Peyton Place Ideas for a remake.

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by Ked, May 29, 2018.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,830
    Hey, that was my idea!:D

2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Oh yes, I remembered. :) I mentioned in one of my previous posts, in the section discussing how I'd end each season, that the Season 4 cliffhanger was inspired by your idea. :D

3. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I hope you were able to read more of my previous posts... because I thought up more stuff for continuing Allison's story:

Season 4: She gets a full-time job at the Peyton Place Newspaper (she had worked for it part-time back in Seasons 1 and 2) and moves in with Selena and Joey. Then the incident with her married lover, Lewis Jackman, dying in a car crash happens. Allison is confronted by Lewis' pregnant wife, but Allison lies and says Lewis had broken things off with her, and had intended to reconcile with his wife. Comforted, Mrs. Jackman goes back to her home in New York.

Rodney tries to propose to Allison, but she, figuring out what he intends to do, quickly makes it clear that she only wants to be friends with him. Rodney is put out, but pretends to shrug things off. Selena is irritated with Allison, but the latter confesses she's far too afraid that things won't work out between her and Rodney, and she couldn't stand it if he ended up not loving her anymore. Selena, having been abandoned by Ted during her trial, emphasizes.

When Marion Partridge succeeds in passing the zoning law that forces Selena and Joey out of their house, Selena has a quickie-marriage to Lew Miles and moves in with him. Knowing she couldn't possibly impose and that she must live *somewhere*, Allison asks her mother if she may move back in for a while. Constance welcomes her daughter with open arms.

Not long after, Allison becomes involved with blind Chris Webber. Rodney is jealous, but that doesn't stop him from helping Chris out when the latter gets into trouble (though I don't know yet what the trouble will be). Even though Allison made it clear from the start that she wanted to keep things casual, Chris develops deeper feelings for her anyway, and proposes. She turns him down, insisting she just didn't want to get married. Stung, Chris lashes out and tells Allison that she's incapable of love...

...but Selena points out that if that were true, Allison never would have returned to Peyton Place to help her.

Next comes the infamous incident where Allison, walking along the beach, discovers the dead body of Ann Howard on the bluffs. She is forced to enter Dr. Rossi's beach house (the very house where, back in Season 2, Allison stabbed her father to death) in order to phone Matthew Swain, who tells her to stay put while he calls the police. Dr. Rossi comes in and finds Allison in a state: seeing Ann dead and being back where she killed Elliot takes its toll on her.

Allison refuses to be hospitalized over this, however. She's sick of going there every time she has a shock. She even tries to force the incident behind her and ignore it. Even when she has a nightmare about Ann, Elliot, Lewis and Nellie Cross. This results in Allison starting to sleepwalk.

She ends up walking through the town in the middle of the night, and wanders into the woods, and comes across the house of Jack Chandler... who is murdering his wife. Once he's finished, he looks up and sees Allison staring in at him through the window. He rushes out and is about to attack her... except he notices that she continues to stare through the window, completely oblivious to him. Unnerved, Jack begins backing away, wondering if Allison is even real... but when she turns and starts walking away, Jack goes after her. He follows her all the way back to her house, which has the front door wide open.

After waiting a few more moments, Jack races back home and covers up the murder, hiding his wife's body. He returns to the MacKenzie house the next day to inquire if "the sleepwalking young lady" was alright. Constance and Allison are shocked by this - although they quickly realize it must be true, since Allison had been complaining earlier about feeling exhausted despite sleeping all night.

Constance uses this to finally convince Allison to go into therapy. Meanwhile, Jack begins stalking her, paranoid that she might end up remembering seeing him killing his wife.

The therapy does end up working for Allison, who goes through the usual "falling for the shrink" deal, but said shrink is professional and gets her to realize its all just transference. (The reason I'm not having the therapist fall for Allison is that, already, a lot of men have fallen for her, or have become obsessed with her. Perhaps the therapist ends up meeting Betty through Allison, and has an affair with her?)

In the season finale, Allison attends the opening of the new Harrington Amusement Park. She meets up with both Rodney and Chris, while Jack Chandler continues to watch her from afar. And when the fatal accident occurs, Allison, along with Rodney and Chris, are trapped beneath a load of debris. The season ends with Costance screaming the names of Allison, Michael, Selena and Joey.

Season 5: Allison awakens to darkness, but soon is able to make out Rodney and Chris on either side of her. She holds both of their hands as they wait to be dug out. Chris suddenly tells her, "I can see you. ...I can see you now!" ...before dying from his wounds. Allison lets go of his hand and clings to Rodney.

Allison is the first one to be pulled from the wreckage. As she's being laid on a stretcher, she tells her mother that Chris is dead, and Rodney is still in there. Its only a little while longer before Rodney and Chris' body are pulled out as well.

At the hospital, Allison is told one of her legs is broken, while the other is sprained. Rodney has a broken leg as well, and a broken arm. Both must be put in wheelchairs, but they're also told that they should both heal and be walking again in time.

There are others who suffered some injuries: Lew Miles has a broken leg, but he's able to get around with a pair of crutches. He's told he'll make a full recovery too. Betty Anderson is the least injured, having no broken bones and only a few cuts that only need bandages. Things are much more grim for Norman Page, who has lost an eye and must now wear an eyepatch, and for Selena Cross, who has lost her arm and gets a hook-hand. (There are other characters who have died, but they're all minor/recurring characters. One of them I'm thinking is Eli Carter, who is based off Eli Carson from the original TV series.)

Jack Chandler continues stalking Allison, daring to get even closer now that she can't get away from him as fast.

Then comes an incident that shakes the town harder than the carnival accident: Leslie Harrington is found murdered. And the suspects are endless (especially since a lot of people blamed Leslie for the accident that took the lives and limbs of several townsfolk).

Rodney is distraught, and Allison, along with all their friends, do their best to comfort him, even declaring they won't rest until they find out who the murderer is. Rodney himself declares he intends to kill whoever murdered his father.

As the investigation goes on, Allison does as much snooping around as she can in her condition, going over as many clues and pieces of evidence she can find... and eventually...

...she ends up remembering seeing Jack Chandler murdering his wife... only she remembers it right when she's alone with him, at the newspaper. He has a gun, and he forces her to write out a letter saying that she's leaving Peyton Place again. Jack then forces Allison to wheel herself outside with him following, threatening to shoot her and anyone else nearby if she makes a sound.

Jack brings Allison back to his house, and prepares to murder her... only for Norman to burst in and tackle Jack. The gun falls to the floor as both men wrestle, and Allison throws herself out of her wheelchair to seize the gun. She fires a shot but doesn't hit anyone - it wasn't her intention to. It was to get Jack to freeze and order him into a corner. Norman calls the police, and Jack is arrested.

The remainder of the season focuses on finding who murdered Leslie Harrington. Allison and Rodney eventually are able to get out of their wheelchairs, and Lew is able to set aside his crutches.

When Joey Cross' school puts on the play "Peter Pan" and Selena is cast as both Mrs. Darling and Capt. Hook, Allison decides to audition for the part of Smee. She gets it, and she and Selena have a swell time in their roles.

Towards the end of the season, the murderer is found (haven't decided who it is yet), and Rodney decides to leave Peyton Place for college. Allison is the last person to see him and waves him off, telling him that, while going away might be good for him, there are still people here who love him... and will wait for him.

Season 6: I haven't got much in the way of stories for Allison this season... except for one significant one: Matthew Swain dies. I haven't decided if its because of natural causes, or if he's murdered as well (I'm reluctant to have it be the latter, because its too soon after Leslie's murder to have another, especially of another main character).

Either way, he has left the Newspaper to Allison. She is now the new Newspaper Editor of Peyton Place... only some of the workers quit, because they don't believe Allison has the experience or capabilities to run it. Determined to prove herself and to honor Uncle Matt's memory, Allison hires new workers and throws herself into the business.

At some point, though, Allison begins to doubt herself - and Uncle Matt's intentions - as well. Constance suggests that maybe Matthew intended to live longer, so that by then Allison would have more experience. This helps reassure Allison that Uncle Matt did indeed have faith in her, so she doubles down on her efforts. She even realizes that she already knew a lot of how the newspaper worked - thanks to Matthew subtly teaching her all these years.

Towards the end of the season, Rodney returns. By coincidence, Allison is standing in the exact place where she had waved him off the previous year, and sees him drive up. He gets out of his car and she embraces him (whispering huskily in his ear, "Oh Rodney!"). He apologizes; he hadn't heard about Matthew's death until recently.

Season 7: Constance's bookstore receives a new novel titled "Samuel's Castle," written by "Rachel Welles."

The whole town is soon buzzing about this "scandalous" book... with some residents noticing a similarity to Peyton Place. While reading it herself, Constance is shocked and horrified once she realizes who the author really is: Allison.

She confronts her daughter, who reveals she had started writing the book while she was away in New York during Season 3, and finished it sometime in Season 4. She has spent Seasons 5 and 6 organizing and editing the whole story, "disguising" it.

"But not disguising it enough!" Constance snaps. "The whole town will turn on you, you'll be ostracized!"

"If Peyton Place wants me to leave," says Allison, "then I'll leave. I've done it before, I'll do it again. But it won't stop me from writing the sequel my publisher wants."

Just as Constance predicted, another town resident figures out what the book is really about... and who the author really is.

The resident is none other than Marion Partridge, who vows to make "that little $lut" pay for slandering her character. She intends to sue for libel, only her husband tells her she won't have much of a case, as the character based on Marion bears a different name, and even has a slightly different appearance. That doesn't matter to Marion, who decides she must make not only Allison pay, but also everyone else connected to her: Constance, Michael, Selena, Norman, etc...

But then something happens: Marion's husband, Charles, snaps... and kills his wife.

In a state of shock, Charles leaves his house and stumbles into a place where a lot of the townsfolk have gathered. He bluntly says that he just killed his wife...

...and everyone proves just how much they hated Marion Partridge when they all agree to give Charles an alibi ("He was here with us all night, officer!") and stage things to make it look like a burglary.

For a while, the residents of Peyton Place are quite happy that they don't have to deal with Marion anymore... except in one scene, we witness Jennifer Burbank Carter (the new wife of Ted Carter, who abandoned Selena in Season 3) say and do things that make it clear she is the next generation's Marion Partridge.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,830
    Why not Jack Chandler? It would be more unexpected than the kidnapping-saved by Norman scene.
    Gosh, that's a far cry from our "poetry-Allison" (unless she really believed she was Rachel Welles when she was in New York).
    Oh! I want this to be a fatal car accident. The town's folk (including Constance) rush to the scene to see what happened, a lot of commotion etc.
    Then the driver (out of his car, obviously) turns around and looks Constance straight in the eyes.
    It turns out to be the handsome, "framed" stranger who had been hanging on the wall in Constance's living room for all those years - "Mr. MacKenzie" (not the driver's real name).
    And how ironic that this fictional-fictional character from the very beginning would silence the town's biggest bully once and for all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Because then it would seem like such a waste, of both a character and a plotline. Besides, I want Norman to have a heroic moment: in Season 4, I plan on him killing his mother (which would make the third season in a row where a child must kill their parent for their own survival; S2 had Allison kill Elliot, S3 had Selena kill Lucas), although I still haven't figured out just how or why he does yet (maybe she finds out about him and Lew). Either way, Norman has fearsome mixed feelings over it (fear, guilt and regret... but also relief and a sense of freedom), and he ends up losing his eye in the accident (which he considers punishment for what he's done), so I'd like for him to experience some redemption in rescuing the first person who ever gave him a chance.

Huh? Oh, you must think I plan on having Allison be *exactly* like Mia Farrow's version. While I do plan on there being similarities, I plan on Allison also being more like the one from the book: more sexual, more adventurous, more defiant. She does start off the series seeming like an innocent little virgin, but when she starts dating Rodney, she tells him at one point, "I'm never going to get married, I'm only going to have lovers!" which makes Rodney realize there's more to Allison than he originally thought.

Its true, that at the end of Season 2, she wanted to no longer be Allison MacKenzie (hence why she cuts her hair and gets new clothes), so it possible she came up with a fake name while in New York. Only then it seems like Lewis Jackman would have addressed her as "Rachel" while he was in Peyton Place... not unless she told him to call her by her real name. Because I want the town residents to recognize not the name "Rachel Welles", but the contents of the book.

....darn it! Now I'm torn... I still want Charles Partridge to be the one who kills her... hm, then again...

Maybe Charles starts to attack his wife (strangles her? hits her?), but he either stops himself or she manages to get away, jumps in her car and drives away frantically... only to crash right into another car (or she swerves to avoid him and crashes into a pole or something) and die. Then what you described happens.

There! That can be what happened. Thank you! :D

6. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I just realized, though... Constance picked out the photo while she was still pregnant with Allison, and towards the end of Season 7, Allison has turned 23. So "Mr. MacKenzie" would have to have aged pretty well in order for Constance to instantly recognize him...

In fact, the actor would have to be cast in the first season, but it would be a picture of him in his mid/late 20s that makes any appearance. Imagine getting cast on a show, and having to wait 7 years before you actually get to appear in a scene! Not only that, but what if that was the *only* scene that "Mr. MacKenzie" appeared in? I don't think we'd need him around for any storyline, since the irony of him causing the death of the person who's caused the most trouble for his "wife" and "daughter" would be enough. I can see it now:

"Mr. MacKenzie" turns around, and happens to look Constance right in the eyes. Constance stares back, and for a moment, she can't understand why... until the camera starts cutting back and forth between this man's face and the photo of Allison's "father." Constance's eyes widen even more, but the man doesn't know what she's thinking, and only assumes she's stunned by the wreckage, and turns away, a little shaken himself. We get an overhead shot of the scene before everything goes to black, and the episode ends.

The next episode can start off with Marion Partridge's funeral... a very small one with scant ceremony. In fact, I think it'd be hilarious if the whole town casually waves off her death... or better yet, throws a small celebration party. :lol: After that, nobody mentions Marion for the remaining few episodes. Not even Charles... who perhaps gets involved with another woman almost right away.

But "Mr. MacKenzie" is never seen again, his absence explained in passing: he was merely passing through Peyton Place on his way to another town when Marion swerved in front of him. No charges were pressed, since witnesses say that it was Marion's driving that caused the accident. And since there was no damage to his own car, he carried on with his journey, completely unaware of the favor he did to his "wife" and "daughter."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,830
    I agree.
    Yes!! That would make more sense.

Unknown person or not, he is part of the Peyton Place history, and I just wanted to do something with it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    And you came up with a magnificent idea! :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    @Willie Oleson Few more things:

-I think when Constance sees "Mr. MacKenzie", I think Allison should be there too. It just seems like too much of a big moment for Allison to miss out on. Plus it would be kind've heartwarming that the childhood fantasy Allison was forced to let go of, would come back in some (albeit slightly twisted) way.

-A while back, I was skimming through some old episodes, and came across one where Allison had taken Kim Schuster and her mother to a puppet show. They went backstage and met up with an Asian girl. I don't remember her name, but I think I'd include her as a more prominent character in the remake as well. She starts off as just another student in Allison's class, though for a while I couldn't decide what it is her parents do. At first I considered having them be dry-cleaners, only I didn't really like that idea. Then, the other day, when I went out for lunch at a Chinese restaurant (one of my favorite things to do), I realized that could be what her parents own. Their daughter would work there part-time, and it would give the show a chance to have a new/exotic atmosphere once in a while.

-In Season 7, when Michael Rossi is on trial for murder, Selena, now Mrs. Peter Drake, has her lawyer husband represent the doctor. It's her way of paying him back for helping her back in Seasons 1 and 3.

-Ted Carter's new wife, Jennifer Burbank, would be cast to look like Hope Lange - the actress who played Selena in the 1950s movie.

-In Season 1, Betty has a dance off with Allsion, based off the one she had with Rita in the original TV series:

The idea is that Betty is trying to win Rodney back... by almost giving him a lap dance (@ 7:15). But Allison surprises everyone by giving just as sexualized a dance. And soon, it seems like both girls have forgotten about Rodney and are simply focused on out-dancing the other. Not sure how the scene ends, though having a fight break out seems like a viable option. :lol: Another detail about this scene would be that Norman takes on the role that Original!Allison had in the show: sitting like a wallflower and watching wide-eyed.

-At Allison's 17th birthday, when Rodney turns out all the lights so the teens can pair up and start making out in the dark, Norman sneaks away to hide in the kitchen. However, Lew was already in there, looking for some girl to kiss, and when the kitchen door opens, he hears a girl giggle from out in the hall. Thinking said girl has entered the kitchen, Lew takes "her" into his arms and starts passionately kissing "her." Norman is caught off guard and is too stunned to fight back... and slowly melts into the kiss. However, it doesn't take too long for each boy to realize they aren't kissing a girl. That's when Constance comes in (to the living room, not the kitchen) and turns on the light, and starts yelling at Allison. Lew and Norman sneak out the back and jump the fence, and awkwardly avoid each other for awhile.

Norman ends up having a sleepless night, and later on has a recurring nightmare of jumbled images of having sex with Allison and kissing Lew before being "rescued" by his mother. I'm thinking of taking your idea of Norman stalking Betty, and having it begin because he's desperate to "cure" himself (he figures, Betty Anderson is the most sexual girl in town; if she can't "cure" him, no one can). I'm thinking eventually, Dr. Rossi finds out what Norman's been up to, and basically tells him, "There is no cure. This is something you're going to have to live with."

10. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    One more thing: I know I said I'd have there be 7 seasons for New Peyton Place, but I'd also have there be 30 episodes every season. Ambitious? Yes. But considering the vast amount of characters that the original novel, movie and TV series have, it could be seen as both a challenge and an opportunity to explore as many storylines with every character as possible.

Plus, the show's 100th episode would happen in Season 4, when Allison has returned to Peyton Place. And the 200th episode will happen in the 7th (last) season. Each would be an opportune time to have a Special Event Episode... if we can think of anything for them...

...in fact, why not have Marion Partridge's death be the 200th episode? Having "Mr. MacKenzie" make an appearance would surely be a 200th-episode-worthy event!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  11. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Sorry, my brain has gone into overdrive. I've got more ideas:

At first, I didn't really think of "Peyton Place" as a catfight show... but now I have an idea for two. You remember, @Willie Oleson , your idea of Selena Cross and Betty Anderson having a catfight in Doris Schuster's dress shop? While I do like that idea, I don't think their catfight should take place in the dress shop, because Selena works there, and she ends up becoming the manager. To get in a fight at her work would be unprofessional.

However, I did think up one brawl that happens in the dress shop. It takes place in Season 3, after Allison has disappeared. Constance is already on edge, worried sick about her daughter, but she has her friends to help console and reassure her. Selena in particular does what she can to help out, and the two end up forming a quasi-mother/daughter relationship.

One day, Constance comes into the shop to take Selena out to lunch. Several other women are there, gossiping as they paw through the latest fashions. Constance exchanges pleasantries with them, but for the most part remains quiet. Then the subject of who the new High School principal is going to be: Elsie Thorton, Allison's old teacher, who had wanted the position since Season 1, but Tomas Kyros (with whom Constance had a romance with) had been hired instead. Now that Principal Kyros had been murdered (by Allison's own father, no less), the school had been left without a principal for the remainder of the previous school-year. After a few months of searching, Leslie Harrington (head of the school board), decided "What the hey" and just gave it to Miss Thorton.

Marion Partridge, also a member of the school board, didn't like Elsie Thorton and made certain she didn't get the position back in Season 1 ("She's senile, and takes too many pills!" Marion had said, ignoring the fact that she too took quite a few prescriptions... and denying that she and Elsie are the same age).

So when the ladies start discussing the new principal, Marion, angry that she had been overruled, makes a very callous remark, about how a man had to die in order for Elsie to get what she wanted.

Constance overhears... and snaps.

She quietly walks over - and *punches* Marion right in the face, before tackling her into the racks and toppling mannequins. The other ladies scream and yell for them to stop, even trying to pry the two women apart. But Constance, who has "always been so afraid of scandal," has lost all sense of propriety and relentlessly pummels and scratches Marion, pulling her hair and ripping her dress and slamming her into the walls and floor.

The other women, who comprise of Selena, Doris Schuster, Roberta Carter (Marion's best friend), Alma Miles, Hannah Cord, Betty Anderson and her mother, Julie, do what they can to stop things. Doris screams for Selena to help her from keeping things getting knocked over; Selena is torn, as she wants to obey her boss but also help Constance; Roberta Carter tries attacking Constance as well, but she gets knocked aside by Alma Miles and Julie Anderson. Hannah Cord ends up running out to the sidewalk, yelling for help. A few men run in and help separate the two women.

Constance is foaming at the mouth, while Marion just looks relieved... though its not too long before she too becomes furious and casts a few vicious slurs at her attacker, such as, "No wonder your daughter left you! She was trying to escape you!"

Constance tries to break free of the men, but she's held firm. Betty, who thinks Marion went too far with that last remark, runs up and starts slapping her with both hands. Julie and Alma restrain Betty, and Doris Schuster starts screaming, "OUT! EVERYBODY OUT! YOU ANIMALS, GET OOOOUUUUUTTTTT!!!"

Everyone leaves, all except Selena, who comforts a sobbing Doris: "My shop! My beautiful shop! Its ruined!" Selena reassures her boss that everything can be fixed.

Word of the fight spreads like wildfire. Marion wants revenge on Constance, but her husband, who already heard the story from a lot of other people, tells his wife, "I heard from Mrs. Anderson, Mrs. Miles, and Mrs. Cord, that you were made a crude joke about Principal Kyros' death! No wonder Mrs. MacKenzie attacked you. You won't have much of a case against her."

At first, Marion refuses to believe she did anything wrong, until she goes to see Doris Schuster in the newly repaired dress shop. Doris tells Marion that Constance already apologized and paid for any damages the fight caused, and so therefore, Constance has been allowed back into the shop. However, until Marion apologizes herself, she cannot enter the shop. Marion is outraged, but Doris, annoyed, points out that she doesn't have to pay for any damage, as Constance already took care of that. Placated, Marion finally apologizes, though she still plans her revenge on Constance. She'll just sit and wait for her to make a slip...

...which happens later on in the season, when Marion overhears Selena confess to killing Lucas to Constance.

Also, I discovered a few photos on how I'd like for the dress shop to look:

The exterior:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The front of the store is like a bay window, so that people can see the mannequins (and the latest fashions) from all three sides.

[​IMG]

The interior:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    @Willie Oleson I'm starting to feel embarrassed, coming up with so many ideas.

In Season 6, that's when Michael and Constance get married. I'm thinking in the season premiere, Constance is the one who proposes. She is sitting in his car after a date or something, and she says to him, "Michael. Don't let me get away. Marry me." (This was inspired by a scene from the old TV series where Allison said the same thing to Rodney, only he, after many episodes of pursuing her, suddenly "feels confused.")

Michael happily agrees... only he asks her not to say anything yet. He wants to make an announcement the next time they go out. The next night, they go out to one of the fancier restaurants in Peyton Place, Constance looking radiant and happy, Michael giving a million-dollar-smile. Finally, Michael taps a knife against his champagne glass to get everyone's attention...

...and he suddenly gets down on one knee and asks Constance to marry him, holding out a ring (maybe his grandmother's?).

Caught off guard and confused, Constance nonetheless smiles and says yes. Later on, back in his car, she confronts him about why he did that. He confesses he felt embarrassed that she had been the one to propose, and did what he did in order to save face. Constance sympathizes, but she also tells him not to go behind her back again ("We've been through too much already to do that.").

They then decide on their living arrangements: they'll move into Constance's house, but they'll keep Michael's beach-house, either to rent out or use as a "romantic hideaway" whenever the whim takes them.

In the mid-season finale (episode 15 if I get my wish for every season to have 30 episodes), the wedding takes place. Constance wears a gown of pale pink (and I honestly decided on that color before I discovered an old magazine cover that had Dorothy Malone wearing a pink wedding dress, standing next to Elliot Carson) that came from Doris Schuster's dress shop, as did all the bridesmaids dresses. Allison gives her mother "something borrowed" for the occasion, like in the original show.

I'm also thinking that Allison decides to be the one to give the bride away, except maybe that honor should go to Matthew Swain, Constance's cousin.

After the reception, Michael and Constance leave to go on their honeymoon, and for a while, all seems happy...

....until Matthew Swain is murdered.

Earlier this season, maybe in the premiere, Selena's older brother, Paul, who left the family in the very first episode of the series, has returned. Only he's come back with his own share of secrets and troubles, in the form of some people he owes money to. Paul tries to get money from Harry Miles (since he's Selena's father-in-law now), who agrees to help him out... only for Paul to keep asking for more.

I'm not sure on the details yet, but Harry cuts Paul off, and maybe even kicks him out. Matthew Swain takes Paul in, but it results in the men Paul owes money to to break in, which results in Matthew being killed by one of them.

Paul tells the police that it was a random break in, but Selena can tell her brother is holding something back. She forces him to tell her what's going on, and Paul reveals the men also have dirt on him as well, which is why he won't go to the police. So Selena hatches a plan to trap the men by luring them into the Miles home, where the family holds them at gunpoint and call the police. Selena also gets the men to admit to Matthew's murder. They're arrested, but Selena had already told Paul to leave Peyton Place again, just in case any of the men did rat on him.

She never sees her brother again.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,830
    But where is Steven Cord?:think:

14. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about him. I just haven't thought up any stories for him. Not yet, anyway. The only detail I have thought up about him is that he's 10 years older than the Six Teens (that's what I've nicknamed Allison, Rodney, Betty, Norman, Selena and Lew, since they're the only main characters who start off the series as teenagers; and they all just so happen to start off at the age of sixteen :lol:).

I'm not sure when I'd bring Steven in, though. Maybe as a recurring character in Season 1, and in Season 2 its revealed he's Catherine Harrington's son. And I think, in Season 3, after Allison has left, Betty eagerly pursues Rodney, thinking that the two of them have a chance again. But Rodney spurns her, so Betty decides to turn her wiles on Steven. The two end up married that season or the next.

I did have an idea for how I'd end Betty's story in Season 7: After Martin Peyton dies, its discovered almost right away that he left *several* wills. One of them left everything to Rodney; another left everything to Steven; one divided things between the brothers; another divided things between the brothers AND Betty; etc...

Eventually its revealed that Betty managed to convince Martin to leave everything to her... because she told him she was pregnant with Rodney's child. Betty suspects that Martin suspected she lied (which she did), which is why he made things so difficult for when he left this world.

In the final episode, Betty is up at Peyton Manor, where she secretly burns what's supposed to be the "true" will of Martin Peyton. After making certain it all burns up in the fireplace (instead of just randomly throwing it in and missing ;) :lol:), Betty goes and lounges in the large chair that once was the favorite spot of Catherine Harrington, smug as you please. The camera then gives a low-angle side-shot of Betty, with the portrait above the mantel looming over her...

...and for a moment, the portrait, which is supposed to be of Betty, somehow looks exactly like Catherine Harrington. Is it her ghost coming back to haunt the manor? Or is it merely symbolic that Betty is destined to become the town's next Catherine, just as Jennifer Burbank is to become the next Marion Partridge?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Hey @Willie Oleson , I came up with an alternate version of my idea for Paul Cross:

In this version, its Paul Cross himself who murders Matthew Swain. However, he did it accidentally when he broke into Swain's house, looking for money - because in this version, Paul still owes some people. I'm thinking in the years that he was away, Paul Cross developed a gambling addiction, which has landed him in more than one sticky situation. When he first gets back, he takes advantage of the Miles, but eventually Harry threatens to kick him out.

Desperate to pay off his debts, Paul, who had earlier noticed a whole bunch of cash in Matthew Swain's open wallet, breaks into his house when he thinks Matthew isn't home... except he is. Because the lights are out, and Matthew hears someone fumbling around, he correctly deduces that there's a burglar and arms himself. A fight breaks out, and Paul grabs something and hits Matthew with it, making his escape... completely unaware that it was a killing blow.

It isn't until tomorrow afternoon or evening that Paul hears about Matthew being discovered dead in his home. He feels like he's been struck by a sledgehammer. But he also knows he can't come forward without facing some serious consequences, so he keeps quiet.

Later, at Matthew's funeral, Allison arises to say some final words. She announces that she intends to find whoever murdered her Uncle Matt... and that she intends to kill him. She even asks point blank for the residents of Peyton Place to help her. Michael Rossi stands up and says he'll do everything in his power to help Allison accomplish this, much to Constance's horror (Michael later points out that Matthew Swain had become his best friend during these years; he wants the killer brought to justice).

Naturally, Paul is not only racked with guilt, but also living in fear. He just can't seem to stop his insides from eating themselves, until finally it becomes too much and he confesses everything to Selena.

Now its time for Selena to feel like she's been hit with a sledgehammer. Her shock gives way to outrage, horror, frustration, confusion... before finally deciding that she must turn her brother in. However, Joey, who had been eavesdropping, comes out and begs his sister not to do that. Selena relents for Joey's sake, but she does read Paul the riot act, saying he's put them all in a ton of danger, that he could end up destroying all of their lives.

Inevitably, Allison finds out who killed Uncle Matt. Upon learning that it was Paul Cross of all people, Allison realizes that all this time, she had been imagining that Matthew had been killed by a literal monster. But instead, its the sniveling young man cowering before her, begging her to forgive him. Allison tells him she's not going to kill him... not because she forgives him (and she doesn't know if she ever will), but because she loves Selena.

Selena has no choice but to pack Paul's bags and tell him to leave Peyton Place, and never come back.

16. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    @Willie Oleson I decided in Season 7, its discovered that Ann Howard never died. When Allison discovered her laying at the bottom of the bluffs in Season 4, she only assumed Ann was dead. But when the paramedics arrived and carted her off to the hospital, Dr. Harry Miles discovered she was still alive. Martin Peyton, however, blackmailed and bribed Harry into declaring Ann was dead, and then had her sent to a mental institution.

This is discovered after Martin Peyton has died, and a letter of confession is revealed to the family. Hannah believes Martin intentionally left the letter to be found, as his way of some kind of sick joke. "He knew it would make us all suffer!"

I'm thinking Ann, thanks to her fall, can no longer walk (although I did end up thinking that, alternatively, Ann never fell, but was simply knocked unconscious and laid there on the rocks, and everybody assumed she fell or jumped).

But Ann wants revenge for the past 3 years spent locked up... and she's going to take that revenge out on Hannah Cord.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    @Willie Oleson I decided in Season 3, Norman, who had gotten a scholarship thanks to some help from Elsie Thorton and Principal Kyros back in Season 2 (right before Kyros' murder), attends Peyton College, right alongside Lew Miles.

Selena doesn't go to college, as she eagerly becomes a full-time salesclerk at Doris Schuster's dress shop (and ends up becoming the manager, thanks to her being the best worker); Betty doesn't go either, as she's more focused on getting a job (possibly as a nurse, but we all know she ends up getting hired as Martin Peyton's second assistant) and then scoring a rich husband; Allison has left town by now; and Rodney isn't interested in college either, but instead starts that garage of his (I'm thinking eventually, both Norman and Lew end up working with Rodney at the garage).

But back to Norman. At the college, he attends the English class taught by Prof. Paul Hanley, who is only 10-15 years older. I believe it was you, Willie, who wanted something to happen between them. And it does in this version, though I can't quite decide what *does* happen: either Paul seduces Norman, who gets rescued by Lew; or Norman ends up pursuing Paul, but realizes things would be easier/better with Lew; or something else - I'm open to ideas.

Either way, Norman's experience with Paul does help him grow, and it helps him come to terms with a lot of stuff about himself.

Also, this sketch did inspire me about something for Betty:

You remember how in the original series, Steven found out Betty, before they were married, spent time in New York rooming with a prostitute, and got paid by a man (it was to help her get a bus ticket back home, I believe, and not for a night of pleasure)? And how Steven completely overreacted and made a public spectacle of his wife, even ordering that Elliot Carson publish all the information in the Peyton Newspaper?

Well, I thought, why not have Steven's reaction be a little more justified? Why not have it so that, in Season 4, Steven and Betty have a huge fight that results in a separation. Betty ends up crossing paths with Allison, and asks her what life was like in New York. Allison reveals that her old roommate, actress Stephanie Wallace, is looking for a new roommate now that Allison returned to Petyon Place. So they make arrangements for Betty to stay there for a while.

Allison does warn Betty about Stephanie: that she's bisexual, and propositioned Allison once. Allison admits to Betty that she did allow Stephanie to kiss her, but things never progressed. Betty is shocked and even somewhat impressed by Allison after that. (I'm thinking that one time, Allison, in an attempt to amuse/arouse Rodney reveals this bit of information to him; not sure if it works or not. But she also reveals this experience when she finds out about Norman and Lew to let them know she's got their backs.)

Since Betty plans on staying in New York only for a little while, Stephanie gets another, more long-term roommate, Sharon Purcell, who's been having an affair with an older and rich married man. For a few episodes, Betty, Stephanie and Sharon end up having a storyline similar to "Valley of the Dolls." Naturally, Betty fills the role of Anne; Stephanie fills the role of Neely; and Sharon is Jennifer (obviously a reference to Sharon Tate). Though I don't know if Stephanie and Sharon should die at the end of this arc, but Betty ends up realizing she doesn't want this lifestyle and books it back to Peyton Place ("At least there, its the kind of craziness I know how to handle!").

Since in this version, Betty is more akin to her "bad girl" book counterpart, she probably goes along with having an affair with an older man when she goes out with the other two girls. And this of course gets back to Steven, who, like in the original series, makes a spectacle of her at his surprise birthday party... but when he hands the papers over to Matthew Swain to publish in the newspaper, Matthew marches over to the fireplace and throws them in, refusing to humiliate Betty further (Steven is outraged while Betty remains grateful).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    More ideas:

In Season 7, there are some heavy hints that Betty has discovered Susan Winter in the real murderer and not Dr. Rossi. Betty gives an evil smile, obviously pleased she be able to finally get rid of Mrs. Winter, although the series ends before we get to see that. But again, its all only hinted at, so fans are able to speculate that Betty was able to help Dr. Rossi in time.

Also in Season 7, but much earlier in the season, Susan Winter makes a joke about there being a safe behind Betty's portrait... only it turns out, there actually is. And it contains a written confession from Martin Peyton about faking Ann Howard's death and where he locked her away.

In Season 4, Allison and Betty have a catfight. I had this idea for a while now, but kept on forgetting to post about it till now for some odd reason.

First, these are the outfits I imagine them wearing, or at least what the outfits could look like:
    catfight.png

The catfight takes place in one of the upper-class Inns, where an amateur talent show is being held:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm not sure exactly how the fight gets started, like what chain of reactions cause it, but I do know that I would like it to go like this:

(Imagine Betty in place of Lucille Ball, with Allison as Maureen O'Hara; but then switch the roles towards the end, because it would make more sense for Betty to be the one being dragged by her long hair, haha.)

In the end, both girls make up, and even have a laugh about it later, although for a while there's a threatening glint in each other's eye whenever they pass each other in the street. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    I also made up a cast list for all the regular/recurring characters that appear over the course of the 7 seasons. I even came up with a way on how to organize them, by doing how "The Simpsons" keep track of all their characters: by listing every member of the Simpson family, and then branching off into different sections in relation to each family member.

For the "Peyton Place" cast, I decided to start off with the main six teenagers (Allison, Rodney, Betty, Selena, Norman and Lew) and go from there:

Allison MacKenzie
    -Constance MacKenzie
    -Elliot Carson
    -Matthew Swain
    -Michael Rossi (as he ends up marrying Constance)
    -Joe Rossi
    -Jill Smith (the woman closely associated with Joe)

Rodney Harrington
    -Leslie Harrington
    -Catherine Harrington
    -Martin Peyton
    -Hannah Cord (not related, but still very important to the family)
    -Steven Cord
    -Ann Howard

Betty Anderson
    -George Anderson
    -Julie Anderson

Selena Cross
    -Lucas Cross
    -Nellie Cross
    -Paul Cross
    -Joey Cross
    -Peter Drake (Selena's future husband)

Norman Page
    -Evelyn Page

Lew Miles
    -Harry Miles
    -Alma Miles

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  20. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,572
    Other families:

Marion Partridge
    Charles Partridge

Harmon Carter
    Roberta Carter
    Ted Carter
    Jennifer Burbank (Ted's future wife)

David Schuster
    Doris Schuster
    Kim Schuster

Gus Chernak
    Joe Chernak
    Stella Chernak
    Richard Jensen (Stella's abusive lover)

Lee Webber
    Sandy Webber
    Chris Webber

Sgt. William Walker, a black cop; possibly the Chief of Police
    Joanne Walker, William's daughter, of whom he's very protective; she's a few years younger than the main teens, and idolizes Selena for being a fashionable working girl

Tom Winter
    Susan Winter

Eli Carter (based on Eli Carson from the original show, but no longer Allison's grandfather; though he does have a grandfatherly role with all the youths in town)
    Maggie Riggs (Eli's future wife)

Other characters:

Tomas Kyros, Principal of Peyton High School
    Elsie Thorton, teacher and later Principal of Peyton High School

Nurse Choate
    Kathy Ellsworth, another nurse at Peyton Hospital; I'm thinking about making her older, black, and having a romance with the widowed Sgt. Walker, only Joanne, still missing her mother, disapproves

Paul Hanley

Rev. Jerry Bedford, who falls for Betty in Season 3, but graciously steps aside when Betty chooses Steven; but in Season 7, when it looks like Betty and Steven's marriage is failing, Jerry comes back into her life

Jack Chandler

The Judge, so far a nameless character who always proceeds over the cases that happen on the show

Stephanie Wallace
    Sharon Purcell

That's all for now, but I think that's almost enough to last 7 seasons, right? :lol:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1