1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Dallas Actors I Remember Mama and Barbara Bel Geddes Died 8.8.05

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Barbara Fan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    I just wanted to post that August 8th was the sad day that Barbara Bel Geddes passed away following a diagnosis of Lung cancer.

I always knew that one day Barbara would die - we all will - and I have always wondered how I would feel. She was getting older, and doesn't appear to have enjoyed the best of health over the years. When I heard the news on August 10th 2005 I felt like I had lost a friend, someone I knew, loved and cared about, without ever having met her. I hope that in her final months she didn't suffer, I couldn't bear that, and that her pain was well controlled. It doesn't seem fair that someone who had suffered before from breast cancer and heart disease should die from lung cancer. She had a rough ride health wise

Thankfully she has left a wonderful legacy behind both on TV and film, and I'm sure many more generations will appreciate her talents.

SHE TOUCHED MY LIFE AND MADE A LASTING IMPRESSION ON ME.
    I WILL NEVER FORGET HER.

I regret the loss of the old Forum and all the wonderful tributes made about her, I hope she knew how much she was loved.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,912
    Doesn't seem like 13 years since she passed away. She contributed hugely to the success of Dallas.

Swami

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Barbara Bel Geddes was one of the very best things about Dallas. She was one of the reasons as to why Dallas was such a big success. I remember reading a Ted Shackelford interview a few years back and he was talking about his time of knowing Barbara, and how many cigarettes she smoked. The cause of Barbara's death is right there, but in some ways it's remarkable she lived that long (2005) considering her previous breast cancer from the early 1970s and her heart problems in the mid 1980s, and she seems to have had a nice retirement after leaving Dallas.

I think I'm going to start another Dallas and Knots Landing marathon tonight. It's time I did it again. It's been 4 years since I last did a whole marathon of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Barbara Bel Geddes is so lucky to have someone so dedicated to her as you. She lived a great life that touched so many.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    She was certainly the first actor who drew me to the show. I'd had an initially snooty reaction to DALLAS, not caring much for daytime soaps and having no interest all in a cackling Tony Nelson in a cowboy hat and his redneck, white trash Texas family in all their crass, late-'70s disco-era grandeur.

Heh. How things quickly changed... I was familiar with most of the actors on the show, but I didn't know Bel Geddes at all. But my first reaction to her was: that's the one I like... In fact, she reminded me quite a bit of my maternal grandmother.

I eventually accepted their marginalizing her thru most of the series, but their using her less in the closing seasons when most of the original cast were gone really did prove Katzman was, as they say today, a misogynist. We needed more of Ellie then, if only to represent the Ewing home front, not see her edged out for another bleach-blonde in a pair of Daisy Dukes with beer in one hand and a revolver in the other.

Jeezus.

"You gave me up too soon, Lenny...."
    [​IMG]

"...And now Jock's gone..... and so is Bobby......and now Bobby's back.... and now, wait, I'm gone again. What -- I mean, like, huh...??"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,532
    The first time I saw Barbara Bel Geddes was in the film I Remember Mama and although it had a bravura performance by the star, the great Irene Dunne, Barbara was not overshadowed and was still able to leave a lasting impression in her supporting role.

A great actress, sorely missed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    Same here, it was Bobby and Pam for mini series but by S1 she was the one who caught my eye and could out act her co stars without saying a word.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    Totally agree and the crap she had to spout by the final couple of seasons. Im just so glad that so many complained re her "replacement" cough splutter - that must have given Uncle Lenny something to think about that people arent that gullible! or that he thought she wouldnt be missed, she was and not just by me!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,619
    The first time I saw Barbara Bel Geddes was in the film the Five Pennies aged 8, I didnt know who she was but i loved the film as a little girl
    When I saw her in Dallas I slowly made the connection that Miss Ellie was the "blonde lady" from 5 pennies with danny kaye

My other fav film aged 8 was Inn of 6th happiness with Ingrid Bergman and its funny that at that young age those 2 actresses would still be my favs about 100 years later lol

11. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +494
    I've just started a Dallas marathon 2 days ago, and I've decided to go all the way through for only the second time. I usually stop at Pam driving into the oil tanker. I've decided this time to analyze more closely just how badly Dallas declined, especially in the last 3 seasons. I remember it being a bit hard to finish first time round once I got to Season 12 DVD, such was the drop in quality, and I was going days between episodes by the last season after Barbara had left for good. Wish me luck.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    When I first began watching Dallas I only new of Larry Hagman from "I Dream Of Jeannie" and had a vague recollection of Patrick Duffy from "Man from Atlantis." My, how this series changed (and saved) my life. Barbara Bel shone in Dallas. Her background in theatre was just the requirement for the character of Miss Ellie. When a scene required a forceful approach Barbara Bel excelled, especially when dealing with Jock and JR. Momma was never afraid to stand up for herself or her family. I wish more momma's were like this. The world would be a better place.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mustard

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +494
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,159
    It's so nice to read all those tributes and also to be reminded of how many people's lives were touched by the phenomenon that was Dallas. There are millions of us of a certain age all over the world that all have that one thing in common, we all grew up watching Dallas.

• Like Like x 1