How has your music taste changed through life?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Emelee, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    This is a thread for reminiscing. Go back from when you have your first music memories and tell us what you liked at different ages in your life. What genre and what artists did you listen to at 9? At 14? At 19? At 24? At 30? At 36? (for example). Add some YouTube clips so the rest of us can follow along on your life journey (so far).

You can make it a long journey or a short one. You decide what you want to share and how much time/energy you want to invest.

I will begin to write down my life music history and post it soon. It can work as your template if you want one, but you can of course do it your own style. No rules.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    Emelee's music journey (The 1990s)

My first music memories are quite uninteresting. Music for kids, in Swedish. I will skip that part.

The first “grown up” music I can remember liking was Roxette and Belinda Carlisle etc. I had cassette tapes with them. This must have been around 1992, when I was 7-8 years old. I had Roxette´s album Joyride playing in my cassette player a lot.

I got my first CD player for Christmas 1992 and the first album I bought was Carolas jul, a Christmas album. I don’t think I was much of a fan, but it was a cheap album and I wanted Christmas songs. However, I will always remember buying it – but I have no idea what my 2nd CD was. I know my mom and I listened to Pet Shop Boys around this time. I would not have remembered which album of theirs if I didn’t have a great image memory of it. A quick Google search and I can now say without a doubt that it was their 1991 Discography: The Complete Singles Collection album. My favorite song was Always On My Mind.

Then came 1993, and I was 9. This was when I discovered the 1990s electronic disco music, and “Eurodance”. I can easily list my favorite songs from 1993:

Culture Beat – Mr. Vain
    2 Unlimited – No Limit
    DJ Bobo – Somebody Dance With Me
    Twenty 4 Seven – Is It Love and Slave To The Music
    Pandora – Trust Me
    Captain Hollywood Project – More And More
    Cut’N’Move – Give It Up
    Melodie MC – I Wanna Dance and Dum Da Dum
    Rob ‘N’ Raz – In Command
    Cappella – U Got 2 Let The Music
    Army Of Lovers – Israelism and La Plage De Saint Tropez
    and………..
    Ace Of Base – probably my favorite group back then. I had both their Happy Nation album (1992) as well as the US version of it called The Sign (1993). My strongest memory is my daily jogging inside the living room listening to the song Happy Nation. That was my exercise at the time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Good times!

I also liked some rock at the time. Bryan Adams, INXS, Meat Loaf, Atomic Swing and UB40. Looking back, it was almost only English lyrics songs I listened to in the 90s. And I followed Dallas and The Bold and the Beautiful like a slave. No wonder I learned English faster than my friends at the time.

Another thing that strikes me now is that I stared with rock, then went over to eurodance/trance dance and after that went over to boy bands. Isn’t it usually the other way around?

Before the boy bands, we have 1994 and 1995. These 2 years, I continued to love the electronic mainstream music. My favorite songs of the time include:
    Basic Element – The Promise Man, Queen Of Love, The Ride and The Fiddle
    Ace Of Base – Beautiful Life and Lucky Love
    Nina - The Reason Is You
    Rednex – Cotton Eye Joe and Wish You Were Here
    E-Type – Set The World On Fire and This Is The Way
    Cool James & Black Teacher – Dr Feelgood
    Wet Wet Wet – Love Is All Around
    Pandora – Come On And Do It
    Maxx – No More (I Can’t Stand It)
    Cranberries – Zombie
    Leila K - Electric
    Magic Affair – Omen III
    Whigfield – Saturday Night and Another Day
    Ice MC – Think About The Way
    Prince Ital Joe & Marky Mark – United
    The Real McCoy – Run Away and Automatic Lover
    Corona – The Rhythm Of The Night, Try Me Out and Baby Baby
    Lisa Ekdahl – Vem Vet
    Mo-Do – Eins, Zwei, Polizei
    DJ Bobo – Love Is All Around, Let The Dream Come True and Everybody
    Look Twice – Move That Body and Feel The Night
    2 Brothers On The 4th Floor – Dreams
    U96 – Love Religion
    La Bouche – Sweet Dreams, Be My Lover
    Sonic Dream Collective – Oh, Baby All
    Shaggy – Boombastic
    Me & My – Dub-I-Dub
    TLC – Waterfalls
    Sin With Sebastian – Shut Up (And Sleep With Me)
    Jamie Walters – Hold On
    Culture Beat – Inside Out and Miracle

Many fond memories. Still like many of these hits.

With 1996 came puberty and the boy bands. This was when the posters came up in my room. Leonardo DiCaprio, Jared Leto, Mark Owen, David Charvet, John Stamos, Edward Furlong and Nick Carter. Leo and Mark were my 2 favorites.

I was very selective with what boy bands I liked. Take That was my #1. I remember that I started liking them when they split up. I loved their 1996 best of album. I also loved 5ive, Backstreet boys, Westlife and Consoul. I hated Hanson with a passion and I was not a fan of *NSync, Boyzone, East 17 or NKOTB.

I also got back into more rock in 1996, but pop was still there. I listened to music like:
    No Doubt – Spider Webs
    Whale – Four Big Speakers
    Babylon Zoo - Spaceman
    Fugees – Fu-Gee-La
    Gina G – Just A Little Bit
    OMD – Walking On The Milky Way
    Everything But The Girl – Missing
    Alanis Morissette – Ironic
    Spice Girls – Wannabe
    Suede – Trash
    Cardigans – Lovefool
    Coolio – Gangsta’s Paradise
    Donna Lewis – I Love You Always Forever
    2Pac – California Love
    Los Del Rio – Macarena ----- and I still know the dance moves by heart

I guess you can count Savage Garden as a boy band, but for some reason I don’t and can’t. I was a huge Savage Garden fan in 1997-1999.

Speaking of 1997, this was one of my daytime soap loving years. The Bold and the Beautiful and Sunset Beach mostly. I got into listening to Usher at this time because he was on B&B. My taste in music changed a lot between 1997 and 1999. Some of my favorites at this time were:
    Savage Garden
    Michael Learn To Rock
    Usher
    Offspring
    Hole
    Ardis
    Robbie Williams
    Steps (still knows the dance by heart)
    Blümchen
    Spice Girls
    Madonna
    Eagle-Eye Cherry
    Emilia
    Puff Daddy
    Robyn
    Will Smith
    Vengaboys
    Wannadies
    All Saints
    Cardigans
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Cher
    This Perfect Day
    Garbage
    Bonnie Tyler
    Celine Dion
    Sheryl Crow
    Kent
    Bloodhoung Gang
    Whitney Houston

1998-1999 was also the years I got into country. This was when country mixed with pop and became mainstream music with Shania Twain, Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes etc. It didn’t stop there though. Me and my pen pal were obsessed with Sunset Beach, and country singer Barbara Mandrell played a character on that show. So we got into her and also other country stars. My favorites from this time include:

Johnny Cash
    Trisha Yearwood
    Shania Twain
    Dixie Chicks
    Martina McBride
    Faith Hill
    Tim McGraw
    Lane Brody
    Gretchen Wilson
    Reba McEntire
    Jill Johnson
    LeeAnn Womack
    LeAnn Rimes
    Barbara Mandrell
    Alan Jackson
    Jeannie C Riley
    Kenny Rogers
    Tammy Wynette
    Bellamy Brothers
    Dolly Parton
    Bobbie Eakes (Macy on B&B)

Years 2000 to 2010 is coming sometime soon...........

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,472
    I agree, not every all-male band is a boyband. And there were boybands before the 90s boybands, but most of them made good music. The 90s boybands did not (or only sparsely) because they weren't making music, they were making boyband music. And even with the sound off you could see that it was a boyband song. And not because they were young men.
    It's interesting that you discovered (and liked) a "new" genre because of a TV series.

I like pretty songs and that has never changed, so that's my story:)

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1