1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Still Can't Believe We Haven't Gotten Season 3 Yet On Dvd!

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by MarkSinacori, Jun 28, 2019.

1. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Actor/Writer
    Ratings:
    +135
    It's been what? Years since season 2 was released! By now they should have been able to do it. Or at least the next few seasons by now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 19 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5,532
    Is there still a major DVD market? I confess, I thought 'streaming' TV and films was the latest "big thing" in the same way everyone went from buying CDs to downloading music. They may be just waiting to see which streaming service makes them the best offer. Or any offer. :D

3. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    I think it depends on the market. Most people who listen to Pop music today don't purchase CDs; some recent releases by major artists haven't had physical releases. I listen to a lot of Classical music and there still is a market for Classical and Jazz CDs to which several smaller labels cater. I think it's the same with movies and television. Knowing that there are "old farts" out there (such as myself) who remember shows like "Knots Landing" and still prefer physical media I would hope there is a company out there that wants my business. I find it curious that "The Colbys" was released on DVD several years after "Knots Landing" and "Falcon Crest" DVDs were no longer being released.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    I think that was because The Colbys could be bundled as a complete set quite quickly being only two seasons and they were aware that Dynasty fans had been as robbed as they could already. It was a quick cash in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,516
    I still want my favorite shows on DVD. Streaming services are fickle and can exchange their selections at any moment. If you own something on DVD you can always revisit it. If you have streaming service your favorite show can disappear if it is no longer getting enough views.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +716
    Warner Brothers should release a boxset of all 14 seasons. They've had years to do it. A rumour I've heard is that Seasons 3-7 have a lot of copyright issues regarding music. Perhaps that's the reason for the delay. It's a shame because a lot of Dallas fans would discover a whole new series with Knots Landing and get the complete Ewing picture at last.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +297
    With Dallas being added to Amazon's IMDB streaming network and now Warner Brothers starting their own streaming network, I wouldn't be surprised if Knots Landing and Falcon Crest appear on that. They'll need as much content as possible to fill it out so it would only make sense to include well known shows like that. Most streaming services have a combination of new and old shows, so Knots and FC could fit for their older content that isn't in circulation. I know for sure I'd watch!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    they still make cd's and i still buy them, they still make dvd's and i still buy them, here's a better question why hasn't Dallas and Knots Landing been put on blu-ray? the cases are better for one thing. they also than could put more extra's on it too, is it music? i heard a long time ago that it was cause they didn't sell well enough i haven't seen past season 1 yet of Knots Landing but i hear that once Season 3 starts the show is than when it started getting good so you'd think they'd put season 3 out to test that theory. wasn't Dynasty selling awful until they got to the Joan Collins era and than the sales took off? or is my memory wrong on that?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard Avery

Richard Avery Soap Chat Newbie EXP: 9 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As someone who's currently doing a watch of the entire "Knots Landing" series (via homemade DVDs bought online, unfortunately) and has gotten up to Season 8 so far, I can reconfirm that the music copyrights almost certainly would be a hefty price for Warner Bros. or any other company (like Shout! Factory) to pay for an official DVD release.

The Lisa Hartman characters (Ciji Dunne and Cathy Geary) sing quite a few major hits on various episodes from Seasons 4-7. Among those songs are two Journey smash hits -- "Open Arms" and "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" -- that I'm sure would be very pricey just by themselves. But Hartman also sings Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time"; Pat Benatar's "We Belong"; You Keep Me Hangin' On" (a huge hit for the Supremes in the 1960s, then again for Kim Wilde in the mid-1980s); "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You" (a big hit for Laura Branigan in 1983 and Michael Bolton in 1990); and several other examples.

Those songs sung by Hartman were often highlights of those episodes, so if "Knots" ever is released in full on streaming or in a DVD/Blu-ray box set, it would be sacrilegious if those songs were replaced or if those scenes were cut.

I still would love a complete official DVD box set of "Knots Landing." And throw in some cast interviews and bonus content to boot while these actors are still with us! But given the music rights issues mentioned above and the fact that "Knots" never reached the ratings peaks enjoyed by "Dallas" and "Dynasty" (two 1980s prime-time soaps that have been released in full on DVD), I'm not holding my breath.

That's why I took the plunge a few months back and found the homemade "Knots" DVDs online through a couple of sellers. It's been highly enjoyable watching the whole series, even if the quality of the video and sound from those SoapNet tapings is often spotty.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,516
    Well they could at least give us season three on DVD. It doesn't have a lot of music copyright in that one. I have a feeling the sales would go up with season three too as that's where the Gary-Val-Abby triangle starts, which was one of the show's most longest running plots.

• Like Like x 2
  11. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    oh hell a couple years ago there was a guy on you tube who uploaded the entire series and i took all of them from you tube and put them to disc. i dunno if they work or not cause i haven't watched anything but season 1 but so far season 1 is just fine. i have no plans at all for selling copies of that at all these are just for me

12. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    The music copyright issue can be an odd one. Miami Vice was laden down with pop music and that series made it to DVD with all of the music intact (although getting all of the music signed off was a slow process). Melrose Place opted to just replace pop music with generic hits and I've read that the iconic Dawson's Creek "I Don't Wanna Wait" theme has been replaced with generic music on some streaming services. So it seems to be down to whether the production companies deem it worthwhile or not to go seeking music clearance. Maybe they're just not that bothered. Also, there may be effort involved in remastering tapes that they can't be bothered with. I remember watching repeats on CBS Drama and the tapes they were working off were really awful in certain parts. They looked like something that had been recorded on VHS from the show's first run (the episode that sticks in my mind was Joshua's final episode. Both sound & picture were awful).

Back to your original question, I'd say the full series would sooner show up on a streamer than on DVD. Best bet being the Warner Bros platform that others have mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    But with really great shows like Knots and Peyton Place it's not just about entertainment: they also have artistic, historical and educational value.
    To deprive the American youth of these media treasures borders on criminality.
    I think they'd have a strong case in court.

• Like Like x 2
  14. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    to use music rights as good examples Miami Vice, China Beach hell the wonder years as well are all great shows that took years to have them work out deals so they can use the music.
    another thing when it comes to music now get this, Supernatural a show i love to death when that is on Netflix they can't get the rights to certain songs in various episodes so they replace the music and it's i think something that hurts the show, i dunno if they use generic music or not as i don't watch it on netflix at all. and it's netflix that can't get the rights on the dvd's in blu-ray's the right music is on it.

which goes to show that buying the physical release is far far better than watching it digital. another show that they gave up on for rights i think is SNL they realized how expensive it was going to be so no season 6 or hell season 15 to throw a random number out there. and sadly No Crossing Jordan that also had music that would need to be paid to use for the dvd or blu-ray releases. i hope they finish putting those out someday. Cold Case is another one i doubt will make it to both or one format because of the same thing music rights they really can be a bitch i think.i get they want to be paid but they can get really greedy on how much they want to be paid and that's the issue i think. hell Doctor who has run into replacing music for

the US dvd release as well. i dunno about their blu-ray releases yet. of the Original show i mean. i think it's more to do like i said season 1 and 2 just weren't big sellers like they thought they'd be. i really do hate it when they start putting a show on dvd or blu-ray and than stop putting it out, i say if you start putting a show any show on any format than just damn well finish the same thing. i get if it don't sell well but than don't start what you aren't going to finish. some shows like Knots for example didn't take off right away and it was awhile before it was a huge hit so those early seasons before that happened aren't going to be as popular, kinda like how the later years of Dallas or Doctor who in the 80's anyways the last 2 doctors

aren't as popular as the ones from the early 80's for example. you are going to have that is my point but than what do know ya know? lol

15. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,871
    Though it would more than likely have become an issue as we got to Season Four, I'm not convinced the music rights business is the main cause for the hold up.

After Season One, WB complained that sales were "softer" than expected, which was why there was no Season Two for another three years. I think WB just had unrealistically high expectations around sales. They probably assumed it would sell in Dallas-sized quantities immediately and, as has already been said, that's just not going to be the case with the first few seasons.

I'd echo what's been said about preferring a physical product, but DVD is a dying medium. WB have now reissued the first two seasons of Knots on DVD under their Warner Archive Collection subsidiary, which I assume is some kind of MOD deal. Even if the remaining seasons were released in this format that would be something - albeit a very expensive way to collect it.

If they did continue, sales would improve. But I doubt it would be enough for WB. The few people I know who remember the series usually seem to remember Ciji and Val's Babies with great fondness and that's pretty much it. Casual viewers would probably snap up a decently priced complete series box set, but would hesitate to buy the series piecemeal. We're in the age of binge watching and instant gratification. Very few people would be willing to watch twenty two episodes and then wait a year or three in the hope the next episodes may come along. It's a very different world to when the first seasons of Dallas were released individually a decade and a half ago.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Richard Avery

Richard Avery Soap Chat Newbie EXP: 9 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree that if "Knots Landing" were to be further released on DVD and/or Blu-ray at this point (still a long shot), a complete series release would be the way to go. Releasing 11 (!) more seasons one at a time just wouldn't be very feasible.

A "Knots Landing" complete series box set would appeal to a decent-sized group of hardcore fans, in my opinion, but a couple of problematic issues are the music rights for those Lisa Hartman songs and the length of the series -- it would take some time to clean up 14 seasons' worth of episodes. Plus such a set would be quite massive and would need to have a pretty high retail price. My preference still would be a DVD/Blu-ray box set, but I would take a streaming option over nothing at this point. That happened with "St. Elsewhere" late last year -- it was released in full as a streaming option on Hulu after years of fans waiting for it to be distributed in any format -- and I was really happy to binge on those episodes.

There have been a few series -- "The Wonder Years," "WKRP in Cincinnati" and the 1960s "Batman" show come to mind -- that were released in full on DVD and/or Blu-ray in recent years after fans had all but given up hope that they would be. "WKRP" and "The Wonder Years," in particular, had music-rights issues that, from what I understand, had to be navigated carefully. But apparently they were handled in a way that satisfied all but the most severe nitpicks.

The difference between those series and "Knots," however, is that "Knots" lasted 14 seasons instead of four or five, so it would require much more work to assemble.

I've always thought a company like Shout! Factory might be the most realistic option for putting together a complete home release of "Knots." Shout has completed series such as "WKRP," "Hill Street Blues," "Simon & Simon," "Lou Grant," "Barney Miller," "Maude," "The Jeffersons," "The Facts of Life," "One Day at a Time," "Diff'rent Strokes" and "The Paper Chase" on DVD -- just to name some! And not all of those shows even had ratings that were as good as those that "Knots" received.

Personally, I got tired of waiting for "Knots" to be officially released, so I went ahead this year and found a couple of online sellers who have helped me piece together Seasons 3-14 on DVD, recorded from old SoapNet reruns from the early 2000s. It's not an ideal solution -- it's been pretty costly to buy those DVDs, plus the quality of the sound and video are decent at best -- but it's been worth it to me to finally see the series in full.

That said, I'll be among those cheering the loudest if "Knots" is ever officially released in full on DVD/Blu-ray or on streaming.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  17. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,871
    Yes - releases like those you mentioned do give a glimmer of hope regarding the release of Knots.

Back when TVShowsOnDVD had an actual website they had areas which showed the "most wanted" by volume of request. The Wonder Years and Batman were right at the top of that list. I'm not sure where Knots would fall there. Going by comments on places like Amazon there is a degree of demand for the series to be released. It's just a question of whether it's enough and if it has been heard.

Spot on. Shout! Factory have been mentioned here a few times over the years and I seem to remember they had their own forum which some years ago had a Knots thread. They do very good work in restoring old series to former glories and I'd be up for a Knots release from them.

The only downside would be the expense and limitations for the many overseas fans. As a relatively small setup, Shout! don't have a European arm, so all their DVDs would need to be imported at great expense. And they also region lock their DVDs. But to get Knots on DVD neither of those factors would stop me snapping it up.

A year or so ago, Shout! released further volumes of the Peyton Place DVDs about a decade after pulling the plug with Volume Two (they did then pull the plug again after Volume Five, but at least they gave it another shot). With the release pattern of Knots, this gave me a sliver of hope that all is not lost.

Great point. And that's why it's so maddening that Knots has been overlooked. It's not like nobody watched it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. darkshadows38

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +338
    or bought or so they claim. no i get why you'd why a box set of it i really do, i mean Dallas does have one but that was after they put them all out 1st. i've i think said it before, if you are going to put a show on dvd you should put the whole damn thing on dvd or blu-ray. or at least try again for season 3, hell season 2 came out HOW Long ago ? it's been years and i would not be surprised at all if that was the season where fans really got into the show and than fell in love with it. kinda how like in the early years of Dallas more sets i'm guessing sold than the later years. or Doctor who certain doctors like Tom Baker sold the most and than you have McCoy who i'm guessing sold the least. but at least the BBC put them all out on dvd and now blu-ray. they know fans love different doctors and fans love different stories as well more than others. i'm a completist though i prefer having and entire series rather than

an just one or two seasons. i never see Dallas in stores anymore sadly or else i would get the rest of the show. who knows if i'm not burnt out by season 8 i just might get season 9 from Amazon.