How does the FC mansion compare to Dallas and Dynasty?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Gioberti84, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    How does the FC mansion compare for you, to the mansions in Dallas and Dynasty? I prefer the Victorian house with all those vineyards around it and the fact the interior set closely resembled the real Villa Miravalle was appealing. Southfork is spectacular with the working ranch and FILOLI from Dynasty is a regal splendid masterpiece but the FC mansion would still be my choice.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    IMHO each of the mansions suited their respective shows impeccably. Southfork wasn’t particularly well decorated inside (at least in the early years) and looked far better from the outside. However it is still some spot. The Carrington mansion in DYNASTY just took grandeur to another level. It is a place where you could picture the super rich residing. The Victorian Villa Miravalle used in FALCON CREST was and still is a fine piece of architecture. Three levels of ‘gothicness’ among all the vines you would ever need made it quite a draw for fans of the Tuscany Valley series.

Lance returns to the mansion, after a night courting Terri, (a scene from season 4, 1984-‘85):

Angela appears from the dining room and says, “Morning Lance!”

Lance: “Incase you were wondering I was out all night.”

Angela: “Oh! Well you missed breakfast.”

Lance: “I was with Terri.”

Angela: “Well I don’t see anything wrong with that. She’s young and she’s a widow.”

Lance: “A wealthy widow. Right grandmother…..?”

Angela: “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Lance: “With acres of vineyards you’d love to get your hands on.”

Angela opening her mail says, “Well Chase & Maggie are giving a party in the winery. Uh that’s outrageous, so close to the tragedy. I won’t be going of course.”

Angela gives Lance the invite.

Lance: “Mrs. Channing regrets.”

Angela: “I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t go. Terri will be there.”

Lance: “Terri & I don’t need excuses to see each other.”

Angela: “I know that & half of Tuscany knows that. Now I think your little arrangement will be more dignified if you were seen together in public.”

Lance: “You’re not using me to get at her vineyards.”

Angela: “Oh I’m thinking far beyond that. She’s young, she’s beautiful, healthy and one of these days you’re gonna need an heir.”

Lance: “How long do you plan on shoving me into miserable marriages?”

Angela: “Until you get it right!”

• Like Like x 6
  3. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +591
    I liked the gothic architecture of FC too and it's imposing aspect. Of course the spooky element went hand in hand with the show's style perfectly.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,324
    I find the Gioberti place very "California", but Angela's house looks more like an Australian mansion.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    I've often said that when one thing significantly slides on a show, pretty much everything else does, too. And that goes for the sense of location as well, including the houses.

I agree with what's been said about the '80s nighttime soap houses being just right for their respective shows, but the feeling of the family being in those houses really deteriorated in keeping with the bizarre crash of that genre by midway through the decade, when nearly all of them lost a sense of their own identities (except for KNOTS).

The Filoli estate is quite impressive in productions like HEAVEN CAN WAIT or AN INCONVENIENT WOMAN or the pilot of DYNASTY (the jury's out on GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE) but then those actually filmed there. DYNASTY can't be blamed for their studio set reproductions not being quite as fabulous, but the flat lighting and banal "rich" decor of the mansion interiors on DYNASTY followed the unavoidably bourgeois mindset of most of the series.

There was very little flavor of the house on DYNASTY, regrettably, consistent with the show's very little sense of 'real wealth', despite the promise of it and the obvious sequins.

DALLAS was much different. Southfork was never palatial but the Texan ambiance worked nicely, that white, clapboard ranch house with all the gables which made the structure look bigger than it was. Early on, there was a trailor park crassness to Southfork, but that seemed to fit the rednecks-made-good mentality of the '70s version of the Ewings. And as the show grew and matured, the feeling of being at Southfork became increasingly three-dimensional. I define 1983 as the year DALLAS achieved its creative peak, and, likewise, the house and its trappings never seemed so real (enhanced by Bradford May's naturalistic photography which kicked that fall).

But as the series aged and began refusing to grow, we're reminded that these walls are just studio sets and every Southfork room becomes increasingly as beige as the Carrington mansion's rooms were white.

I've had dreams for years about the foyer at Falcon Crest and I don't know why. But the three season which were the series' best -- the first three, in my opinion -- the house was like a character in the series, mysterious and shadowed and gothic and slightly creepy. And what it lacked in size horizontally, one assumes it makes up for with things in the attic and the cellar which might go bump in the night. Even if that's really just Lance.

But as FALCON CREST, too, began to quickly lose its identity midway through its run, so does the house, as everything is turned '80s pastel and airy (with Lorimar's blurry new post-production process not helping one bit) and starts to look and feel like the daytime soap the program's turned into.

The '80s wealth-based nightime serial was probably my favorite genre, limited in number though they were. So it was painful to see these shows, so well-cast with such good locations and strong personalities initially, reduced so quickly to mindless dreck. And the feel of their houses kind of followed suit.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    The interiors of the real house:

• Like Like x 6
  7. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +487
    What a brill video.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    It has a nice echo-y quality in the foyer. I wonder if they should have placed some reverb on the scenes in the mansion lobby, just for effect.

I've often thought they should have slapped some reverb on the DYNASTY scenes in the main hallway (especially the first hallway scene between Krystle and Blake in the pilot which had to be looped anyway). Sound can be incredibly effective, and a little reverb can create the feeling of size so well.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Gioberti84

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Great to watch this video and a reminder of why Falcon Crest should have remained like the early years.
    I particularly liked the wine, as you enter the house. Angela's study is lovely in this video. I could almost cry.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Class stuff altogether! I was just waiting for Angela to be there in the hallway. I'm sure the tourists had a blast.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    Oh, I don't know. The more I think about, the more all those old houses just seemed so phony.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,324
    Ooooh! A mini-Falcon Crest! I want it!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Excellent point. No small attention to detail when it comes to light and sound for a quality effect.

• Like Like x 3
  14. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I agree. The genre had so much going for it early on and then they turned it into more like daytime soaps. I guess that was the short lived thing.

I loved the family drama and the power plays that success excessive wealth brought. What was my favorite was Falcon Crest's use of secret societies. All of this seemed so much more real in Falcon Crest and that house was part of it. A family's historical residence and Richard's more sprawling house of the next generation, an old house fixed up for a middle class family on a farm for the Gioberti's.

• Like Like x 3
  15. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I'd love to see a Falcon Crest continuation with all this conspiracy political craziness going on right now. Could have Richard's son Michael inherit Falcon Crest (part or all) and move in with his aunt Emma into old family house. Then let the battle begin.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    Falcon Crest's mansion needed a spectacular, rustic kitchen (Robert Foxworth, when he was directing, placed Melissa and Lance in one during S3 which was supposed to be Angela's kitchen). But in the later seasons, they put in a solarium off of the study (where the kitchen should logically be) instead of placing it behind the living room. (In real life, there's a breakfast solarium off the dining room on the east corner of the house).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Gioberti84

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Nice images.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Nice idea but I don't see Angela in the kitchen much. And I wouldn't expect to see Richard in the kitchen either or his sons. They were a bit more blood blue to me than anyone on Dallas. I'd expect the kitchen staff to meet with them not them meet in the kitchen.

Nice kitchens though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    Although it wouldn't likely be a cold service kitchen like they had in that mausoleum they lived in on DYNASTY.

I wonder what the actual kitchen in the real Spring Mountain Vineyard looks like; I might have seen a photo of it in a tabloid in the '80s, but I'm not sure.

• Like Like x 1