Peyton Place I finally watched the 1957 movie!! roll on Tv series

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    I've seen a handful of episodes of the 60s television series but i didn't want to get into them too much until I watched the film, and I must say that I can see why PP was such a big hit in the
    Late 50s to the 60s!

The film is beautifully shot, the acting is second to none, Hope Lange as Selena stands out for me as does Diane Varsi as Allison, its a shame Selena was basically cut from the tv series, if her story was good enough and raw enough to have been included in the film which was released in 1957, right in the middle of the very sugar coated, conservative 1950s then surely a part of her story at least could've made it into the more liberal 1964 series?

I'm going to order the first season on DVD so here's to fun times ahead in 2018!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,453
    I can understand why you'd want to do that, but I view them as completely separate entities in terms of canon. The film and early episodes of the TV series both reinterpret Metallious's story in different ways.

PP seemed to get a little more toned down with every version. When the film was made there were complaints that some of the seedier elements of the book were removed. And before that, the book had been changed to make Lucas Selena's stepfather rather than her biological father as Metalious had originally written it.

Selena was a great character and it is a shame she was lost, but I think it's better to omit her than not do the story justice. I don't think prime time viewers in America would have been ready for that one.

Incidentally, I've read that Selina appeared in a daytime continuation of the tv series in the Seventies, but to the best of my knowledge she was a vastly different character without any of novel/film Selena's baggage.

Wonderful stuff. Enjoy!!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,138
    Yes, the 1957 movie is typical of that decade's self-presentation as somehow idyllic -- tragically idyllic since The Bomb was now hanging over the planet's head -- although the plot ostensibly takes place in the late-'30s.

But before you return to the 1964 TV series, you should perhaps check out the 1961 sequel RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE; it's not quite as good as the original film, and seeing Allison shift from wistful idealist to kittenishly brittle player (now in the form of Carol Lynley) is a bit startling, to say nothing of Lana's recasting (although Constance is less featured in the second film). But the contrasting highlight is Mary Astor (whose gothic persona is, for the horoscopically oriented, the ne plus ultra cinematic representation of the very essence of Scorpio Rising, both in performance and in actor).

Another nice thing about the PP franchise is how they acknowledge seasons, in keeping with Metalius' sensibilities. It's funny how little Hollywood product actually does that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,138
    True. Although it was more a matter of the sponsors and the networks not being ready. The now almost forgotten early-'60s legal series THE DEFENDERS was waaaay ahead of its time in terms of topicality, and the viewers managed to deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,415
    Would love to read what you think of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    Thanks @Mel 'O Drama! I cant wait to delve into the series! :-D

• Like Like x 1
  7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings: