If Christopher Had Been JR's Son

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    It might have been more interesting to show JR looking for the son that Kristen claimed she had and then found out Christopher was his son. If they had shown JR look worried about where his son was and wonder why he couldn't find him. I wonder how Pam would have handled it if instead of offering to let Bobby raise his son in exchange for voting his way, if JR had just shown a genuine desire to find and raise his own son.

It would have been a dramatic moment when Pam found out Bobby had lied to her and had tried to take JR's son and pass him off as a baby he had managed to adopt from a lawyer. Finding out that Christopher wasn't theirs, that he belonged to JR and Bobby had tried to hide all of that would have created a very tense situation. Having to give Christopher to JR would have been difficult for Pam. She likely would have blamed Bobby for lying about the whole situation and allowing her to get attached to Christopher instead of telling her right away: "No, this isn't a baby I brought home for us; this is JR and Kristen's baby." Bobby repeatedly said the two things he hated most were lies and secrecy. It would have made him look like a complete fool to have been saying that all those years only to expose himself as a total hypocrite.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Medals:
    The way you set up the scenario, it would have been believable and also a great story arc over several episodes.

Can you imagine how confused that kid would be living with all of that? Compared to this, Ray had it easy!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    I've always thought the Lorimar writers had shown haste with Kristin and her first pregnancy. First of all I would have preferred if Kristin (that little minx) had not been killed off at all but since the writers decided on this I would have left a question mark over her first pregnancy; that is Jock Ewing's grandson, jail baby, to survive. After Kristin is discovered dead in the Southfork swimming pool both Sue Ellen and JR go to California looking for the child only to return to Southfork not knowing where the baby is. Only Sue Ellen and JR know that Kristin was pregnant and proclaiming it was JR's. They decide to keep this information a secret.

I still would have allowed Farraday to enter the picture, offering to sell the baby (knowing it wasn't his anyway so may as well make some quick cash) which Bobby reluctantly does. I still would have continued with the story that only Bobby knows the true parentage of Christopher after viewing the birth certificate which Farraday hands to Bobby. Of course we don't see this, just Bobby's reaction to it. Was it JR's? Was it one of the Cartel men?

When it was announced TNT Dallas was coming and David Jacobs was asked on his thoughts he said he would have preferred John Ross to be the good guy and Christopher the bad seed. I see where he was coming from. Between Dallas: War of the Ewings and TNT Dallas there were 14 missing years. Anything could have happened when we left the Ewing family in 1998. I would have preferred if Christopher (now late teens) after years of torment about not being a true blood Ewing leaves Southfork and goes to California to seek answers. All this of course would have happened off screen.

Then TNT Dallas begins and the dark Prince, Christopher, returns to Southfork knowing the whole sordid truth about his mother and who his daddy really is. Christopher is now on a quest to gain control of Ewing Energies and destroy the Cartel.

But who is he? A Ewing? A Lee?

In the final episode of the series of TNT Dallas I would have the Ewing family gather at Southfork; JR, Sue Ellen, John Ross and Bobby, battered and bruised after a lengthy season of attempting to keep control of Ewing Energies only to see it all slip through their fingers. Then enters Christopher and answers a question which has been burning since 1980.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    I love it. When Dallas was running out of ideas and the ratings were showing it that was the time to speed things up - push the two boys into their teen ages years, of not college and restart things with:

JR in the role of Jock running EO, West Star, the Cartel, you name it.

Sue Ellen in the Miss Ellie role running a charitable foundation Clayton and Miss Ellie leave behind to travel, living in the city, slowly putting back together a romance with JR.

John Ross as a good kid, Bobby, taking care of the ranch and knowing enough about business to a threat - very much like Jock, and with all the friends and true power.

Chris as the bad kid, JR, 1/2 Bobby’s, 1/2 JR’s he’ll bent to lead the family, the role JR just naturally assumes - he fights everyone. JR is proud of his ruthlessness. John Ross feels bad for his brother and all he goes through. Sue Ellen feels guilty for hating him as a baby and the death of her sister. Bobby still looks at him as a son and wants to help help him. He’s determined to take everything from Cliff first.

Bobby running the ranch, with enough money and influence to be a challenge to JR. A major player in Dallas through the Cattleman’s bank, politics and ranching.

They didn’t need to wait until the movies or tnt - just at the end of one cliff hanger advance the next season by 5-10 years. People hurt at the end of one cliff hanger given 10 years to realistically recuperate. If they could do a dream a ten year jump was possibly. Better than running out of ideas and getting silly.

5. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I agree, I do think they missed out on a big storyline. I was also really disappointed with the lack of interaction between Sue Ellen and Christopher in TNT Dallas.

6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    Especially when Christopher returns with the NEWS his mother had died all those years ago. But I didn't expect anything less from TNT Dallas. Cynthia rarely allowed the characters to show heart and her arrogance in not watching Lorimar Dallas displayed how out of touch she was with characters like Bobby and Sue Ellen. Bobby appeared to just shrug his shoulders when learning of Pam's demise. And how difficult would it have been for the TNT Dallas writers to create a heartfelt scene at Southfork between Sue Ellen and Christopher. The guy has now lost 2 mothers.

And to top it off in Cynthia's bizarre Dallas world we also lost Christopher :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I think writers tend to shy away from leaving a permanent conflict for the “happy couple”, and that’s what the situation would have been had Christopher been J.R.’s. Same thing happened over on “The Colbys”, when Fallon’s daughter turned out to be Jeff’s and not Miles’. Both situations would have been more interesting and set up future storylines better if J.R. and Miles had been the respective fathers.