1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Dallas Character How should Sue Ellen's character have been written?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Justine, Dec 8, 2018.

?

How should Sue Ellen's character have been written?

1. Celebrity Sue Ellen, former Hollywood producer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Philanthropist Sue Ellen, the C.E.O. of foundation for addiction/trauma

40.0%
  3. Businesswoman Sue Ellen, as written in the series

40.0%
  4. Other

20.0%
  1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Sue Ellen (Linda) was the highlight of Dallas TNT for me, and yet the writers really didn't do Sue Ellen's character - or Linda's incredible talent - any justice.

There are so many directions the writers could have taken with the way Sue Ellen was written. I personally think it would have added another element to the series, if Sue Ellen hadn't been wrapped up in the family business and a third party in John Ross' silly relationship dramas. Obviously, Cidre and the writers failed to pay note to lots of Dallas' history but Sue Ellen's departure sent her life onto a different course and it would have been nice if they had honoured that.

She could have been written (1) as part of Texas' 'celebrity' culture: the ex-wife of J.R. and Don Lockwood; a Hollywood producer with her own company; remembered for her status as Miss Texas, and somewhat involved in the fashion industry. Or, she could have been written (2) more holistically: with a career in the therapeutic profession; the C.E.O. of her own foundation to combat addiction/trauma.

So, what was/would be everyone's preference in the way Sue Ellen was written; or did you like the way Sue Ellen was linked into the series?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,849
    Medals:
    I actually think she was written pretty much in character for the most part - yes, you can complain about her actual storylines, but they did well with her.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    I actually liked the way they had her at the beginning of the series, as a politician. Only, perhaps I would not have written her going for governor but for senator. But I would certainly have kept her out of the business fray.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steven Wayne

Steven Wayne Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The way Sue Ellen was largely marginalised in the first season showed that the idea of her political career had very limited potential for the series. Obviously they had to pull the plug on that storyline because actually becoming Governor of Texas would have removed Sue Ellen from Dallas even more.
    As soon as she became involved with the family business and John Ross’s shenanigans, Sue Ellen became a much more central character with considerably more screen time. So that was a good decision, from my point of view.
    Linda Gray’s best work on the new show was in relation to the passing of J.R. and her subsequent fight with her own demons, also in the way she confronted John Ross. Focusing on that mother-and-son relationship would have been the best way to use my favourite DALLAS character.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    For the most part I also liked the way they wrote Sue Ellen on the show. I especially loved her relationship with John Ross. :)
    It was also sad but interesting to see her fight her demons again. As much as I didn't want her to fall off the wagon again it made sense that JR's death pushed her over the edge and she lost her footing.

Anyway if I could have changed one thing it would have been her relationship with JR. Larry and Linda was magic together as JR/SE so I wish we had seen more of the JR/SE relationship. Either they should have put them back together again in season one or they should already have been married and have lived at Southfork when the show began. I know having both Bobby/Ann and JR/SE living at the same ranch seems awkward but the Ewings always lived together. Remove them from Southfork and you don't have the same built in dysfunctional family dynamics as the original show had.

I think the fact that they kept cutting out Sue Ellen scenes in season one showed how out of touch with the fan base the new showrunners were. They didn't understand what the fans wanted to watch at all or they never would have cut out the JR/SE dance scene at the BBQ. :(

Then as for what Sue Ellen should do. I voted for the idea of her running a foundation that is working with addiction/trauma. It would have been nice to see Sue Ellen help other women fight similar demons that she has fought herself.

But I didn't mind her being involved in the family business either. With JR gone, it was good that Sue Ellen stepped up to the plate and sided with John Ross.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    ...and this is why I selected "Other".

I would never imagine Sue Ellen in politics. If there was ever a career choice which will drive anyone to drink that would be it. It was an odd thing and in my opinion a wrong choice by the writers to place Sue Ellen. Stretching the imagination a little here the writers could have Sue Ellen residing on her own property bordering Southfork...just a short horse ride away...anything to exploit the surrounds of Southfork and see Sue Ellen on horseback again.

I also would have John Ross residing with Sue Ellen...just enough distance for him to cast an eye towards the horizon and quietly contemplate what he believes rightfully belongs to him...Southfork and all that oil sitting underneath, just waiting to be exploited. This scenario creates the two houses of Ewing and the conflict the writers originally intended, John Ross vs Christopher as predicted by Miss Ellie.

On Southfork we have Bobby, Ann and Christopher with Sue Ellen and John Ross on the Southern Cross, the name she decided to call her property in honour of Clayton Farlow.

I don't believe Sue Ellen needed to be a Governor, Senator, business woman or the head of some foundation. I just wanted her there, keeping an ever watchful eye over John Ross and JR.

Sue Ellen just needed to be involved in the centre of all battles...the fight for Ewing Oil and Southfork...all the while Miss Ellie's wise words ringing in her ear;

"Think ahead Sue Ellen...think 25 or 30 years ahead. I won't be here then..and the fight won't be between JR and Bobby. It'll be between John Ross and Christopher. Think carefully Sue Ellen. Your loyalty to your husband is a wonderful thing, but your a mother to, and where will all this end...."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Medals:
    I've always thought a core mistake was the dumping of the reunion movies. I would have built on that and kept Sue Ellen in business. She had shown a growing aptitude for that and would no doubt have done well in the intervening years. It's not unbelievable that she would enter politics but as others have noted it took her way from the main story and for that reason it's unlikely that it was ever going to go anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Even if they were going to have her in politics, they should have had her running for something reasonable, since she had no experience in politics. They could have had her run for mayor of Braddock. Of course, the people writing it would have had to have known what Braddock is.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    Like your ideas.

For me it would have started with Sue Ellen as head of Ewing Farlow Family Foundation, explain where all that money went. Certainly make sense that Clayton would have put her in charge before his death. I’d have had a Texas celebrity: former Miss Texas, philanthropic giant and Lady Maitland (a title she inherited from the death of her late husband, Don Lockwood, who got the lord title from his father, and the show at least recognized he existed). She’s have massive business holdings, a billionaire in her own right, but not a day to day business runner. She would have been a fine lady, influential in the DOA.

I’m not sure about the run for Governor. She certainly could make the commute with her money. Maybe just gave her backing a candidate for Governor, more plausible I think.

And I’d have had her remarried to JR from the start. A wonderful, reminiscent and romantic fairytale marriage. Leave the drama to the others.

Miss Ellie’s will: Southfork Mansion to JR (Bobby returned SF to Miss Ellie when she returned to Dallas), SF Ranch to Bobby (live in the house and dating Sue Ellen’s friend, Ann) and SF land to the foundation (thus Sue Ellen’s control, why John Ross thought he could get away with drilling). Mineral right in question.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,868
    Medals:
    Bobby, Sue Ellen & the wicked kids in the same boardroom...it was a family business after all.
    A naff foundation or charity is only interesting if somebody embezzles money from it. Foundations are for the Miss Ellies and Mavis Andersons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    I call that a slam dunk :hats:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    It was there Willie, just not enough of it. The coke snorting madam grandmother and the drug cartel kept distracting from us from the main event. It's why I came up with the suggestion the producers could have Sue Ellen and John Ross adjacent to Southfork. Having Sue Ellen on the board of Ewing Energies is great because it puts her at the centre of the attention. She knows what drives John Ross, that manipulative ex-husband of hers. She understands the history that comes with Southfork. This is where Sue Ellen should be...anything...anything to have the beautiful Linda Gray grace my television screen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,842
    Small errors like the one you pointed out frustrated Dallas fans. I agree with other posters on soapchat suggesting a Dallas (know it all) consultant should have been on the payroll. Poor Don was swept aside along with numerous other characters but we're told to suck it up and accept Cliff adopting some random kid off the street and raised him like his own.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    Thanks. Also as much as I love JR/SE together. I can't see them having a fairytale marriage. I mean there has to be some drama there. But I don't think the drama should be that he was cheating on her. That's been done too much already and I would want to see them as a solid older couple who love each other and has each other's backs. So I think the drama should come from other things. Like differences in opinions about how John Ross is living his life etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,849
    Medals:
    Or they could be a terrible twosome - a couple who schemes together lives forever.

(Which is what I wanted John Ross and PamBecca to be, but alas; the show needed a center)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    Good point - as for fairytale, I meant that after such a road, love could conquer all and they could be happy together. I wouldn’t recommend that two great acting talents just sit in the background.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    Not sure why a couple scheming together couldn’t be the center:

JR and Sue Ellen after several marriages and ups and downs, after her marriage for position and his for beauty they find they love each other and their hobby is power - an older Frank and Claire Underwood (House of Cards) semi retired.

John Ross and Pamela Rebecca as a younger Frank and Claire - a irony that JR is as taken with PR as Big Daddy was Maggie (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof).

Uncle Bobby continuing to provide the moral center of the family, maybe even more so then ever before (not less as we saw) - more the widowed Miss Ellie type, not the Claudius (Hamlet) type.

Christopher - the antagonist, just as scheming but without the support of a good woman, a tragic figure, sleeping around, bribing, stealing, bullying, but unlike John Ross who’s parents accept him, Christopher is alone, struggling to be king on his own, a more likeable Cliff.

18. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    That's a good point. They could have been the center if it hadn't been for Cidre's arrogance. JR and Sue Ellen were David Jacobs's creation and Cidre had to have characters she created as the center. She gave JR and Sue Ellen some screen time, but only because she knew they would attract more viewers to the show - more viewers to see what an amazing job she'd done of improving Dallas and making it suitable for a modern audience. Dallas was originally about family, competing in the oil business and personal feuds between families. That's old fashioned to people like Cidre who cater to the bizarre - the more distasteful the better.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Medals:
    The thing is that yes JR and SE weren’t her’s and neither were Bobby, John Ross, Pamela Rebecca or Christopher. And I get why she wanted her own characters, but if such was to work as “Dallas” she had to get Dallas to work. That meant at least JR (while alive) and either Sue Ellen or Bobby. Then that meant the next generation, at least John Ross and then maybe Christopher or Pamela Rebecca. I’d guess she’d want as few of them as possible to let her character shine but without a critical mass it would be Dallas.

Then there were plenty of chances for Ewing’s that could have been her own characters:

[​IMG]
    Boaz “Bo” Ewing: the never named or created baby of Cally - I’d think as never named CC could have easily created this character as her own.

[​IMG]
    Eleanor “Ellie” Ewing: JR had countless women he could have had other children with and as Larry Hagmsn based JR on HL Hunt he could have easily had a hidden family (or two) - and the woman could have been 1/2 Hispanic as which seemed to be a goal of CC.

And why not

[​IMG]
    Carlos Lee: as in Jordan Lee’s 1/2 brother, more a friend of JR’s than Jordan was or any number of original families with such an off spring. Maybe the entire Wendell family as 1/2 Hispanic.

There was no reason from the start to create entirely new roles with no original connections.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,849
    Medals:
    Actually, my point was that they could've been the center the show was missing.

Ultimately, I think the show ended up fighting itself because (obviously) Cidre wanted her own characters to shine, but at the same time it still had to be Dallas. It's a shame, because whenever she let go of her pretentions, the show ended up shining.

• Agree Agree x 2