How Looks Changed From Season To Season

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, May 3, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +878
    This thread was inspired by a picture Via The Void used in a post from the "Dallas: Politically Incorrect"? thread. Via posted this great picture of Pam:

That is a great picture of Pam isn't it? How many hairstyles do you think she had in her 10 seasons of Dallas? All the women had a bunch if different hairstyles and even hair colors throughout their careers on Dallas. There was a time, maybe season 8 or around there when almost all the women got their hair cut short. I don't know if the showrunner asked them to do that, or of they coincidentally almost all just happened to cut their hair much shorter than before. Anyway, this is my favorite look for Pam - this haircut is how I always remember her. It just says "1980s" doesn't it?

I think that's my favorite style of any era. It's a subjective thing but objectively you can say that the 80s very much had its own look. I don't know that 30 or 40 years from now, people will be make to look at pictures of famous actresses from the present era and say "That look is very 2010 - 2019.' Somehow I doubt it. I don't think there's anything distinctive enough about it that would separate if from other decades. Whether people like the 80s or not, they certainly had their own unique identity, didn't they?

The only woman who didn't ever cut her hair short on Dallas, as far as I remember, was Deborah Shelton. Like Victoria Principal above, Deborah Shelton's hair was also very 80s in style. I have always thought they were the two best looking women in Dallas.. Why would they let them both go at the end of the same season?

I understand that with Victoria Principal they had no choice because she was determined to leave and take a shot at becoming a big movie star. That's what I remember Larry Hagman saying. He said he could understand it because she was at a age where she still was young enough that she had a shot of making it big in movies but she couldn't afford to wait much longer because, according to Larry (and I think he was right), the time frame for women in Hollywood to become movie stars is much smaller than the time frame for men. Actors can make to at practically any age, but, and this is unfair but true or it was true t the time he said it, if an actress doesn't become a big movie star by around 40 years old, give or take a few years, then her chances of ever making it are not very good.

Back to the subject of the thread, for Pam Ewing2.jpg anyone who is interested, post a picture of a Dallas actor or actress when he or she had your favorite look out of their whole run on Dallas.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I thought Sue Ellen looked her best in season 5 and season 11. I think this length of hair suits her :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    that’s a fantastic look for Sue Ellen. I know some people like it, but the super-butch Dick Butkus shoulderpad era Sue Ellen isn’t my favorite.

As for Pam, you can’t beat miniseries, unless you’re talking series 1 Election. Truly one of the most beautiful people even to grace a TV screen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(with the late, great Ken “Cliff Barnes” Kercheval)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,707
    Medals:
    I think it also helps that it's a less dated haircut than the dreaded mullet.

5. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I think it helps that mid-length hair without a crazy style is fairly timeless and certainly it's more the little details that might date them (parting, hair colour, hair texture etc.). Looking back at old styles it's easy to ask why something was ever so popular, but if everyone was doing it then you sort of become a little immune to the constant question, whereas now looking at the above styles it's easy enough to imagine a woman with that hair and still thinking it looks nice.

6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,707
    Medals:
    True, even if Linda's hair above is clearly 80s in styling and Victoria's very late-70s, it's an easy enough hairstyle to change with some modifications while The Mullet or The PoodlePerm can't really be changed easily.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,828
    Medals:
    Pam's perm is probably best forgotten. I actually thought Pam in season 10 - her final season - looked even better than before.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I thought Victoria looked best during the miniseries and part of the first season. After that, she got that shag haircut, and they started going much heavier on the makeup for her. Her early, natural look was best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,037
    Medals:
    I think we've mostly come to the conclusion that VP "had something done" before her final season, and yet could never quite determine just exactly what --- which means it was successful.

10. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,485
    My fav hairstyle of Victoria’s was her short hair in 84/85. Her hair looked amazing in the first part of 85/86 aswell. So beautiful. Incidentally Victoria (and Heather Locklear) were on the most covers of Sophisticate’s Hairstyleguide in the 80s. My other Dallas best hair favourites were Lucy and Kristen :) The two funniest timed haircuts were Jenna’s in prison new do and Sue Ellen’s stop for a restyle before she visited Cliff in hospital.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  11. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +909
    victoria.jpg

Doesn't it look gawd awful! :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Poor poor Pam! That belongs to the time when she used to throw stones at the Ewing Oil offices...and used to date Miles Colby!!

13. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Wow. Is that Pam Ewing or Peter Brady?

14. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +878
    Now I'm thinking maybe I did like Victoria Principal's look best in the top picture of Pam in Taylor Bennet's post. She looked amazing then. I still like the way she looked in the picture included in my OP as well. I don't know why during season 9 she had some plastic surgery done that changed the shape of her mouth. Look at Pam before she got kidnapped in Colombia and then look at her when they recovered her and you can see that time period in between is when she had a procedure done..

She still looked very nice but there was nothing about the shape of her mouth that needed to be changed. It looked perfect as it was, which you can see in the first of the two pictures directly above this. I'n glad that at least she didn't go as far as Melanie Griffith did with her collagen injections, or whatever it is that you call what she had done to her mouth. Melanie really overdid it. Victoria did it in a more subtle way.

Last edited: May 11, 2019