I hate Paige

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Chris2, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I’m almost done with my re-watch of the show (I saw a good chunk of it during its original run, but missed seasons 9-12).

Paige is the most unlikeable character on the show. Greedy, icy, spoiled, deceitful. I don’t know why she’s on the show, because she’s not supposed to be a villain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Knotsfan61618

Knotsfan61618 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I love Nicolette Sheridan though. Without Paige in season 13 and 14, I don't know would have happened. And I think she was entertaining in season 8.

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,140
    Funny. I love Paige but hate Nicolette Sheridan.

4. AbbyCunningham

AbbyCunningham Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree!!!! I just found that she had no personality, no appeal, nothing to really be excited for. She wasn't really written or developed.

5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,420
    I think Paige was a "difficult" character (for various reasons) who developed into a natural Knots Landing character, and the same goes for the actress.
    Her introduction (rich family background, mysterious death/resurrection) was very Dynasty-esque, and one could wonder "why should this happen to Mack MacKenzie?"
    There was the age gap, she was a very old child/very young adult, there was the risk of the "Lucy Ewing" effect. How is she going to fit in?

They made a lot of effort introducing her mother, the use of flashback scenes (and so many!) was completely new to these prime time soaps - and btw, I think they should have done that on Dynasty.
    Personally, I had no problem with it, but I can understand why other fans thought it felt a bit forced upon.

The writers must have known that the romantic relationship between Paige & Greg wasn't everyone's cup of tea, so, all in all, it seemed as if the writers challenged themselves.

She was icy, but not villainous, I thought it made her a special and unique character.
    She never tries to be nice or to be loved or to be accepted - very much like Abby, actually.
    But Abby was a very charming and enchanting character, even if it really was a wolf in sheep's clothing, and her purpose was much more defined.

Paige gave everyone a lot to do or to think about, and that's good for a soap, I think.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,140
    I was being funny. Actually, I dislike them both, although I dislike Sheridan more because she really exists. They've got that bad, cold female Scorpio thing. Yuck. Tracey Scoggins, Veronica Hamel, Calista Flockhart, Bo Derek, etc... etc.

Cold, vampiristic, blech.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +365
    I've long disliked Nicolette Sheridan fairly intensely. Totally irrational of me when I've never had personal contact with her. Worse, it's all based on what somebody else reportedly said about her: She was the other woman in Harry Hamlin's life when married to FC's Laura Johnson. Allegedly, Ms Johnson told the divorce court: Ms Sheridan had had sex with Mr Hamlin in their matrimonial bed; and several times, Ms Johnson had found evidence of someone having gone through her clothes closet. One time, she'd caught Ms Sheridan wearing her furs & high heels. I went "tacky!", and that's been my measure of Ms Sheridan. I can't even find pleasure in her as an actress.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,207
    I loved Paige, especially at the Sumner Group.
    Her scenes with Bob, Anne, Claudia and Mrs. Richfield were always very enjoyable. :D
    Plus she totally convinced me of being a tough and capable business women, even at her young age i could have even imagined her running the company all by herself. :)

Looking forward enjoying her as Alexis on Dynasty!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Paige is one of my fav characters. I like how they didn't stray too far from the poker player character trait, one who rarely gives too much away.

It was totally fitting with her backstory. I thought she was brilliant throughout.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,302
    I loved Paige. She was icy, she was guarded and she was cunning but like Willie says she was never a villain. She didn't do nearly as much awfulness as Abby did. I didn't even like Abby for most of her time on Knots Landing. It wasn't until the Peter Hollister stuff that I actually saw that Abby had a heart. Until then she was a cold sociopathic slut to me. Abby would be mean for mean's sake. She'd toy with people like a cat with a mouse. It wasn't even out of some long complicated history she would have with them. That's just how she was.

I think Paige's coldness is really and truly understood and explained when we meet her mother. Paige had to be tough, she had to be self sufficient. She found it hard to trust people. And she was going to go out of her way to do everything her way on her own terms. Personally I liked all the flashbacks surrounding her backstory. I felt it breathed a bit of life into Knots by that stage. There was a bit of history and it wasn't that suburban cul-de-sac history of kids falling off their bike's or burnt casseroles. It was glossy and rich and mysterious.

I loved Paige's steely protective barrier, that front she had. And I love that behind that she did have a heart and she did feel things. She was definitely one of my favourite Knots Landing women, especially of the second half of the show.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +327
    Oh boy, how did I miss this thread??! Lol!!!!

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,420
    I've never seen her as a hateful or bitchy character. She knew what she wanted and sometimes she hurt people in the process.
    Not because she planned it or enjoyed it, but because she didn't care.
    Alexis, JR and Angela Channing were the villains who enjoyed torturing their nemesises or victims.

When Abby told Val: "I'm not saying we're having an affair and I'm not saying we're not. I am saying that I can have him any time I want him" it was simply stating a fact, and not necessarily to lash out at Valene. Well, she did ask!:lol:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,420
    Also, I don't think Abby could have been a JR or Alexis, because Knots was not a modern King's drama like the other soaps.
    She was Sid Fairgate's sister, and it wouldn't seem very plausible or appropriate if she had stormed into the cul-de-sac, declaring war on everyone.
    It wasn't that kind of fabulous, larger than life world, it wasn't a glamorous "Hatfields & McCoys".

However, as the sister/sister-in-law and neighbour, she definitely could be a pain in the ass. So I think she was only a villain by Knots standards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,302
    No... Not buying it. Abby was mean for mean's sake. And the sluttiest of all the sluttiest, well except for slutface Frankie Colby queen of sluts. She was a complete bitch to Val, Laura, even Gary when she wanted to be. She had no feelings for anyone but herself. Even Gary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,420
    But she didn't want Gary to punish Val or because of some personal vendetta.
    Well, yes, she was the Other Woman, but after the divorce she and Val behaved quite civil, especially by soap standards.
    But at least she was always honest with herself, and didn't have to fabricate excuses or motives to justify her actions. Unlike some other soap bitches.
    She was mostly a woman of opportunities and advantages, rather than being a bitch for the heck of it.

16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,177
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Leaving your addict, penniless daughter alone in L.A. living with her drug-dealer husband, while you go to do whatever fancy thing in Japan singing "Don´t Worry, Be Happy", well, I´d call that being a Big Beech. Being played by that Queen of Players that was Ms Mills didn´t redeem the Abster at all, soap life is not life AT ALL. And I´m sure that if she had had to kill Peter with her own hands to make him disappear, she would´ve done it!

[​IMG]

"Hi, my name is Abster Fairgate, I´m 18,
    and when I´m all grown up I´m gonna be a big beech!"

Actually, the better I know KL, the more convinced I am that the producing/writing team actually was hypocritical, pretentious and egotistical. Which of them? Well, who knows. Probably we should just blame CBS, and give only good loving to the Jacobs gang...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  17. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,012
    It's been years since I watched the later episodes of the show but I remember that I really liked the character of Paige and also enjoyed her romance with the cop, Tom. I didn't like her and Greg as a couple however...

18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,140
    No matter how they wrote her, or whatever motivation they gave her, Paige always read as hollow. It's the actress.

19. CMQ

CMQ Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Completely disagree - Paige was written as head-strong, guarded and completely self-sufficient with a hidden vulnerability - which is how the brilliant Miss Sheridan played her.

20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,140
    As I said, how she was written wasn't a problem. But there was very little 'brilliant' about how that cold, pinched, soulless girl played it -- she was competent, I guess, but she made the character as uninvolving as possible. Although the show around her was indeed brilliant and made the most of her.