1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would Ewing Oil deal with the current oil crisis?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Srqmom, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Srqmom

Srqmom Soap Chat Member EXP: 4 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I know we are all anxious for this pandemic to end. Just like the real events Dallas dealt with concerning the oil industry, how do you think the Ewings would handle it now? Especially, JR? He can’t orchestrate a coup to end this!

2. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15,502
    Medals:
    I could see JR and Ewing Oil trying to corner the market in US storage capacity or trying a hostile takeover of a weaker oil company. Maybe JR has a hand in keeping the Russian-Saudi conflict in oil raging for some master plan to be the top US producer.

I could see JR orchestrating a coup in a oil reliant nation in Africa or South America while they are weak due to the low price of oil. This could bring Bobby's altruistic nature into conflict with JR as he sees these moves as exploiting people for profit. If you are a long term player there are many advantages to a weak oil market, even for oil companies that could make for good stories.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jabari Lamar

Jabari Lamar Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I think even J.R. would have learned his lesson from the last time he tried those kind of tactics in dealing with an oil crises back during the original show. It lead to John Ross' kidnapping and his almost-death, and then ultimately to the family losing Ewing Oil. So I doubt he'd risk anything that bad again.

But your first suggestion, sure, I could see J.R. trying to take advantage of the choas to buy out some smaller companies, whichever are still around, and hording the reserves for when he thinks things will get back to normal. And on top of that, like last time, I see the Ewings attempting to use their political influence (I'm sure J.R. and President Trump would get along extremely well, despite the fact that Ewings no doubt would have initially backed Jeb Bush in 2016) to fight the decline in oil prices.

And by now, "realistically" Ewing Oil would have diversified into alternative energies and other resources so this probably wouldn't hurt the company as bad as it did in the 80's, as they'd be a little better prepared this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JR's Son

JR's Son Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Fitter and Turner forum Admin
    Ratings:
    +123
    Found this way:

5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 16 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +11,078
    Medals:
    On the other hand, JR could repeat an old trick, opening lots of stations with low prices.

Swami