1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. SoapLand The Final Battle

How Will It End?

Dismiss Notice

Homosexuality

Discussion in 'US Politics' started by Emelee, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,877
    Medals:
    The Catholic Church teaches us that homosexual acts are morally evil. Still - in 2017.

"Every human being is called to receive a gift of divine sonship, to become a child of God by grace. However, to receive this gift, we must reject sin, including homosexual behavior—that is, acts intended to arouse or stimulate a sexual response regarding a person of the same sex. The Catholic Church teaches that such acts are always violations of divine and natural law.
    Homosexual desires, however, are not in themselves sinful. People are subject to a wide variety of sinful desires over which they have little direct control, but these do not become sinful until a person acts upon them, either by acting out the desire or by encouraging the desire and deliberately engaging in fantasies about acting it out. People tempted by homosexual desires, like people tempted by improper heterosexual desires, are not sinning until they act upon those desires in some manner."

I am happy that many politicians feel very very differently about this manner!!!! Many countries allow same-sex marriage and adoption. Many have laws against discriminating against sexual orientation.

This week is the annual Stockholm Pride - and I feel that we ought to celebrate how far some have come, but also address how many are still trying to go backwards!!

The Church of Sweden is Evangelical Lutheran, where there is no official view on homosexuality for all churches. Each seem to decide for themselves. Church of Sweden has decided on a liberal stance. They allow same-sex marriages and female bishops etc (which is why our primate archbishop is a woman).

Here is our Prime Minister Stefan Löfven with Minister for Foreign Affairs Margot Wallström (in the middle) and ex-minister Carin Jämtin in the Pride parade, showing the State's support.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Star EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    Because of the Bible, which is incapable of changing with the times. Most protestant churches still teach that homosexuality is a sin for the same reason.

Of course, the Bible is a contradiction of both atrocities and decency. Christians have a habit of cherry picking the selections that suit their agenda, while ignoring everything else.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20,146
    I don't!

Maybe some, or even most do, but not every Christian.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Star EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    Medals:
    There are exceptions to every rule, of course. The judgmental cherry pickers are obviously the most vocal, while ignoring their own shortcomings.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20,146
    Yes and there are probably plenty of silent ones who imply they are okay with each other, but secretly vote against in the privacy of their own home.

I don't deny hating on Christians who try to use the Bible to their own advantage, but I do feel sorry for many of them who won't openly discuss their own shortcomings while at the same time judging others.

I've never understood anyone who refuses to accept change. Then I start to wonder why some Christians were happy to ignore the old testament and move onto the new testament, yet they think the book stops there. I usually come to the conclusion that it's more about them than the faith.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
    It's Belfast Pride on Saturday :)

I know many 'Christians' who are among the most hypocritical, nasty and judgmental people I've ever met. There are those Christians, and then there are Christians who I believe live the way Christ intended. And I do believe Jesus would want people to live and let live - despite the ramblings of the Old Testament.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    So...why doesn't anyone write a sequel? As long as there's no third Testament it cannot be implemented.
    Maybe I should give it a try...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    The very fact that most people think "sex" when they hear the words "morality" or "immorality" says a lot about our twisted values. Most religions seem to have this problem -- but when I hear the word "immorality" I never even think of sex.

There are so many horrible things people do to each other, and yet we're supposed to consider sex and sexual behavior above all those things as the ultimate barometer for morality and human decency?

So it's no surprise that homosexuality is at the very top of the "the devil made you do it!" pyramid, the ultimate in sinful abomination that means so little that Jesus and the New Testament didn't give enough of a crap about it to even refer to it. The references to homosexuality are in the gnarly Old Testament beside a bunch of stuff even the most rabid fundamentalists don't follow, don't read, and usually don't even know is there.

But no wonder. Most people absorb at least a little homophobia through the culture, but the politicians and religious figures who get way too caught up in the topic always wind up busted with too wide a stance at Stapleton International.

Homosexuality, especially male homosexuality, is and has always been a huge issue in society which goes beyond religious and cultural disapproval as it effects the individual. And the lines between gay and straight are not always as clearly defined as we've tended to think -- and that creates weird problems for a lot of people which reverberate outward. (Even that sounds kinda pervy).

And, let's face, not one but two testosterone units all bangin' around just makes people crazy.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,877
    Medals:
    I like some of the teachings that Jesus is said to have taught. Above all, he was a good samaritan and stood for love and compassion. At least, to my understanding he did.
    I believe that Jesus would have changed with the times if he had lived today. He would have embraced homosexuals AND them having sex. But he would not have stood for bullying, judgemental people, harrassment and treating some people as though they are better than others. At least, not the Jesus that I picture.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,856
    Medals:
    Sure. Which is why they killed him. And of course they'd do it again.

11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Mega Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,765
    Didn't Joseph Smith already do that?

12. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,962
    About a decade ago, I used to do business with a couple of deeply religious, blatantly homophobic brothers, in their late 30s at the time, who happened to be Hungarian (one of the most conservative right-wing nations here in Europe).

One was a Catholic, the other a Jehovah's Witness. The latter was particularly devout in his religion, attending regular Bible readings, not celebrating Christmas, anxiously awaiting Jesus' return and the end of the world.

I wouldn't be surprised if they never realized I myself was gay, or as they preferred to say with disapproval "a homosexual". I never told them, because they never asked, but I never lied about being straight, either.

Gay marriage was a particularly hot-button issue at the time and they made sure they voiced their opinions, generously sprinkled with their tragically misguided belief of their own moral superiority.

One day, following another one of his rants and an awkward silence, having failed to elicit approval on my part, the Jehovah's Witness suddenly reflected upon himself and said: "I don't know why I focus so much on homosexuals," again possibly looking for approval and understanding.

"I don't know, either. Why do you?" I asked instead, ramping up fake bafflement and struggle to understand. That simple question really got him. He started stuttering, all red in his face, as if thoroughly embarrassed by a possibility of him being actually fascinated by gay sex may have crossed my mind. Hilarious.

Perhaps he should've been more concerned with his own family, then sticking his nose into other people's business, thinking he should force others to adopt what he considered to be the ultimate recipe for life (boy, did he try to get me to attend those readings or what).

When I lost touch with him and his brother, his wife - another "fine Christian woman," who had expressed similar moral grandstanding with respect to homosexuality - just cheated on him with another man, a younger and more handsome one, and only admitted to it and left him, divorced him, and took away their children and half his money when it became obvious she was pregnant, leaving him all alone in a new mansion he had built for them.

I suppose karma really is a bitch.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +24,237
    Medals:
    Wasn't that a spin-off...I'm not sure:think:

14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,529
    Medals:
    The Bible is a book for all times, it's the interpretation of Bible that changes. I'm a Christian and I don't believe the Bible describes "homosexual behaviour" as being sinful. Throughout history, people have distorted what the Bible actually says on gay people, which is practically nothing, to support their own homophobic agendas. Ultimately, as Christians we are told to love one another, not to love one another excluding gays.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
    I don't want to know any other sort of Jesus who condemns people when he says we should all love each other. Unless it's Hitler. Always condemn Hitler.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +20,146
    Which is the question one would ask Christians who are targeting groups because they don't agree with them.

Would Jesus condemn a gay man?
    Would Jesus be happy with the way you are treating the LGBT community?

How would they answer that?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
    I think they'd probably just quote the Old Testament at us @Ome - their answer to everything.

I know THREE people who profess to be Christians, 2 of them are ministers and they're well...how do I put this? Dicks.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
    Actually, you know what I've just realised?? They are actually ALL ministers!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does that tell you?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 21 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12,529
    Medals:
    They would struggle to find a passage of the Old Testament that supports them. The Old Testamemt doesn't even mention homosexuality.

I know many Christians, some are dicks but most are the nicest, most decent, most compassionate people I know. I also know many atheists and agnostics: some are dicks and some are very good people.

20. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +7,177
    Medals:
    I just find the fact that the three priests I know to be nasty, patronising, judgemental, HORRIBLE people. Which is odd considering their profession.