How should each season feel ?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,699
    Medals:
    I don't mean specific storylines, necessarily, but what vibe do see each season as rightly having -- what they did versus what you think they should have done...?

Season 1 -- I wouldn't change much. I like the '70s mood still very much in place during the calendar year of 1980 when the pilot was shot along with most of the season. I like that melancholy, because it believably conveys that these characters have stepped out of the past. I might like the mansion scenes to feel a little more like that scene which opens "Krystle's Lie" and to have the season overall feel a little more autumnal and/or more like the pilot. (Maybe that's why I want the Blaisdel's kitchen, though rarely seen, to look more like a rustic middleclass kitchen from the '70s to contrast the more aloof service kitchen at the mansion... And I always want Claudia's "Am I a whore?" disco scenes to evoke actual songs from 1980, although Spelling was so cheap he would unlikely spring for even a cover band's version).

Season 2 -- I don't think I'd change anything, whether it pertains to plot or the program's "flavor". This became the defining year of DYNASTY for a reason. The show is establishing who these characters are, the relationships between them, and the world they inhabit. For me, it hits exactly the right note for where this season is located in the series' history. Not too much, not too little, no wrong pitches struck.

Season 3
    -- The vibe of the year seems mostly right. The addition of Adam and La Mirage are correct -- that vibe from the year only compromised by the dreadfully pallid set created to be La Mirage's deathly lobby, and the appearance of those oft-stated (especially by me) problems which would mar most of the remaining seasons: the static acting constraints thru which the cast have to nervously deliver the increasingly florid dialogue which nevertheless seems to go nowhere. That's a big problem because it trips up what the show is still trying to do: tell a plausible story. That, and the Reagan Era 'rich-people-deserve-to-be-rich-and-you-don't' mindset you'd expect the characters to have has now infected the camera itself, which implies an increasingly subjective perspective from the show which can't bode well for what's coming. But if it weren't for those things, there is still a bit of a fresh tone to this season which mostly fits.

Season 4 -- The first episode of the season, "The Arrest," communicates the flavor that this season should have had. Stylish, focused, tightly executed (even though this was quickly dropped). This year always seems to me like it should have and could have been the most groundedly lavish period of the show, one that was a wee bit gothic, the stories not overly wild, an air of posh, genuine sophistication. And I want to see Fallon and an obviously recast Peter DeVilbus (why not bring back Pierre du Chalon from last year's hotel grand opening as the titled scammer out to bilk Blake's daughter?) jet-setting around the glamour capitals of Europe -- London, Paris, Rome, the Riviera -- even if the locations are well-faked and a lot of cleverly done montages are used. This is also a season I want a little bit of the chaaracters' religious background injected into certain scenes (which is why I like the idea of Blake's and Adam's scene in the chapel). And I want a different cinematographer for Season 4.

Season 5 -- There was always a whiff of a winter holiday about this year, perhaps in anticipation that there would be a literal Christmas episode. But it should have been stronger (instead of the mauve-y pastel plasticky thing which, admittedly, was très, très 1984) and lasted longer. Even then, this felt like it would probably be the peak season of DYNASTY, the natural successor to the grounded gothic glamour that should have defined the previous season. And I like Michel Hugo's camerawork this year: it was silky and glossy and would never look as good in future chapters of the show.

Season 6 -- I've always wanted a much longer introduction for the Colbys prior to their spinning off, to enhance DYNASTY and to give THE COLBYS a better chance once they were back in California. I'd like to see much of the feel of the early COLBYS series mixed in to what DYNASTY was doing so boringly during the first half of Season 6: Alexis can still be pursuing the throne of Moldavia, and I'll even accept doppelganger Rita (in a more limited, mid-season capacity concurrent with Alexis' three or four episodes as Queen) but once both leading ladies are back in Denver and the Colbys exit, I want to see some actual location shooting for late-Season 6 -- Hong Kong, Alexis' Loire Valley château she inherited from Cecil (if Spelling can pay for THE LOVE BOAT to hit the actual foreign harbor twice a season, why can't DYNASTY afford to do so even once??) before taking over Blake's house and company by year's end... I always think Season 6 cries out to be The Mother of All Primetime Soap Seasons, even though it actually fell short.

Season 7 -- Alexis in the mansion is fine (despite the series' usual flaws of not knowing what to do with a character once they've changed jobs/homes/partners) although I'd like much more of a Norma Desmond/Mortcia Addams/Lady Dracula feel to these scenes, like a horror movie. And in contrast, the new hotel, The Carlton, should have had a much warmer victorian look (as it did in Season 9, only more so). I also want at least a day of location shooting at Filoli in the fall with Alexis perusing the gardens, Mistress of the Manor for the first time in 22 long years. We should almost feel like we're seeing the house and grounds for the first time (and that can't be achieved at Arden Villa). The dire plots from the last half of the season would have been acceptable if they hadn't tried to have everybody suddenly make nicey-nice, which just underscored the drabness. And I'd like that avalanche cliffhanger they'd planned but dropped for the end of the year... There seem a lot of parallels between Season 2 and Season 7; I'd just like those parallels to work better than they did. This could have been a fresh period in the series, and it wound up being the opposite -- if they realized that Season 2 was year worth "redoing" then they should have looked at what Season 2 actually did and felt like.

Season 8 -- I'd like a cloistered, ghostly, interior vibe for this season, maybe even with a multi-episode blizzard story arc, one that shuts down Denver. That way you can save money and use all that stock footage we never saw of the Rockys and Colorado in the snow, and just shake potato flakes passed the windows. Seems a good opportunity for another Christmas episode, but one much richer and more intimately lavish than that from S5... And since I want Krystle's headaches to actually affect the plot (and maybe toy with her clairvoyance) that could not only compromise her work for Blake's gubernatorial race, it could add to the noiresque mood I think this year cries out for... And I want Krystle involved in that climactic scene at Alexis' hotel suite when somebody's trying to shoot somebody before Krystle disappears.

Season 9 -- Vibe-wise, I have no complaints, just as I had none for Season 2. (Yes, Paulsen needed to explain that the D.A. lied to Alexis eight years earlier about Roger Grimes dying in prison, but that's a plot detail).

Season 10 -- I'd rather have a S10 that a 1991 REUNION, that's fer sher...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Medals:
    For me seasons 1-2 had a Gatsby-esque 1920s vibe, Season 4 was 1940s gothic noir
    And seasons 6 was pure early-mid 1960s Sirkian melodrama vibe to it, I would even go as far and say that season 9 itself was a throwback to the mid 1970s, the 70s by 1988-89 wasn't as derided and people at the time longed for that time period.

I have to say that aside from seasons 7 & 8 no two seasons were the same on Dynasty as such, even seasons 1 & 2 are remarkably different from one another.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,699
    Medals:
    Was or shoulda been ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Medals:
    A bit of both in a way, it just wasn't executed in season 4 not always in the right way, but its little things, like Alexis being at her prime this season as a formidable ice queen with intellect, like a 40s femme fatale, Fallon being used by a playboy, Claudia being tormented, these were all excellent ideas bur not always executed in the right way, you could see that TPTB were trying, whereas by season 6 it was all or nothing and Tbh the 1985-86 year was strange for all the soaps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,699
    Medals:
    Yes, good point. That part was right on target, despite the execution. And Joan was never more cool and smokey-voiced as in Season 4.

Also true. All four shows seemed tired -- not very tired, just kind of tired -- and somehow tan or beige in the 85/86 year.

• Like Like x 1