushes us closer to another Waco. All of a sudden Saul looks like he misses his prison cell. As for O’Keefe, he has the look of a man who can’t fire a gun surrounded by lunatic fringe marksmen who only take orders from God.

‘I am not gonna blow up a convoy in Syria in order to control the news cycle’
    By now we’re so familiar with President Keane the tyrant, scourge of the intelligence community and serial human rights abuser that we quickly forget that she ran on a liberal anti-war ticket. Her generals certainly seem to have as they try to strong-arm her into bombing an arms shipment from Iran heading to bolster Assad’s troops in Syria. She firmly reminds them of her position. Don’t they remember what happened to the last general who played with her? The convoy will not be bombed.

David Wellington has other ideas, though. In a bizarre overreach, he phones General Rossen and lies that Elizabeth has changed her mind, giving the go-ahead for the attack. I can’t wait to see him try and mansplain that one next week. I don’t see his vacuous nonsense about “changing the conversation” cutting it.

Trying to figure out what David Wellington is up to is a tough one. He pushed for the 200 to be released and suggested that O’Keefe should be released without charge, but there’s generally a practical reason behind his stances. Undermining the president over the convoy suggests a darker motive as he’s nothing if not calculated. Factor in whatever he’s got going on with Simone Martin and you’ve got a deeply shady character at the heart of the Keane administration.

19. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,146
    I see the actor Fredric Lehne who plays General Rosser was in s7 Dallas as Eddie - boyfriend of Lucy

I really had to go back and look at him again as I didnt recognise him but i guess it was over 30 years ago!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    Finally watched s7e4. That ending... oh boy. Not sad that the dog-murdering FBI agent got killed or the gun-happy village idiots. But how it all ended will sure boost more conflict.

I feel bad for Max. "Do this, lend me this, shut up and do as told". It's time for Max to get a big win.

Curious to see who will turn out to be the protagonist between Keane, O'Keif

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)