How Would You Have Done the Post-Dream Season

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +104
    How would you have done the season following the dream? I personally didn't find it to be very satisfying (with a few exceptions). I much preferred the dream over it. It would have started off as normal. We see Katherine drive off, but she decides to get revenge in a different way. Katherine holds the Ewings hostage at SF, and she tries to force Bobby to torture and kill Pam in front of the others, but her plans do not go as planned. She vanishes before she is apprehended. Ray and Donna decide to make it work and have a son named Jock. By season's end she learns she is pregnant with second son that they name Andy. Those were the names of Ray's sons in Conundrum. At the end of the season Pam walks back to her car after learning the good news, but a woman puts a gun to her back as she tries to get back in her car. The camera freeze frame on the mystery woman played by Barbara Carrera. This would leave things very open ended and more realistic for Pam to be missing.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Oh, heavens no. I much prefer the post dream season over the dream season itself. The dream season was like a smug, cluttered, PC season -- although Victoria was quite good in it. Otherwise, even the "strengthening" of the women was bogus.

The post-dream season was one of the best years they ever did, and may even invite the most frequent re-watching because of its breeziness ... if you can get past the very first scene in which Bobby explains to Pam that the previous year "never happened."

I would take one episode to explain away why Bobby's alive -- and then get everything in place so the new season's plotline could get underway by episode two as-is... It could be done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,887
    I would have somehow brought back Lucy & Mitch and included them in the story. I probably wouldn't have paired Jenna with Ray but rather have him and Donna patch up their marriage. But other than that I wouldn't want to change a thing since season ten (DVD) was a really strong season that's one of my favorites that I keep returning to and also often rewatch single episodes from. It's truly the last season where Dallas was still the same show that people around the world loved.

After this season it changed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I've said elsewhere previously that I would have done it with Bobby having the dream in a coma...the dream season cliffhanger would be all the main cast receiving phone calls - all in "gasp!" shock as they race to Dallas Memorial. Final scene is then the exact same set up as the previous season's cliffhanger, but with Bobby waking up - cue closing titles.

Before all this there could be tiny hints of dream like things going on, characters seeing or doing out of character things.

I think it would have been more easily accepted and not treated as the joke it became.

Post dream - write Jenna out, keep Donna & finish Katherine's storyline - everything else I'd pretty much keep the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    I agree with @pete lashmar, its Bobby's coma dream, not Pam's,
    The previous seasons cliffhanger was Pam getting a call from the hospital she rushes there and we, the audience think its Mark, but when the camera pans down to a bed its Bobby with his eyes fluttering, muttering incoherently things like "Sue Ellen....Explosion"
    "Jamie....dead" and "Ben Stivers...." *end season*

As for season 10, Bobby is still confused, especially when he sees Wes Parmalee, the man known as Ben Stivers in his coma dream
    Wes reveals that he visited Bobby when the other family members weren't around, and would speak to his comatose body, hence why Bobby would say "I know that voice" leading Bobby to believe that he could be Jock.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Bobby's coma dream, not Pam's, is the only dream scenario which makes any sense.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    I wanted Lucy and Mitch on the show again, too! I got all excited when he came back during that one scene because I thought he was going to move back to Dallas and be on the show with her again, but then it all got ruined!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    With hindsight the desperate theatrics in returning Bobby stuffed everything that was good about Dallas.

It's been so long since I've watch this season I cannot recall if I enjoyed it or not...but I'll take your word for it.

9. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,598
    It was by far NOT one of the best seasons ever, so I wouldn't settle for taking his word for it! ;) It had the POTENTIAL of becoming the season that brought "Dallas" back in the spotlight (for instance, by having the original cast present), but they missed their opportunity big time, IMO! I was very disappointed with what they gave us! :hat:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Well, I never suggested he take my word for it -- he just said he would.

But, yes, the season was marvelous, except for that stupid opening scene. And Lorimar's disastrous new edited-on-video post-production technique.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,598
    You're absolutely right! And I apologize for wording it wrong! :embarrassed:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. yago

yago Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19
    More intimate scenes between JR and Mandy Winger. Have it where Mandy gains a sense of arrogance and lords her looks and sexuality all over Sue Ellen. Have it where JR enjoys Mandy being a model and it turning him on even more knowing he gets to be the only one to have her. Have that relationship take off to new heights where Sue Ellen is having a very diffucult time coping with it (have some scenes where she catches JR/Mandy being intimate where it drives her insecurity even higher). Make Mandy a powerful and independent sexy character but also one that satisfies every sexual need/want for JR. Have Mandy visit Southfork and even spend some nights there. Develop her relationship with John Ross as well. Really strengthen Mandy/JR’s relationship romantically and sexually to where it leads to a double wedding with Bobby/Pam. All this happens while Sue Ellen is sober enough to see it unfold.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,986
    Well, Mandy did snap at Sue Ellen in a public restaurant that she was years younger and prettier. To her credit, Miss Gray did the scene.

14. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,887
    I can recommend you and everyone else who hasn't watched this season in years to rewatch it. Honestly it's better than you remember it was.

In fact Dallas TNT makes this season look golden and it even makes season 11-13 feel like great Dallas seasons when you compare them! ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    I agree the Dream season wasn’t very good but I hated it being a dream and just erased. I liked much of 10 and would keep it but change the beginning.

1) one year out Sue Ellen returns home from the hospital having been hurt in the explosion. So often soaps made recovery look impossibly quick.

2) then use flash backs of the year gap showing how things were resolved and lined up to get us where we’re needed for season 10 - a reset of events. In the flashbacks JR and Miss Ellie tell the family that Bobby has been in a coma. They thought it best not to tell anyone but they couldn’t pull the plug and they couldn’t let the family suffer - of course fighting ensued. Bobby in the shower was Pam’s dream in these flashbacks. Then there’s news of Bobby beginning to recover.

3) one year later Bobby returns to SF and we’re back where we started. Gary arrives to see his brother. Knots landing and Dallas are made whole again. Season 10 can proceed.

16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    I never watched Knots Landing but wouldn't the return of Bobby also require Knots to reset their story? I'm sure I've also seen mentioned on this site that when Bobby spun in the shower Knots Landing distanced itself from Dallas, forever. Can others elaborate?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Karin I had pinned my hopes on Warner Bros releasing a special 40th Anniversary Dallas Box Set, complete with Dallas: The Early Years and the Dallas Reunion Movies. I know the box set is available from sites like Amazon but the reviews from numerous buyers puts me off. I noted as from 6 March 2018 it would appear Amazon is re-releasing each season. These are shipped from and sold by Amazon, not some third party vendors. Perhaps they've been stung into action by the terrible reviews. I'm going to revisit Amazon on the 6th, check out what is actually happening, especially the DVD Region Coding and look at just purchasing Season 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. It may cost more but at least my Lorimar Dallas Series will be complete. Dallas: The Early Years and the Reunion Movies don't concern me as much.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    Agreed but what I suggest would allow them to include it or not. Bobby wasn’t mentioned again as I recall and Gary believed he was dead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,887
    Yes Knots Landing also dealt with that Gary's brother Bobby had died. In fact Val named one of her twins after Bobby. So there's a Bobby Ewing Jr.

So of course Knots can't change that and well therefore there were no more crossovers between Knots and Dallas after the dream season, except for that Gary and Val did appear in the final episode of Dallas and on Dallas TNT.

No Dallas characters appeared on Knots Landing after the dream season though but in all fairness they stopped appearing on Knots after season four. So it wasn't really the dream that made the shows separate. It was just that Knots wanted to stand on it's own.

Oh and I agree about the Dallas complete box set. I already have the show twice over but if WB released it again complete with deleted scenes, bloopers and gag reels I would totally get a new set. Especially if they had fixed the picture quality of the last seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  20. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +422
    Agreed it should be their choice or not to mention it. But they could make that choice at anytime and since in my version they didn’t break things, they could have ignored Bobby and still invited others, like Miss Ellie without bring out Bobby. Over all there would have been options and he still could have named his son Bobby.