Husky, blonde and mysterious - Kim Novak's Skylar.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Falcon Crest I, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Peter welcomed who he thought was his step daughter Skylar, with open arms. In fact he was welcoming his deceased step daughter's friend Kit, who took her identity. Did you feel the storyline constructed around Kim Novak went on further, than would it should? Would you have gave the husky blonde and mysterious character the boot sooner or would you have liked her to stay for season 7, just as Jane Wyman did?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,326
    I really liked how they introduced Skylar into the series so I was really interested to see how her role would develop. However, I felt that Kim Novak wasn't really at the top of her talents during her stint on the show and her acting at times looked very average especially in her scenes with Cesar Romero who was always on top form. Because of that, I didn't feel I needed to see her as part of Falcon Crest for an extended period which was a shame because the Skylar character had so much potential.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,924
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I think the opposite about Kim and Peter: Mr. Romero (who, after all, was just playing a cardboard copy of "Dallas"´s Clayton Farlow with a darker edge) always seemed to be about to explode into the Joker's mannerisms and wild faces but Novak was smart enough to play a character just channeling the image and public persona she had been developing for 30 years: the mysterious blonde always hiding away from the press. It was not a coincidence that her character Kit Marlowe was named just like one of her unused artistic names, which she herself suggested to the writers/producers (Kim is actually named Marilyn).

Even so, I always thought that when a guest star works out well in a supersoap, a one-season stint is the longest they should stay. Look at the few episodes with Lana Turner, Gina Lollobrigida, Celeste Holm or Robert Stack in it. And they all accomplished their job which was to serve the plot and make it advance.

There was always the possibility that their roles end up being "deconstructed" or simply stepped over by the show´s main stars in a long term. Regular, long-running characters should have been the priority in this genre but on "Falcon Crest" the guest stars post-Kim only ruined the main characters and force them to do the weirdest things...

upload_2019-2-1_20-58-25.jpeg

"Oh my Gawwwwddd! I think I´ve been fired..."​

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    Kim didn't outstay her welcome, which was important. I got the feeling after a while that 'TPTB' were using her character a bit to fill the void left by Julia, whenever she returned to life as a nun. Kit even teamed up with Julia's ex Tony and she became close to Emma. As for Kim's acting she must have been doing something right when Jane Wyman asked her if she would consider joining for season 7. How would Kit have fitted in; with Peter out of the picture, at this point?

The sixth season long story arc made for Kim was quite sufficient and her ending showed just how generous Peter was. The video below comprises scenes featuring the mysterious Kit:

An insider speaks about Kim Novak's guest role as Kit Marlowe, ('behind the scenes' from season 6, 1986 - '87):

"Kim plays a shady lady on the run, from European criminals. Her character poses as the stepdaughter of wealthy industrialist Peter Stavros. Tribute is also being paid to Kim's Hollywood legacy, by naming her character after her original nom du screen, Kit Marlowe."

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Arlene Halloran

Arlene Halloran Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I liked her even when she could be overbearing and Kit was more memorable than Eric Who? Oh that's right he was her kind of step brother.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Kim Novak couldn’t act when she was in Vertigo, and she couldn’t act 25 years later on Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  7. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +493
    I thought Kim was ok in the role, nothing spectacular.