How do you grocery shop?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Emelee, May 18, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    If you do..... how do you normally buy groceries?

Do you shop in a grocery store or do you order groceries online?

If you go to a store, do you have one that you prefer or do you go to different ones deoending on mood or good offers?

Do you stand in line at the checkout or do you use the self-checkout service?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,535
    I go to the same store for most of my groceries. It's very close and they have everything I need. I go early on the days I'm not working to avoid the crowds.

I've been about 50/50 on the checkout line and self-checkout. If there is a line for the checkout I'll do the self-checkout.

BTW, I bring my own canvas bags. No paper or plastic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,035
    I tend to alternate between Tesco and Sainsburys - and I also make a habit of doing on-line surveys following purchases. It paid off last week when I won a £500 gift card from Sainsburys.

I use self-service checkouts the vast majority of the time.

Swami

4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,818
    I buy my grocery shopping in Marks and Spencer's, Sainsburys and Asda

I never grocery shop on line and I rake to the back of the shelves to get the best sell buy date

I generally never buy meat or chicken from Asda, that's more for juice , crisps, sweets etc

Dont live near a Tesco and think Waitrose is over priced and rather buy most of my stuff in M&S, good quality and little waste

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,090
    Usually Tesco because that's what is nearest to us. Although sometimes Asda and Sainsburys. I think that Sainsburys can be a little more expensive and there isn't really any noticeable difference in the quality so I don't go there often. We sometimes also get fresh bread and fruit and veg from Lidl.

Christmas food shopping is always between Tesco and Asda as Asda closest to us is open 24 hours. We usually go a day or two before Christmas eve, but really late at night.

6. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I also buy my grocery shopping in supermarks, i never would buy them online, because i wanne check out most products myself. Especially vegetables and fruit, I am very picky in taking what I wanne buy, and the supermarket is only 5 minute walk from my house.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    The Publix supermarket chain has a stranglehold on the state of Florida, so I end up there a lot more than I would like. I was accustomed to a lot more supermarket competition back in Georgia, which resulted in lower prices on virtually everything. There are a few options other than Publix--such as Winn-Dixie, Aldi, and specialty stores like The Fresh Market and supercenters like WalMart--but there are literally seven Publix stores within five minutes of my house. They multiply like Starbucks. :eek:

I love self-check registers. If the store offers them, I will gravitate to them. I can get out quicker, and I know the bread won't end up underneath the canned goods. I'm also not the type to buy huge loads of groceries when I shop, so the self-check is better suited to my 5-10 items.

The very idea of buying groceries online puzzles me. I know I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. I see these people in the produce section tearing apart displays of apples, grapes, and other fruits, examining every single piece before they put a single item in their cart. They can take 10-15 minutes to choose "the best" head of lettuce. They give the butcher an ulcer by fussing over every pork chop in the case, and complaining about the tiny bits of fat that haven't been cut off the steak. The idea of some stranger randomly grabbing things (not caring about the condition) to compile their shopping list would cause their heads to explode. Perhaps it would work with mass-production items like cans of soup or boxes of cereal, but I can't imagine the order-pullers would do as good a job choosing perishables as the consumer would.

8. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,818
    PS
    I go to the self service check out and i always use reusable bags
    I like to go at my own pace when packing my bags

Im also a sucker for deals 3 for 2, 2 for £4. etc and i like loyalty cards/bank cards that convert to vouchers every 3 months like M & S

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,347
    I used to go supermarket shopping every week, but in the last couple of years just get a full online shop from Waitrose once every month or so. In between I'll top up with smaller orders from Co-op and Waitrose. Sometimes Marks. And some bits from Lidl or Aldi. Very occasionally these days I'll do a supermarket shop somewhere like Asda or Sainsbury's.

At Waitrose I use the self-scan as I go, so just have to scan with the machine at the end which saves queueing.

For smaller supermarket orders I'll use the self-checkout, though that can still involve queueing. It just means one stands in a different queue. On the now rare occasions I get a larger supermarket shop I'll queue for a cashier.

Same here.

10. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    I have 3 grocery stores close to me (walking distance), so I alternate between them. I prefer one over the other two though, but sometimes they have better deals at the others. And only 1 of these 3 supermarkets have a package delivery service where all my ordered packages arrives to (unless they are small enough for the postman to deliver, of courses).

I use the self-service checkout a lot, but not always. If there aren't many people in the store, I can stand in line for that minute or those seconds.

I have never ordered groceries online, and I don't see myself doing that unless I was forced to. I rather like walking around in grocery stores or supermarkets.

I have tote bags especially for groceries that I try to bring with me - but I can seldom remember to put them back in my handbag after unpacking my groceries. :re:

11. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    I love walking around with the scanner in the store, scanning the items as I put them down in my bag. You get messages with offers (like "buy two of these and save 3 bucks") and you can see on the screen how much everything you have scanned so far will cost you. I love that there is no surprise when you stand at the checkout with your Master Card to pay.

12. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,188
    I never do online grocery shopping because I like to see the eyes of fish before I buy them to see how fresh they are, I need to see how much fat is on meat before I hand over my money and I like to gently squeeze my plums to see how ripe they are before making a purchase.

I shop almost every day because I don't like keeping food in my house unnecessarily: that way I cut down on waste and I'm not tempted to eat stuff just because it's there in the fridge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,347

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,967
    But it's been touched by so many people...
    Maybe I should use one and scan a hot guy "oh I'm sorry, I thought you were an item".
    upload_2018-5-19_11-32-22.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    Afraid of germs?
    I'm not. At least not over here...

16. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    I see all these people furiously scrubbing down every inch of their shopping cart with those little alcohol wipes and I have to wonder if they really think these things through. Those reusable bags they carry typically have more germs living in them than anything in/on that cart.

17. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I choose my groceries like I choose my women.

Fresh, with a discount and delivered to my door.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 2)