How the Ewings Could Have Lost Southfork

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Dynasty had Alexis take Filoli, and Falcon Crest had Melissa take is title winery. How could Dallas have pulled off a similar storyline? I suppose Wendell taking Ewing Oil sort of fits the bill, but I wish it would have been Southfork. Falcon Crest had Melissa, I think, unearth some letters and documents that proved Angela's ancestor lost the winery to an Agretti in a card game. She took them to court, and they had that iconic finale with Angela saying, "I'll be back." Perhaps Dallas could have had Cliff find letters and documents, which proved Aaron Southworth lost Southfork to either Henry or Digger Barnes. Of course, Digger was drunken stupid all the time and put that stuff away and forget about it all. I could just see the look on Cliff's face and the glee he gets when he announces he's taking the Ewings to court. As the Ewings are about to leave, Cliff arrives with officers and watches happily as they leave. He tells Christopher he wants him to live with him, but Chris says that the Uncle Cliff he knew died a long time ago, and that his hatred for the Ewings killed what good was in him before he leaves with the Ewings.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    An interesting topic. JR nearly lost the family home when he mortgaged Southfork in a deal that nearly went belly up. I enjoyed that moment because both Jock and Miss Ellie in particular knew that when it came to JR and wheeling and dealing, nothing was off limits. Then Garrison arrived and Miss Ellie believed it was rightfully his, being the rightful heir.

If we were to work with the characters in the Dallas Universe I would have liked to see Jeremy Wendell somehow beat JR at his own game. I'd have Jeremy arrive at the Ewing office to give JR the bad news. He has ownership of Southfork. "Will you like to inform the family JR or should I?"

In a nail biting season ending cliffhanger JR arrives home, walks into the living room to be greeted by the extended family, they're none the wiser regarding what's to come.

JR informs the family he has lost Southfork. Miss Ellie walks up to him and slaps him. End scene.

• Like Like x 1
  3. johnmmil10

johnmmil10 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Don’t forget about how they nearly lost Southfork to the fire!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JR's Son

JR's Son Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +133
    A fire. If they did it ala Falcon Crest, they could have Cliff battle with hints of guilt, and he starts seeing Miss Ellie everywhere. Finally, he gets to the point where he completely cracks up, pours gasoline all over the first floor. He stands halfway up the stairs, lights a match, and laughs hysterically as the first floor is engulfed in flames before heading to the bedroom to lie down through it all.

6. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Is there a plot hole here - J.R was able to mortgage Southfork as it was part of Ewing Oil assets, yet wasn't an asset when Ewing Oil was dismantled and bought piece by piece by West Star.

Also, how did Ellie leave Southfork to Bobby (NOT Bobby & John Ross Cynthia Cyanide!!!) again, if Southfork was an asset of Ewing Oil?

I know Ellie saved the day when J.R mortgaged the ranch, but only by allowing drilling rights to the banks - the ranch was never put into anyone's personal name as far as I can remember.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I had one idea that someone could claim that Ellie's grandfather did not purchase Southfork legally. They then go through lots of papers to find proof that Southfork does legally belong to the Southwork family.

8. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Because Garrison Southworth had not died at sea, as his sister Ellie had believed for so many years, he was still the true owner of Southfork Ranch. He did die - eventually - in 1979. A few years later, his wife Cherie (seen in The Early Years movie) could have turned up, claiming the ranch. She and her children could have fought for it against the Ewings. I could see Donna Reed playing her.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think there very well may be a plot hole there, unless it was ever specifically addressed in the show. But it’s one that could be explained relatively easily. After seeing how J.R. almost lost Southfork, Jock and Miss Ellie realized that it was too risky to keep Southfork incorporated as a Ewing Oil asset, so they had it legally separated and put directly under their names, or maybe just under Miss Ellie’s name, for tax purposes or something. That would also explain why, as far as I recall, there was no mention of Southfork when Jock’s Will was read, because it was wholly owned by Miss Ellie at that point (and then recall she was also later able to sign over half-ownership of the ranch to Clayton, which she presumably inherited back when he died).

The DallasTNT thing did not make sense. Bobby was the 100% sole owner of the ranch, as evidenced by the fact that he was planning to sign it over to the Del Sol Conservancy at one point. There was no way for Miss Ellie to legally secretly bequeath half to John Ross or anyone else in the manner that the show portrayed it. That would have had to be stated in her Will when it was first read, as it would have had to have been made clear to Bobby that he was only getting 50% ownership in the ranch. A provision could have been made then with her saying that the other 50% was for John Ross, and at best it could have been stated that John Ross would not get his share until some later date, be it after J.R.’s death or some other specific time, and that Bobby would have the right to manage the property as he saw fit until then. But he wouldn’t have been able to sell it or give it away without John Ross’ consent.

The easier explanation would have been for Miss Ellie’s note to be read to ask Bobby to please give half ownership to John Ross now. And Bobby, being the dutiful son that he is, would likely do so in order to respect Miss Ellie’s wishes, but he would not have been legally obligated to.

10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    Should I have used my words more carefully? Did JR use Southfork as collateral rather than mortgaged? Clearly there is a difference between the two.

Collateral; something pledged as security for repayment of a loan, to be forfeited in the event of a default.

Where are my Dallas boffins when I need them?

11. JR's Son

JR's Son Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It could be said,

that Southfork is the Collateral used,

and is Mortgaged to the Bank of Dallas?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  12. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Right here!

J.R.'s Son and Rove are both correct.

There are a few rules specific to Texas banking, so I'll lay it out from a Texas perspective:

** Sets up white board and grabs a marker**

You are very careful to keep your ranch separate from your business, and put the ranch in your PERSONAL families name. That way, if you lose your business you won't lose your ranch. This is what Bobby meant when he said, "This family only has one asset-- Southfork"

You need a hundred million dollars fast, so you take out a loan against your ranch. The Bank Of Dallas now has a mortgage on the ranch, (good job, Rove) and the loan is secured by the ranch itself. Southfork is the collateral on the loan (good job, J.R.'s Son).

You make monthly loan payments, and if you cannot make your payments, the bank can foreclose on the ranch, and sell the ranch to satisfy the loan. This is what Jock meant when he asked about the money coming in before the first payment was due. And why J.R. was visably concerned when he said, "It's gonna be close . . . Real close."

You would never, never, never do this. Because if something goes wrong with your business, you are now also going to lose your ranch! This is what Miss Ellie meant when she said, "I didn't marry you to lose Southfork over an oil deal."

Now, here's where we need to look at the subtext involving Vaughn Leland and other bankers. In banking, it happens occasionally that a family cannot make that first payment for one reason or another. It is usual and customary for the bank to extend the date on that first payment. The extension would be almost automatic. It is expensive and difficult to foreclose on a large ranch like Southfork, and it is bad publicity to throw a family out in the street. So the banks would much rather extend the loan than foreclose.

But notice the brilliant writing here. Without coming out and saying it, the entire family knows that Vaughn Leland and the others will seize Southfork immediately. The writers don't spell it out, but they trust us to figure that there must be some bad blood between the bankers and the Ewings, and the bankers will pounce the very first chance they get.

And let's look at how much thought went into the scene where the family meets at Vaughn Leland's office to sign over the oil rights under Section 40:

In Texas, this signing of the oil rights would happen at the ranch. But this is also the Ewing's home and no way would they allow Vaughn Leland into their home, so they meet at the bank.

Also notice that everybody keeps this "strictly business". Everyone in Vaughn's office is wearing business attire.

But Miss Ellie gets one litte jab in. When Vaughn offers her a pen, she reaches right past it for a pen on the desk, rebuffing his offer.

Brilliant writing, and amazing production values. Every time you watch that plot line, you will notice another tiny detail that adds to the drama and realism of the show.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1