1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

I remember Barbara Bel Geddes on her birthday

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Barbara Fan, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    Greetings from aomewhere hot and humid

I just wanted to post (as usual every year, on the week of ) that October 31st would have been Barbara Bel Geddes's 96th Birthday if she were alive today .................

What can I say about her that I haven't said before (sadly on a forum that is no longer here!)

Thankfully she has left a wonderful legacy behind both on TV and film, and I'm sure many more generations will appreciate her talents.

She was special - she touched my life and made a lasting impression on me, I will never forget her. I wish that I had met her - as its quite easy to meet Dallas cast members - but she was always elusive, reclusive and kept a very low profile in the land of Showbiz.

You gave Dallas a heart and a soul, it wasn't the same without you and you have been my favourite actress since I was a schoolgirl! I loved ya to bits and thanks to the wonderful casting of the original show, I feel blessed and lucky to have seen you on screen alongside all the other wonderful cast members.

http://pcbbg.tripod.com/id57.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    It's great that we can still watch and enjoy her work on film and TV but I always think it's a shame that recordings of some of her great stage performances weren't made. Due to being blacklisted by Hollywood in the 1950s, some of her best work was probably on Broadway but sadly her fans today will never get to appreciate that part of her career.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,116
    I don't think I knew this before and have just been absorbed in a bit of reading online about the HUAC. It looks fascinating. And not a little creepy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +147
    This is the scene that makes Patrick Duffy cry, thanks to our lovely Barbara:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +484
    All it took to get blacklisted from Hollywood in the 1950s was having suspected or real Communist friends and colleagues that you wouldn't betray to the HUAC. Good on Barbara for sticking to her principles.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. retrosonic

retrosonic Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Barbara was a product of the old Hollywood Studio System, where you signed a personal services contract, and the studio would send you for acting lessons, singing lessons, dancing lessons, How to "look", "touch", "smoke", " cry" and emote on camera. Then, they had the right to loan you out to any other studio they wanted. A bit harsh, but a lot of people did become big stars because of it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,556
    True the old studio system definitely had some flaws but at least back then actors and actresses had steady work for longer periods than today. So it offered some sort of stability in their lives I guess.

Also the stars of yesteryears were different from the young stars of today. More classy, more glamourous and with an air of mystery about them.

Anyway I never knew BBG had been blacklisted before either. It really is a shame that more theatre wasn't filmed back in the days. I think a lot of Vivien Leigh's work has also been lost due to it being on stage.

Back to BBG, she was mama on Dallas. Nobody could portray Miss Ellie like she did with such warmth and strength. You just gotta love that character and Barbara for what she brought to the show. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. retrosonic

retrosonic Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Karen: Agreed!! No one could have played Miss Ellie better than BBG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    One of my favourite moments of Miss Ellie (Barbara Bel Geddes)

For what some argue was a man's show I bet this story gave many men around the world a wake up call to the emotions a woman experiences with breast cancer. Credit to the writers for bringing to light what many had suffered in darkness.​

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    I'll say. Far too many today are obsessed with Instagram, duck lips, breast implants, butt lifts and that Kardashound family. I feel sad for them because of their desperate need to be loved by their followers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,596
    The whole being black listed due to HUAC has always been a bit of mystery to me and i have never seen her named in any bios on the subject as i would have loved to have known more on the subject.

Totally agree @Rove, i despair when i see who kids want to copy these days. Cheap, nasty, plastic non personalities with huge egos

• Like Like x 1
  12. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,612
    Barbara Bel Geddes is fortunate to have such a devoted fan as you. I always greatly enjoyed her performances. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    I only discovered a few years ago that she was blacklisted. After I watched the film Trumbo (excellent film by the way) which told the true story of blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, I decided to read more about the history behind the film. In several articles I read, I came across Barbara's name but I never found any specifics regarding exactly what she had done to prompt the action taken against her. Mostly people were found "guilty" of trivial matters like associating with someone who had left-wing sympathies.

The tragedy of the whole House Un-American Activities Committee was that the public was robbed of seeing so many fine actors and actress when they were in their prime. I would put Barbara in that category. Her film career wasn't particularly extensive and we can only speculate about the great film roles she might have played and the awards she could have won had she been able to pursue her film career in the 1950s.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    Miss you Mama xxx

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,800
    A few months ago I was advised to watch this movie. It gives some insight to what was occuring in the USA back then. I've also advised others to watch the movie as they were fans of Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad.

• Informative Informative x 1