How Would You Have Done the Post-Dream Season

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, Feb 6, 2018.

1. JRandSueEllenForever

JRandSueEllenForever Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    As I recall, it seemed to me that everything from the dream season was undone at the start cof season 10.

JR and Sue Ellen are enemies once again; JR is back with Mandy. Ugh!

Ray and Donna are no longer a happily married couple with newly adopted son Tony. Instead they’re back to being separated, Tony never existed, and even though Donna is pregnant, she is unforgiving and unwilling to even try to save her marriage (very un-Donnalike). Very uncharacteristic of her, from what we knew of her in past seasons.

Jenna is seething with bitterness at the Bobby-Pam engagement in season 10, even though at the end of season 8 she told Bobby maybe they shouldn’t marry.

Jamie dies in a car explosion, but post dream, she’s still alive. She was better off dead. I could have done without her resurrection. She should’ve stayed dead since they killed her off again post dream.

The Ben Stivers/ Wes Parmalee thing? I don’t know where to even begin with that f#*k up. I liked Steve Forrest very much, but to bring him back as a different character? Huh?

I seriously found the post dream season depressing and wished they would have only undone things directly pertaining to Pam and left everything else intact. Sure I was happy Bobby and Pam were together again (yay, Bobby isn’t dead!), but, damn, those two didn’t know a minute’s peace, and Pam then has that horrific car accident only a year later and is gone forever.

• Like Like x 2
  2. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +71
    My teenage heart belongs to Dallas... But I'm forced to acknowledge that Knots Landing's writers were much more creative... They would have handled the problem with a much more sophisticated point of view, even if turning the whole stuff into a dream. Obviously what only mattered to Katzman was to erase the previous season. Period.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +71
    And, by the way, after a dull season 8 ( DVD) centered on Jenna's boring trial and another fishy and predictable fight for Ewing Oil, the dream season was over the top. Linda Gray proved to be amazing ( if necessary) and the showdown between JR/Pam could have been apocalyptic... Let alone the emerald non sense and useless fiasco and Barbara Carrera's lack of... well... everything... plots were strong and new... But maybe a 31 episodes season was far too long... Water doesn't mix with oil I guess...

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    I'm not sure that the dream seasons plots were strong. Some of them were interesting ideas, but by mid-season it became clear that the new writers (who were from KNOTS, no less!) had no idea where they wanted their stories to go.

5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,156
    First and foremost, I would start with the dancing dwarf. Then Cliff would finally find some strong allies in the leprechauns.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Exactly - the show should've been based on this dynamic from this season on and there would've been a proper showdown between them - maybe it could've produced interesting enough material for Victoria not to leave and not having to bring back Patrick Duffy. That was the logical place for the show to go, but instead Pam bar a scene here or there, was more "80s working woman who drinks her coffee black in the morning before heading out" and of course there was the emerald nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    It's been theorized here that Katzman -- who created the Angelica Nero character -- brought her in to deliberately steal Pam's thunder at Ewing Oil. And I wouldn't be surprised -- Katzman didn't hate "strong" women as long as they weren't part of the core family or live at Southfork.

And to hell with catfights. I anticipate a dog-and-cat fight when JR snaps at Pam once too often that she's the one who caused Bobby death.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Yes!!

Imagine a scene where JR finally has pushed Pam's buttons one time too many and it starts off in his office. She first starts telling him how he's done her - and her family, Bobby and of course Christopher - wrong, then moves on to dropping things - like vases and crap like that - she keeps moving closer and closer to him as JR backs away, for the first time actually threatened by a woman, she keeps wrecking anything that gets in her way until she properly gets into JRs sorry face and properly tells him that he's not going to win - not now, not ever. She leaves the office, which is wrecked at this point (shades of Krystle leaving Alexis' studio), and JR makes a phone call to someone to sort out that "Barnes woman"...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Bobby loved emeralds.

The dream season was a big opportunity to reinvent the show, which was starting to show its age in 84-85. Unfortunately they blew it and returned to the tried and true post-dream. That worked for a year, then the show really got tired.

I never understood why they didn’t remarry Pam and Bobby and have her be in residence at Southfork as his widow during what turned out to be the dream. There was simply no reason for her to stick around with the Ewings if she was divorced from him at the time of his death. Mark Graison’s return was a mistake - that was an opportunity to bring in a new love interest for Pam, not revisit the past. Jack and Jamie were dull. Sue Ellen should have gotten divorced from J.R, and turned into a full-on villain.