How about a Dallas Remake

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Let's say that the CW decided to remake Dallas. How would you go about it? It could be a spin off of the new Dynasty. Alexis flies to Dallas. As her plane arrives past the skyline, the iconic theme plays, and she steps off the terminal in one of Barbara Carrera's outfits as Angelica Nero. She shows up in J.R.'s office, revealing they shared a past, and asks for a favor. They make love on the desk and swipe off everything. At the same time, Bobby and Pam enter the state and contemplate the consequences of their recent element.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,371
    Medals:
    I thought the last Dallas reboot was awful so I hope they leave the original series as it is, a fond memory with fans, and not tarnish it further with a sub-standard remake.

However, if they must do another Dallas series, I would much rather see a series written as a sequel to the Dallas: The Early Years TV film, focussing on the early years of Jock, Ellie and Digger after Ewing Oil was founded.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,052
    Medals:
    Dallas is an 80s soap and belongs in the 80s, it came around at the right time and had a great cast, storylines and represented the 1980s

totally agree with all that @Angela Channing has said re the dismal TNT version and I do not want my memories of the show tarnished further. They did enough damage to it

Happy for a Dallas The early years set in the 1930-50s tho

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,745
    Medals:
    I definitely don't want a remake in style with the Dynasty reboot. I am still disappointed that they didn't go with the prequel focusing on Alexis & Blake's marriage so I am not even watching the new show. :(

Then as for Dallas. I would prefer a continuation picking up from where Dallas TNT left off but with a new show runner. ;)
    The first episode makes clear that Christopher is alive and never died in the explosion.

My second option would be a prequel series focusing on the years between the Early Years movie and the show. I am talking about a show set in the late 50s or 1960s running up to early 1970s. If they do the late 1960s version it would allow us to see how JR/SE met. If it would be set earlier 60s we could see how Gary and Val met and had Lucy. Also Bobby's romance with Jenna. I would be down for meeting a younger version of my favorite characters. But I want JR, Gary and Bobby to be a part of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,431
    Medals:
    A short and concise answer - definitely not.

The original cannot be improved upon - leave it untarnished.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I'm too confused by this post to even respond.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I feel there needs to be a reason to do a reboot, a vision of the reboot creator. When Donald R. Moore (who was familiar with the sci-fi genre from Star Trek: TNG) decided to reboot "Battlestar Galactica," it was because he found the original premise of human genocide deserving a more serious treatment than the Disney version of Glen A. Larson.
    So, you need certain elements: someone familiar with the genre (prime time soaps in this case), and someone who wants to do something with the premise--here, the Dallas saga, that is different from the original--or else why bother? Over at the CW, the peach Dynasty execs (and Shapiro) thought turning a couple of characters Hispanic and Black was the ground-breaking recipe: hardly, when the original already had created unique characters (first gay male, first black bitch). I think if there is someone who knows Dallas well enough to re-fashion it in a new way, then maybe it would be worth doing and watching.
    Frankly, the only alternate plot that I can think of right now, is one where a reboot is undone: Bobby stays dead and Pam fights J.R. for both the company and the family--like the original idea David Jacobs had. I am not saying it is one that will turn out great, but it is the road not taken after the awful shower actually rebooted the reality of the series and made it unreal.

And with a multi-million penalty clause against Cidre even going near a script.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,220
    Medals:
    THE RYLANDS would be nice.

9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Despite all this I don't think I'd have the heart to watch it. I'd feel like I'm dishonouring the memory of Jim, Barbara Bel Geddes, Larry, Linda, Patrick, Victoria etc, etc. There would also be the small problem of comparing the reboot against the original, it's human nature, we couldn't resist the pull to criticize. That said, I suppose I couldn't help myself and take a peek, another human weakness.

Would the reboot consist of Southfork? Can the audience accept the entire Ewing family residing there in 2019 like we did in 1978? That was the great success of the original. The ranch became as big a character as Ewing Oil. I'm sure many asked how did that family all live under the same roof with 1 bathroom to share but somehow it worked. I suspect viewers were prepared to suspend that opinion and sit back and enjoy the banter between the Ewing family with pre-dinner drinks. In 2019 would we accept a new mansion? The Ewing home would need to be jaw-dropping beautiful, over the top perhaps.

Mansion.jpg
    Would we still require a working ranch? Personally I'd still like to see the Ewing family ranching because I'd like the reboot to mimic the original in that regard. Instead of having the ranch foreman Ray we could have a female version named Rae. We don't necessarily have to copy the original in every aspect. I'd also have Sue Ellen and JR have a daughter several years old already but JR is pushing Sue Ellen for another child and hopefully a son. I'd also change the role of Pam. I'd have Bobby arrive home late one evening and sneak in his new bride.

The next morning when everyone is chowing down on their cornflakes Bobby announces while in New York for the last few months he met a woman and they married. Jock is thrilled and so is Miss Ellie, JR?, not so much as his first thought is, could another heir be on the cards already? But when Miss Ellie enquires about the bride Bobby informs the family they arrived home late the night before so she is upstairs readying herself and should be down shortly. That's when we hear footsteps coming down the stairs. The family all turn and look up. Bobby says, "Daddy, momma. I'd like you to meet Pamela and her son Michael, though he likes to be called Mickey. The family is slightly taken aback. Not just meeting Pam and Mickey for the first time but they are African American.

If we're going to do a reboot let's really mix it up. I'd also wish for a reboot to have a dark undertone to it. I don't want people enjoy that love to hate relationship with JR. I want people to watch because this version will be unlike the original. I want the new JR to be a turd. Vengeful, powerful, cruel, manipulative. He is so intoxicating viewers will migrate to the reboot to see how bad the bastard can get. And I don't really wish for the other characters to know how evil he is, they just know he is not to be messed with.

Anyway that would be my attempt at some kind of reboot. Some may like it, others won't. It certainly wouldn't be anything like that other current reboot ;)

10. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,695
    I like the JR and Angelica making love on the desk part.

For a third opening segment, I'd suggest a silver-haired cowboy twirling a rope with cattle ranch sounds in the background. The camera pans back to reveal it's Ray who has lassoed Lucy and they're making love on the back of a horse as it gallops around Two Stick Pasture.

11. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Medals:
    The look on their faces about such an idea says it all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Medals:
    But only if it's helmed by someone unfamiliar with their character traits and backstory, and who insists on making them the peripheral characters. And Emma should be killed off early.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    I really want to see the comeback of THIS...

[​IMG]

16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

"Oh dear Soap Gods, don´t let me take my
    hatpin and go after the O.P. Amen."​

17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    upload_2019-1-9_19-40-11.png

"It´s too late, OP, it´s too late...RIP Ray_Krebbs!!"​

18. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    Maybe if "Falcon Crest" has been remade in Turkey (sic), they also could remake "Dallas" there (and not export it, thank you). I´ve always wanted to watch a version of "Knots Landing" remade in Sweden, and I'm not kidding. It would be going full circle, if Jacobs got his inspiration through Ingmar Bergman, maybe TV writers up there in @Karin Schill & @Emelee ´s country could teach US a couple of lessons of how to make a good modern soap.

• Creative Creative x 2
  19. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,220
    Medals:
    Yeah! How about J.R. Ewing's daughter, also played by Emma Bell:dance:

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Medals:
    Why not? It would certainly work in that universe.