I think by now we should have gotten season 3 on DVD...

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by MarkSinacori, Apr 12, 2018.

1. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Perfect Strangers is getting season 3 now on DVD and they took a long, long time to release that. I think by the same company. Plus, most older shows should be focused on now to get releases, as a lot of them already have been completed like Dynasty, Dallas, The Colby's, Melrose Place, BH 90210, Party Of Five, and many many others that were sitcoms back in the days.

There are a small handful of shows that need more seasons to release or haven't been released at all and this show is one of them.

I would think once the company is done releasing all the older series in full sets, they will start to focus on Knots Landing and Falcon Crest to release the rest of both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,436
    Oh I wish they would release more of Knots Landing on DVD. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MarkSinacori

MarkSinacori Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +123
    In time they will have no choice. Most of the old series they have will all be fully released and then they will have to start working on releasing more seasons. If we don't get anything in the next 3 years, I doubt we will get anything beyond season 2. But most series have already had full releases on DVD by now as most shows started getting released in the early 2000s and some a little later.

4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Nah. They'll just keep re-packaging their big sellers ad infinitum. Why release Knots when they can simply re-package Friends for the twenty third time and make some easy money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    That mystery project that some of the principal actors (especially DM) were speaking of several months ago could very well have been them getting together to do some 'extras' for a DVD release. Even if it was just a 'best of' compilation, it would be a nice anniversary tradition to start.

But I don't see the musical clearances and other red-tape issues any less of an issue today than they were ten years ago, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    It seems the issue with Knots Landing, and many other shows, is the music rights. I know that's what halted the releases some ten years back, and I'm certain that would halt them now. If anything, the music variances are more expensive today. The only way to get the entire series of Knots Landing is to do as I did, buy the bootlegs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    How involved would it be to produce movie-length re-edits of important storylines? That would potentially more coherent than a collection of disjointed episodes. Maybe the stars could do voiceovers or even film transition scenes set in the present day in which they recall the events.

8. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    If they create a "new" product from the old episodes, then they would have to get permission or waivers from everyone involved in the original product, and compensate most of them. They were contracted and paid years ago for their performance/work, so re-broadcasting those episodes "as is" doesn't involve re-negotiation of payment, but when you take that work, "re-mix" it or tack it onto some other project that involves making money off it, it's considered a "new work" and everyone appearing in it or contributing to it should get paid for it (according to the unions).

The actors (and writers, directors, and others) have the right to refuse permission to use their likeness in creating a new product (witness the brouhaha over Constance McCashin's face/voice not being used in the reunion miniseries). If they agree, then union laws dictate they be compensated monetarily, since some producer is making money using their work to make "new" money. In the case of the writers of the original episodes, they'd have to be contacted and given their piece of the pie, as well. This would be a lot of hoops to jump through. Some of those involved might not even be alive, complicating the issue of compensation. The dreaded "music clearances" would also rear its ugly head, just as they do for regular DVD releases.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,629
    I wonder how many songs were used in the shows run? Would Warner Bros or whoever it is owns the rights have to pay one lump sum to every writer/producer for their songs or would they have to give a percentage from every sale of every season set? I'm not quite sure how it works.

10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,629
    I don't get why they bothered with the first two season releases if they weren't going to bother with the rest due to music issues. Surely the music on the show wasn't a surprise to them?

11. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Maybe they can just blur CMcC's image all throughout the series on the DVD's and alter her voice to make it sound like the Borg from Star Trek.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    Presumably they did intend to continue but sales were not high enough to justify it. As others have pointed out the music issue doesn't really come into play in a major way until season four anyway.

13. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    The seasons with Lisa Hartman as a part of the ensemble are those in which the variances for the music would definitely by the priciest. Like many here have said, that doesn't come into play until Season Four. The songs used post-Hartman are more or less CBS studio recordings, where they not? I mean didn't artists like Glenda Farrell and Michele Lee, not "major" singers, sing a variety of the tunes. In that case, I don't think the variances would be too high. Lee, I'm sure, would certainly be on board with getting the rest of the series released. It seems the majority of the difficulty is going to come from the handful of seasons Hartman was in the cast.

Keep in my this view is coming from a viewer that has yet to complete the series. I've only made it halfway through Season Nine, so I couldn't tell you about the music used in those later years. It was just a thought I had and decided to toss in here, free of charge, of course. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +649
    That is true-- not just for this, but for a handful of Sony shows as well (Silver Spoons, Who's The Boss, etc.). I guess if it's not Seinfeld or Friends or similar, it's not really getting out!

15. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Murphy Brown is, from my understanding, another well sought-after show, but only Season One has found a home on DVD.